Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anyone thought about this? >

Has anyone thought about this?

Has anyone thought about this?

Old 02-20-2012, 02:55 PM

Two stories here with very different endings. My sister-in-law passed away and my brother did not know what to do with her "stuff". It sat for a year and then I became the owner of nearly all of her "quilty" things. Some I did not even know how to use but over time I learned. I am keeping some items for her children and have made baby quilts for each of her grandchildren to date with a square she made for a quilt but had left over. It has been a thrill to work through her stash and learn to use her tools.

A friend remarried a a widower a year ago and her soon to be spouse needed to clean out all of his wife's quilting materials and tools. No one in the family wanted it and it all went to... Goodwill. I would have been pleased to carry it all away but the offer was not made. More than once when I have brought in one of my quilts to show, I hear the sadness of in my friends voice when she says "I wish I had known how you would have used those things. You could have had them all." All I am sure of is that some else must have needed the fabric, tools, machines, books and so on more than I did. I have been blessed with plenty, but plenty more is nice too! Tee-Hee.

The moral of the story is ... speak you desire to those who will be caring for you quilt items after you are gone. Let them know your wishes.
Old 02-20-2012, 03:19 PM

Anything that my DD doesn't want is to go to my quilt club friends. DD doesn't quilt---yet---but she might by that time. I told DH that I want my fabric and machines to go to friends who will appreciate it and make beautiful quilts with it. I am a supporter of Goodwill, but my fabric should go to people I love.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:22 PM

I have already told my daughter that if anything happened to me she is to come to my house and get my Pfaff sewing machine, quilting materials, Longaberger baskets, and Robert Tino prints. I know if she doesn't my DH will sell them in a yard sale for $1.00.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:36 AM

I have talked with my Dh about my passing before him and he said he would keep all of my sewing things to keep me close to him. I told him to contact my friends in the guild about the fabric and thread and if he wants to keep the machines that is fine. I buy fabric for each project I have going so I don't have very much of a stash to leave behind. But there is lots of thread here, mostly embriodery.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Holly J. View Post
I am so sorry if this sounds selfish, but I am a newbie quilter and don't have many quilting items or much stash yet, and only 5 quilting books. I would love to know how I might be in touch with anyone wanting to get rid of quilting items - they would definitely go to a good home - to someone who is very interested in quilting (Me). I am so in love with this new craft, and the only other quilter I know is my Mom, who is 20 years older than me (in her 80's) and doesn't need any more quilting items. Is there a place on this site where someone can post quilting items for sale or to purchase, or even for donations? I'd be very interested in finding our if anyone wants to donate quilting items to newbie quilters. Thanks. (Hope I haven't offended anyone.)
There is a spot on the board for selling/trading fabric, books, patterns, etc. There are also those who post pay-it-forward items. You can check there. 'Members Only Thrift Shop and Yard Sale' is the section name.

If you are working on a particular project, you might ask for help. There are several projects going on all the time - quilts of valor, quilts for kids, projects for shelters for abused women and children, etc.

There are also times when a quilter in need is 'showered' with fabrics, etc.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:13 AM

My daughter intends to give everything to thrift stores. I approved of the move, peolpe who can't afford to spend a lot of money can have access to good stuff.She get a big tax write off.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:23 AM

My executor would be in a mess so my best friend will be helping out. There is hidden money for a tasteful memorial and my friend knows exactly where the money is and what to do. She also knows where my address book is. That way she can contact my online friends as well so they know what happened. I also have a long letter done kind of journal fashion for the executor. He's pretty savy about the costs of things since he loves a bargain and I know I can leave him in charge of any estate sale. Since my relatives all live far from me I've ear marked those items to be sent to them. Small momentos for the most part. The rest will be sold and the money paid to my one daughter.