Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anyone shipped a quilt to Europe? >

Has anyone shipped a quilt to Europe?

Has anyone shipped a quilt to Europe?

Old 04-24-2012, 03:53 AM

I shipped a baby quilt to a friend of mine in France - i just took it to the post office, they gave me a box, I filled out the paperwork (as a gift) put the estimated value on it and $15.00 later was out the door. She got it 2 weeks later. I would rely on the US Postal service expertise to get it through.

Hey hevemi - I used to work for a company called Ahlstrom out of Helsinki and the above mentioned friend's family was from Turku! Such a small world...
Old 04-24-2012, 03:59 AM

When you ship a quilt anywhere, never never never put the word "QUILT" where it can be seen on the outside of the package, as quilts are stolen all the time. Call it "cloth" or "bedding" maybe.
Old 04-24-2012, 04:05 AM

I have an APO so it's like shipping to the states for me. There are some things that cannot be shipped to an APO and I had a dress shipped to my German address. I don't know about where he is but DHL is who delivers here. I have seen a UPS truck as well. I know that if you ship Fed Ex from the states it will sit at a port for a month...Joanns uses Fed Ex. I would ask your son who delivers there and use a company where it is not switching hands or companies in transit. They would be able to give you the tricks to avoid customs fees and taxes because I believe it's all in how you claim it on the customs forms.When I shipped the formal here I was given a choice to pay like 10 euro in up front customs charges verses waiting til it got here. I paid the upfront, took 3 days to get here. Hope it helps and good luck!!
Old 04-24-2012, 02:03 PM

I'm from Europe and often send things home to family. I always use the US Post Office. Since last October, they have stopped shipping things by boat and everything has to go via air, which has raised the cost of shipping appreciably. If you have a baby-sized quilt it will fit into the prepaid cube box, but even that now costs $47 (approx). My solution has been to put quilts (I only make lap-size) into a Tyvek envelope (they're the ones that are a cross between fabric and paper and feel sort of slippery), suck the air out of it (like those vacuum bags) and seal tightly. Make sure that on the customs documents you emphasize "gift" or "personal gift" and use the value of the materials. I usually mark mine as $25 and haven't yet had anyone charged taxes or customs. There is a limit on the value of gifts received per year, but if you're only shipping one quilt, then your son shouldn't exceed his personal limit.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:04 PM

Lynn VT wrote " not to mark as Quilt". She is absolutely right. Sometimes at Customs - in cases when the value of the gift is hard to evaluate- they take into account the estimated RESALE value. Just mark it as "bedding" as she recommended and give your value in the price of materials ( but if you used let's say Echino linens don't tell them that!). Gifts under 45 Eur- about $40- are exempt from custom duty, and as the VAT will be less than 10 Euros it will not be collected in EU countries.

Last edited by hevemi; 04-24-2012 at 11:05 PM. Reason: bad spelling
Old 05-03-2012, 08:00 PM

Thanks for all the good advice, I really appreciate it!!