Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
has anyone made a quilted shower curtain? >

has anyone made a quilted shower curtain?

has anyone made a quilted shower curtain?

Old 06-25-2010, 03:07 PM

I made one for my hall bath about 10 years ago, here it is. I haven't thought about it but maybe it's time to update it!!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-87409.jpe  
Old 06-25-2010, 03:33 PM

My daughter uses store bought quilts for shower curtain all the time. She hasnt had any problems, uses a vinyle liner to keep water from it.
Old 06-25-2010, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by clem55
My daughter uses store bought quilts for shower curtain all the time. She hasnt had any problems, uses a vinyle liner to keep water from it.
How would you hang a store bought quilt? Use cafe clips or put button holes or grommets? Interesting idea
Old 06-25-2010, 05:29 PM
Power Poster

I would SID to make it lay nicer and launder better... I think it might hang nicer without any batting.
Button holes, grommets, clip on hangars, tabs, would all work equally well.
Old 06-26-2010, 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by amma
I would SID to make it lay nicer and launder better... I think it might hang nicer without any batting.
Button holes, grommets, clip on hangars, tabs, would all work equally well.
Oh I agree 100% No batting. But if you simply felt you have to have batting, I would buy some cheap thin fleece at walmart. that way you could still have the quilting effect. But I agree with amma, I wouldn't put batting in it.
Old 06-26-2010, 02:18 AM

We are putting a new bathroom in and was thinking about making a quilt shower curtain. I don't think that I would put a batting in either.
Old 06-26-2010, 03:04 AM

I had been thinking about making a quilted shower curtain for our new home, but I thought that would be a bit odd. Glad to hear that others are thinking along the same line. Now if I can only get a chance to actually sit down and sew!
Old 06-26-2010, 04:55 AM

I am so with you on that one. I knew DH was going to be busy last evening, so I thought that would be a good time to get some sewing done, but no. One of my horses decided to get herself cast in her stall and then proceeded to colic (or possibly the other way around, lol). So, after getting a load of frantic phone calls from friends, I ended up spending all evening at the barn taking care of my girl, who is now fine - thank goodness!

I do like the idea of a quilted shower curtain and might try that for the guest bathroom, that is if county ever gets around to issuing the permit we need to complete the remodel.
Old 06-26-2010, 05:54 AM

I would do it like funnyfarm did, seamed on three sides only and left open at the bottom (and not quilted) like lined draperies are made. It will hang better and 'poof' less that way. It will also probably dry faster and be less apt to mildew if air can get in between the layers. Don't forget that the steam from the shower will dampen the fabric even if the actual spray does not. You can get inexpensive tools to put grommets at the top and hang it from the same rings as the vinyl liner.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:18 PM

I have seen a quilted shower curtain- looked just like a quilt. She used the pinch-clip shower rings. I have been thinking I would like to make one too. Have this great CATERWAULING fabric......would love to use that fabric to re-decorate my bathroom. Good Luck.