Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 8 9

Thread: Has anyone looked in your sewing room and gasped at the mess?

Blog Entries
    In my four room apartment, everything except the small kitchen and the bathroom which is 1.5 times larger than the kitchen. I sew in the bathroom. Today, the manager of the building wanted to show a neat furnished 4 room apartment to a lady and she chose mine. Guess what, my sewing machine was open in the bathroom, newspapers which I lay out to catch the scraps that fall to the floor and fabric pieces on the toilet lid and the sink. I was working with red fabric. When she started to show the bathroom, I held a piece of red fabric over my face except for my eyes. The visitor commented that I should not be embarrassed as she used to sew and her larger sewing room looked worse than my bathroom. She also said, and you even have to put everything away at night so you can shower, etc. Made me feel better. So, if someone sees your messy work room, just tell them that it will be messy until you finish the quilt you are working on, then invite them to come sort pieces, etc. They will change their mind-----quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by champagnebubbles
    Nope, I am a clean as you go girl. I really do pick up before I leave the room in the evening. I learned the hard way when it was all in my dinning room.
    Me too! Don't have enough room to have a mess.

I am fortunate that my hubby and kids understand. My sewing mess (I mean room) is also the guest room when my grandkids spend the nite. Thank goodness they don't care and want to help me sew! I have very limited storage space so I have piles in me space.

Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    Please...check this out...though I have to say, it is better this week, and I have been in there working...

remember this is one corner of a 8' x 10' room, NOT my entire house...
    I would feel comfortable in your room, like I was at home!! LOL
    Most people don't have sewing rooms. I've been married almost 50 years and have washed, cleaned, cooked all that time. I think take-out, fast food was invented for me! At my age I don't want to waste time doing all the menial chores, just make the beds, clean the kitchen and bathrooms, and I'm good to go. "Sew much fabric, sew little time". What's it going to be sew or clean to make other folks happy. What I can control til I reach the "other side", I'm not going to worry what others think, say, or gasp... they're probably no fun anyway!!!! LOL

I sew on my dinette table, cut on my coffee table and store my fabric in boxes behind my livingroom chairs and on one side of my bedroom and anywhere else I can find a space. I also have boxes on my deck. My apartment just doesn't have any enough storage. My daughter crochets so she has her boxes. Things get cleaned up when we get company.

My sewing room is MY personal space. DO NOT utter in any shape or form a negative comment about it. To be creative, you have to have a messy mind. If your environment supports that, so be it. In your mad insane moments you will reorganize, clean or put away. But you will never stop creating. The rest of the house, that is a different story.

I am sorry that happened. People gasp at the size of the room and yesterday night a fellow quilter decided to check out all my fabric, hidden behind doors, and she gasped. I do not even have any stash close to most people on the board. Maybe I should have shown your pictures. LOL Yes, I do not think it a good idea to have people in there unless you really want to.

I have a plaque by my sewing room door..it reads.."Please don`t straighten out the mess in my room..you`ll confuse me and screw up my whole world..

Blog Entries
    I am blessed with my own room and the family understands that the condition of this room is my problem. It is so much more efficient to leave a few things out. I can slip in before bed a sew or cut leaving things ready for the next step. Often with the babies I have to leave the room at a moments notice so I have a child lock on the door so they cannot get in. I am also teaching them that they can only enter with an adult because some tools could hurt them. It can be messy in there but by clearing the decks between projects I can easily find items on the fly. As with many things it comes down to personal preference, work flow and what inspires.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by helbo
    My sewing room is like my church. It's very special to me and off limits to casual visitors. Mostly because I have pieces I'm working on and do NOT want any comments until I'm ready to show my work. My DH brought my SIL in to see my room, I heard her gasp, like the people do when they see hoarders. I was in the middle of a project and you really could not walk in the room. My DH was trying to show off my work so he gets a pass, but I asked him to please never show my craft room again. I was at a loss for words when I heard the gasp of horror...She does not do crafts, so no messes at her house. I do clean up and put away once I'm done with a project (okay, sometimes I do). I guess the best attitude is if momma's creating the best thing to do is duck to avoid flying fabric.
    Some people will never understand - too bad, they do not know what they are missing !

:roll

Never. lol

simple quilter

I live in a building with 120 other persons and i do not invite any of them to my apartment. they see projects when i will my cart back and forth t o the arts and crafts room. It is called an invasion of privacy :lol: especially if they are not a crafter or quilter.

Hope your church isn't off liits to casual visitors. They may be the ones that need it.

I feel so much better now. I gasp at my own messes but that's life when you're creative!!

I gasp almost every time I walk through the door!.....but then I settle in and it feels so right! :)

A new quilty friend came over for the first time recently, as she stood in the middle of my sewing/mess/guest room she quietly asked " have you sewed all your life"?

yes... every day I look at it and think about cleaning it up. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by laughingquilter
    I gasp almost every time I walk through the door!.....but then I settle in and it feels so right! :)
    Glad I'm not the only one.

Quote Originally Posted by cosyquilter
    I gasp at my own mess...LOL.
    Same with me!

My husband sometimes gasps, but his hobby is miniature clipper ships - it's all scale related, because HIS mess can be covered with a mixing bowl every time. Mine, well, the mixing bowl'd be buried in fabric...!

my husband.........he threatens to straighten everything out.......i tell him he wouldn't dare......and if he does howwill i be able to find what i need????

I'm fairly neat in my little "suite" as well. I have 3 rooms in our finished basement. I did leave layouts of quilt squares on a sheet on the carpet until my Boston terrier rolled in them, and I put the quilt together strangely. Now, I normally put stuff away when I'm done, at least off the floor.

Especially myself!!!!!!! but I do not do anything about it!

don't worry, be happy. I remember when I was sewing my clothes and I would cut something out and sew it and put my things neatly away. Now i am a quilter and there is nothing net about quilting, so don't worry be happy. I am happy in my sewing mess. Like someone said you can't create in neatness.

What mess? That is creativity in its purest form and it's my room!

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 8 9