Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anyone thought about this? >

Has anyone thought about this?

Has anyone thought about this?

Old 02-17-2012, 01:43 PM

No problem for my DH.....he'd just let everything sit until mice, dry rot, rust and mildew take over.
Old 02-17-2012, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by TanyaL View Post
It bothers me what my kids will have to do with all of my stuff not just quilting stuff. I even have lots of my mother's things and she died 4 years ago.

Our church is participating in a community wide yard sale. It will be along both sides of a highway about 20 miles long and the our profits will be used to send kids to summer camp for a week. I hope to empty an entire storeroom full of WW1 and older antiques and just plain old stuff - dish sets, Christmas decorations, books, furniture, etc. Everything I consider "extra."
I'm constantly fighting this battle. I try to regularly get rid of stuff, but still have too much! I was thinking today that I need to make a bunch of pillows for charity for next Christmas just to use up all the misc. batting/poly fiberfill that I have.
Old 02-17-2012, 02:43 PM

Good idea!! If you ever decide to get rid of the oriental fabriclet me know! I love making Japanese quilts!! My mom is Japanese!!
Old 02-17-2012, 02:59 PM
Power Poster

I just had that talk with my daughter a few months ago. I even had to confess to where it's all stashed. We had a good laugh and she wanted to know if I needed an intervention for hoarding ( had to think for a minute or two); I think I convinced her I didn't. I'll be one of those people that if I'm not dead, I'll die from embarrassment when all my fabric is "found". LOL
Old 02-17-2012, 03:07 PM

You can fill out a Quilter's Will. http://quiltville.com/quilterswill.shtml

I am trying to bust some of my stash so that there won't be too much to worry about.
Old 02-17-2012, 03:55 PM

If you have any interest in a particular daughter, DIL or friend having a particular sewing machine or any items, get it in writing and leave it where it can be found. You never know the ill feelings and power struggle that some things can become when two or more people decide to make an issue of an item.

Last summer I accidentally inherited a quilter's stash. I never met her or her family. A friend met a family desperately trying to clear out a relative's apartment, down to the last day and they had to dispose of fabric. They asked if she knew anyone who sewed. My friend took it all and divided it between me and her SIL, who is a quilter. I felt very blessed. I donated several red/white/blue quilt tops that came with the stash to a group that quilts for veterans. I feel sad her family didn't take more of it, but it did come to someone who appreciates it.
Old 02-17-2012, 04:09 PM

Thank you for bring this up. I have told DH, but as mentioned in one of the posts, if we both went together...
I was at my sisters in TX when she passed and what a mess to clean out, I said I would not leave that... Good intentions; 6 years later I have not started....
Keep saying I am going to make a spreadsheet of what items go together and how to dispose of it all.
Old 02-17-2012, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by cmrenno View Post
You can fill out a Quilter's Will. http://quiltville.com/quilterswill.shtml

I am trying to bust some of my stash so that there won't be too much to worry about.
I read this "Will" awhile back and it is a great place to begin. I shared with my friend my wishes. But it NEEDS to be put in writing! Thanks for the reminder.
Old 02-17-2012, 06:31 PM

I went to an estate sale a year or two ago that featured lots of fabric and sewing machines, etc. It was so sad to see all the fabric just heaped on a flatbed trailer. To make it even worse - the woman had no living children and her grandchildren - all girls - didn't get along so they were bidding against each other for her stuff. It was heartbreaking. This thread really makes you think. Unfortunately just because we love our stashes and machines doesn't mean that our families will want it. Good to make some decisions while we still can to make sure that it goes to someone that will use it and create something good.
Old 02-17-2012, 06:59 PM

Oh, this is a good idea! I don't have much of anything else that is worth anything, but my quilting/sewing stuff is worth a small fortune... to quilters anyway. Without it all my house would be practically empty.