Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anyone thought about this? >

Has anyone thought about this?

Has anyone thought about this?

Old 02-19-2012, 09:34 AM

Everything I have will go to my niece. Fortunately, both she and her 8 year-old-daughter have become interested in quilting so my "stuff" will have a good home. The other things in my house: I am documenting the things that have come down in the family (history, from whom, significance, etc.) and taking pictures of most of the other items and placing a value on them (usually what I paid for them or, if I got a great deal on it, an estimated value). I have told her and her husband to keep ONLY what they really want and sell the rest but want them to know the value so they don't sell something for 50 cents when it is worth $50.00 or more. And I try every 6 months or so to go through one room and clean out. I know I am a collector but I do try to keep it manageable.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:32 AM

Just a thought...but those of you who have quilted for quite a while could maybe find a beginner to take under your wing to teach...I'm sure they would really enjoy any surplus you don't need and you will have passed the craft on.

Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
Has anyone thought about what would happen to all you quilt "stuff" if you died? I was talking to my husband yesterday and told him that if I died, to call my quilting friend, Nettie, and have her come over and go through all my quilting items and price them and then to advertise a sell as "Quilter's Estate Sale". I found that I had 56 FQ of asian fabric plus yardage of it also. And that was just the beginning. I have so many FQ, kits, jelly rolls, charms, layer cakes, yards and yards of fabric, every notion you can imagine, tons of thread, two sewing machines, all kinds of containers for my FQ and fabric, pins, needles, rulers, ruler holders, patterns, quilting books, buttons, embroidery thread, batting, mats, all kinds of different containers to hold all my little gadgets, gadgets, irons, ironing boards, fusible web, spray starch not even opened, glue, binding machine, storage units, bookcases, dressers, cutting tables, lights, serge protectors, safety pins for quilting, tons of stash, etc. Lots of things my husband would have no use for but quilters would want. I have so much as I'm sure all of us quilters do and I don't want it to be boxed up and given to Salvation Army or sold at a yard sale. I want quilters to have first pick. So my husband knows now what to do "if" I die tomorrow. I'm only 57 but you never know.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:48 AM

I hope it's no time soon but probably my two 12 yr old grand daughters. They've taken a big interest in quilting and sewing the last couple of years.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:38 AM

I would like all of my Quilting "stuff" to go to my Quilting friends. That would be something that I would really like. It seems a shame to send everything to the Salvation Army. If the person that got my "stuff" chose to make Quilts and donate them to a worthy cause I would be delighted.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:47 PM

You have a lot of nice stuff. It's good you have a friend that knows what to do with it. It's a great idea to designate someone.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:48 PM

I so hate talking about death. But it is a fact of life, I have often wondered if I was to pass away, what would become of my things.......I have two boys........and I have told them both to keep the things I have made, because they were made with love. And no matter what, if I am gone...they can still cover up with me. I will always give them a huge hug, with my quilts.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:54 PM

even though i have told them it is valuable my kids could not wait to haul it to trash...
Old 02-19-2012, 12:57 PM

My DD is looking into quilting now too. I have only been doing it for 1 yr, but she will be the one to get all mine. Her daughter is also wanting to start more sewing. My problem is with the garden. When i die the boys are to call all my gardening friends and they will take what they want and the rest goies out so the lawn will cover that area. smile.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:59 PM

Where do you live i'll come to your sale???

Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
Since I started this thread, I've learned a lot about us quilters. We are generous. So many of you want to donate your quilting items. How wonderful. And many of you want to pass it all down to whomever wants it. The only one in my family who would want some of it would be my daughter. But, she lives in a small one bedroom so my husband would have to put it all in one of our storage shed for years until she was ready for it and by that time, it would be out of date and maybe moth bitten. I have so much and my husband paid for so much of it, I'd have to have an estate sale. From what I've read, I think I should downsize now and just keep what I really want (which is everything) and donate the rest or have a yard sale this summer with the words "Quilter's dream yard sale" in my ad. I would have to put up flyers in the quilt shops within 75 miles of my home so quilters could get a good deal. I guess I'd sell my FQ for 75 cents and yards for $2.00. I have so many kits that cost so much, but I'd have to sell them for $20 or less. I would have to just "give away" all my quilting magazines and books. I don't think anyone would pay for them. I would sell my scissors for a couple of bucks each and my thread for 50 cents each. I'm not selling all my things. Just the ones I don't have to have. I have duplicate rulers I could sell for $2. I don't know. It has to be cheap enough for people to buy it, but I would want to make money on it also. But I'm afraid I'll spend the money I make on the yard sale onmore quilting items. Maybe I should go to a quilting guild (never been to one) and tell the women there that I'm down sizing and tell them they could have whatever they want as long as they really want it and will use it. That's probably the way to go. But to hear how our precious quilting rooms end up being a pain to our relatives, I don't want that. My sister died and her best friend and I went through all her stuff and took what we wanted and made piles to give to her friends. All the quilt blocks she made went to her daughter, who hasn't even opened the boxes and it's been 9 years. And her blocks were unbelievable. Hand quilting. Embroidered. We should have kept those for ourselves. We would have put the blocks together and made quilts. I thought her daughter would treasure her mom's handmade blocks, but I was wrong. I've offered to come down and go through the boxes with her so she could "see" what she has. But really, we never know what is going to happen to our stuff unless, like lots of you, make plans ahead of time. I think I need to do that. Keep the good stuff and have the yardsale and put a tag on everything left saying who it goes to. Thanks everyone.
Old 02-19-2012, 01:15 PM

One of the ladies in our Quilting Guild asked her husband to sell everything AT the Quilting Guild, with all of the proceeds going to a small town in Africa which she had been working with for several years. There were no prices for anything. Each person decided what they wanted and how much they could pay for it. Being all quilters and especially knowing how hard our dear friend had worked to help support the African town, they were quite generous and over two thousand dollars was raised. It was just a show of love for our friend, respect for her work, and a win-win for everyone, especially each person's heart.