Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anyone had this happen? >

Has anyone had this happen?

Has anyone had this happen?

Old 12-02-2011, 05:41 AM

I have learned from quilting with my monsters tha go with what they want. They will stay interested in quilting and sewing. I have five of them and they know what they want and not happy if i try to change their minds lol. Trust me I'm putting pin up fabric on the back of our 13 year olds quilt because that's what he wants. I told him that he will catch it from every woman about his quilt lol and they will want it to stay in a closet and they will say you were how old and your mother did that? Anyway, it's tasteful but just know your not alone and go with it!
Old 12-02-2011, 07:01 AM

Just go with what she picked out. Better to have her like the quilt than just toss it aside if you force other colors. Have on GD that will be 13 this month and she wants pink zebra for a slouch bag. Evidently not the only person that likes that as the quilt stores have it by the bolt in multiple colors.

mltquilt
Old 12-02-2011, 07:05 AM

I say go with her fabric choices. You did allow her to pick out the fabric after all. She will love it because it's what she wants, plus her grandma made it for her.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:37 AM

I'm having the same problem with a quilt that I am making for my niece for Christmas. I had her pick out her own colors and she went with lime greens in a large print, and mostly browns, dark, med and light. There is a small 2X2 square of blue in the center.(quilt is 60X60). I need at least 15 more colors to finish the blocks that go around the center block and not sure what to pick !!! More blues really tie it together but she says she's not really a blue person !!! I'm looking for more of the lime green and will add some more blue but its getting late !!! They are a version of a log cabin block so hopefully I will be able to pull it off. I'll post it if it ever gets done !!!
Old 12-02-2011, 08:16 AM

Yep, go with what she wants. She's in her "dark" teenage phase at the moment and it could be quite attractive. I only refused when my GD wanted me to put black backing on a white and bright patchwork quilt!
Old 12-02-2011, 08:18 AM

I believe those colors will work together as when my parents built their house when we where all kids still at home we where able to pick out the colors for our bedrooms. My sister went with deep purples and pinks with no lighter colors and it look wonderful. She also had black walls!! Please note we had our rooms in the basement with just two little windows per room and with all these dark rich colors it still looked wonderful and bright.

I also had a quilt my grandmother made me when I was about six, and I had picked out my own colors as well and I will say now the colors don't match the best, but at the time I thought it was the best thing ever as I was able to pick out what I wanted and after watching my grandma create such beautiful quilts, she used my fabrics. Looking back after this quilt was made and my grandma used what I had picked it really sparked my urge to learn how to sew and create things myself. As if grandma would use it, I knew it had to be good. Hope this helps.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:26 AM

I would use what she picked out. You won't have to look at it all the time.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:52 AM

Let her have what she wants. We always say it is our quilt and we can do what we want with them so ;this is her quilt. I would not add anything
Old 12-02-2011, 11:23 AM

Thanks to all who replied to my post. I appreciate it.
I would never have gone against her wishes and have had her here while
putting it together and she sticks to her guns.
I like the idea of making a pillow and throwing in ssome bright fabric.
I think that is a great idea.
I just wanted to know from all you expierienced members.
Again, THANKS
Old 12-02-2011, 02:43 PM

The girl is stuck on pink and purple. Go with that. When she gets older she will wonder what the problem is.