Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone looked in your sewing room and gasped at the mess?

I do admit I have a messy sewing room...but know that I need that creative mess around me....if things get too clean and neat, I don't know where to find anything.

As long as I have a path and a spot for the dog quilt (she helps me quilt by napping), I am happy. Doesn't matter what others think, I live here and I can close the door if I think it could cause a stroke. Every time I clean it up and make it neat I can't find anything.

Blog Entries
    people who have spotless, clean, neat houses are NOT having any fun......so who wants to be like that?

Power Poster
    Yea me everyday.

Same here. Sure wish I was a Jeanie and could just blink my eyes and it would be all cleaned up. My DH has even came in to help clean but then I can't find anything. Lol. Happy sewing

What happened to you also happened to me - only in my case it was someone I had known for 50 years. The whole of her neighbourhood heard about it as well and I got a lot of rude and uncalled for remarks made to me. Consequently we are no longer on speaking terms and noone else gets the chance to do any back stabbing.
    I think it is rather sad when people have such an anal complex that they can't tell the difference between work mess, batting fluff and dirt.

Dee
    I don't pay mind to those who gasp. Its my own creative room.

Blog Entries
    My boss came for a visit to my home and pointedly ask to see my craft room. I have a variety of "crafty" hobbies and enjoy the sprit of creativity. Against my better judgement.... I relunctantly showed it to her... she is a very persistent person.

Typically, I am a very organized person; however, my room was not in the best of conditions at this time. When she did see it... she was speechless.... and had the audacity to compare me to the "hoarders" show. It was not, by any means near that bad. Needless to say, our relationship has not been the same since.

Don't think she will be gifted with one of my quilts. ;-)

a clean work area is the sign of a sick and un-creative mind!!!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cosyquilter
    I gasp at my own mess...LOL.
    Ditto, and sometimes gasp and gasp, but it doesn't always change, it's still a mess. lol But I really don't want anyone seeing my mess either. At least it's my mess and even if I'm not comfortable with it i don't want others to see it. My daughter just shakes her head. She doesn't sew and her coment is usually Oh Mom, what a mess, please get some of this stuff cleaned up before something happens to you and I have to do it. lol. She would probably just throw it all out - horrors, what a waste. I think I need to make a sewing Will, so at least my stuff will go somewhere other than the dump.

Welllllllllll I have one question for you" when you are dead and gone would you like it written on your toomstone this lady was as neat as a pin! orrrrrrrrrr would you like it to read this lady was creative and made lots of people happy with her creativity??? Ignore the gasp" lols there are much more important things in life"

Blog Entries
    I go into my den of fabric daily with the intention of clean up and do some sorting. Well first thing I know I'm sitting down sewing or cutting or planning. I don't look around at the mess.
    I think I'm fairly normal.
    I also don't invite any one into my cave of fabric.

the door on that room has a purpose, it is my room and I can close it off if and when I don't want anyone in there!! It took me a long time to get this room and I am very selfish about it, it is MINE and I love the mess! terrt

Blog Entries
    [quote=JulieR]
    Quote Originally Posted by thequilterslink
    No one gasps at my Sewing room, they run screaming in terror, but i know where everything is in there
    At least I know where everything is until I need it!!!
    :idea:

Being new at quilting, I had gone to a neighbor's house and she was showing me some of the projects she was working on and the thought went through my head "EEEE gads, I will never let my room look like this", Well, after finishing my first two quilts and starting my third......guess what, that thought that I had...well, it went right out the window!!! ;-D

My sewing room is my sanctuary & I know exactly where everything is even tho it may be a mess for someone else. For those of us blessed to have a room of our very own to stop in the middle of a project & leave it for our next free time is truly special no matter what it looks like to anyone else. I wish I had more time to spend posting comments because every quilt I have seen here is awesome & you all deserve recogntion! I haven't posted any pics of mine yet, but recently finished 2 memory quilts, & donate the rest to charity, so when I get my new pc, I'll post them.

Blog Entries
    I'm sorry that happened to you. This is the way I have always been and it is thanks to my mother. My dad had MS and we took care of him at home. As he got sicker and sicker, the housework slid and the house became less of a showplace. My mother and I have the same attitude now. If you come to see me, fine. If you come to see my house, don't bother:)

I have to keep mine cleaned up.We have customers who come in where we sew on quilts. They also can go in the fabric rooms if they want to pick out fabric from our stuff.

Blog Entries
    I have a small room that also doubles as a guest room. I can't work in a disorganized room. I get frustrated if projects are not together or if things are not where they should be. Consequently, my messes are easy to clean up when sewing.

But, when my guests come, I have to move things to make room for them especially since I use the bed for another table. I'm not sure that my room ever looks *neat* or orderly...but I'm happy with it.

laughing...my nephew (who is staying with us) once started to give a tour of our place and I stopped him when I realize what he was doing. I told him that my rooms (sewing and bedroom) were not on the tour.

A
    If you never used your cookie sheet, it would shine like new & nobody would taste your great cookies. If you never loved to sew, your room would look like a clean showcase; if you never loved, you've missed out on the most wonderful thing in the wjole world. Please, do not think of what others think - just what you are doing/loving, Live, Laugh, Love & Quilt! The 'mess' just may never be 'clean.'

Blog Entries
    my husband always just shakes his head...says he's scared to go in there. we keep the door closed. I cringe when I walk in myself

Blog Entries
    sewing room a mess? in my fifth wheel the living room doubles as my sewing room. the couch is my 'display' area. since we move about every two weeks i must clean up my 'room'. however, i do leave the 'to be quilted' tops on display on the couch. we don't get much company so there is no problem there.

My DH does, but I remind that I don't have entire building to use for my hobby, LIKE HE DOES!

End of comments.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gzuslivz
    Well, I aspire to me neater. It is a work in progress. I have had years of mental and physical illness which caused my house to become "Crapalot". So it's taking time to get things under control. Bedroom - check. Livingroom - check. Upstairs bathroom - check. DD's room - in progress :-) Sewing room - in progress!!! If it doesn't bother you or the ones you live with, then it's not a problem (unless it's a health hazard). If if bothers someone, then just work on it bit by bit.
    I know the progress is slow. But I am on the path of being happy. I had a horrible childhood so now I get to call the shots. I am having a better second childhood. I am not dead yet so there is hope that it will be clean. My plan is for spring break to work on the 26 foot by 14ft sewing room.

Wow Skothing..that will be one great sewing room..I am happy for you..Kathleen in IN

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 LastLast