Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anyone ever wanted to give up quilting? >

Has anyone ever wanted to give up quilting?

Has anyone ever wanted to give up quilting?

Old 08-17-2011, 08:27 AM

My mom taught me how to do all kinds of stitchery work, and was always doing something. When dementia started setting in she was working on some 2 inch squares sewing them together for bigger blocks. Then they just sat on the dining room table for the longest time. I finally realized that she could no longer use her machine,she "forgot" how. I have all those squares now that she is gone, but I cannot even think about working those squares... dementia is so terrible, the body is willing but the mind just does not let it happen....
Old 08-17-2011, 08:27 AM

My mom taught me how to do all kinds of stitchery work, and was always doing something. When dementia started setting in she was working on some 2 inch squares sewing them together for bigger blocks. Then they just sat on the dining room table for the longest time. I finally realized that she could no longer use her machine,she "forgot" how. I have all those squares now that she is gone, but I cannot even think about working those squares... dementia is so terrible, the body is willing but the mind just does not let it happen....
Old 08-17-2011, 08:39 AM

Cant understand anyone giving up quilting. There are so many patterns...so very many fabrics. I get excited just talking about it. Hang in there, from what I read, that "dry" spell will pass.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:26 AM

NO, but I am in the process of downsizing my old stash so I have room for MORE new fabrics. LOL
Old 08-17-2011, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Dreaming
The other day I was at my mom's and she said that she was going to massively downsize. She seems to have lost interest in quilting. This has been going on for quite awhile and she decided to get rid of most of her fabic, and she has tons. Has this ever happened to anyone and then you got interested again?

Why? Why would anyone ever to give up quilting? And then are those. Don't know---maybe it will happen to me some day. Can't predict what will happen in the future. Just hope not to me.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:37 AM

From time to time I seem to get burnt out, so won't do anything for several months or even the better part of a year, then something hits me and I will get busy again, even to the point of major pushing myself for a couple years. Seems like I do this about every 3 years....
Old 08-17-2011, 10:05 AM
Power Poster

Because of many and varied circumstances, we found ourselves giving our house back to the bank and downsized to a 2-bedroom apt. Six months after the move and 18 months after the loss of my only sister, I managed to deal with my grief by making the twin-size quilt she and I were going to make together for her great-grandaughter. After completing the top I had to put it aside to make the family reunion quilt - Sister's Choice - in memory of my sister. Those two milestones, if you will, seemed to help me work out my depression and I am proud to say that I am quilting once again. I now feel whole again, and I'm much happier. Quilting, for me, has been my creative outlet and my sanity for many years and without it part of me was missing, but I'm happy to say quilting and I have now reconnected and I'm much happier, as well as more productive. I quit for a short while, but I could never give it up completely.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:08 AM

Never. LOL
Old 08-17-2011, 10:32 AM
Bev

Just recently, while I was going through the massive task of moving from a very large house into a very small house (my DH retired) I got the bad feeling that I would not make quilts anymore. My DH wanted me to give it up because it takes up too much of my time, and I just couldn't get my stuff reorganized for this new smaller space. So, I dropped everything and took a quilting workshop with a favorite teacher of mine. Now I think I'm getting back in the swing again. I only allow myself about two hours a day, maybe four or five days a week. Things are looking better. :wink:
Old 08-17-2011, 11:10 AM

I don't quilt everyday. In fact probably only about 2 or 3 days a week at the most. I only make TV throws, baby quilts, placemats or potholders. Small enouogh that I can finish them easily. I find that by doing this, I don't get bored or overwhelmed and love to continue quilting.