Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anyone thought about this? >

Has anyone thought about this?

Has anyone thought about this?

Old 02-19-2012, 03:02 PM

I will try this again. I typed , and typed and typed last night and copied it just in case ..... Well I "posted" it...and it didn't go thru . So, I just went to my "copy"...Well .the forces of evil were against me.....[Oh , Alice stop being so dramatic ]the 'copy' was nowhere to be found . I had never had that happen before . ! ! !!

So now I will try to remember all that I said late last night .

I started with, I am happy that this thread was started and that so many of You Quilters shared honest feelings about your prized possesions for your craft, your talent and your giftedness. I esp. loved the posts expressed with humor . IT can be a delicate subject to have to deal with and talk about.

I loved that many of You already knew of groups that make Quilts for others in need to donate your stuff to .
NOw that man who will use a burn barrel.........He needs to be ganged up on by a group of angry determined Quilters .
I laughed at 'TINK'S MOM ' telling her husband that if He didn't treat her treasured quilting belongings with respect She would haunt him for the rest of HIS life..! ! ! !

The idea of draping the quilts that were made and given with love to be decorating the pews or walls The one that I liked the best was the Quilting "Will" . I think I 'will ' use that one. I know it is not legal but I still will use it.

As for me , I know where my treasures will go.My church has a "Prayer Quilt Ministry" It is a wonderful church outreach program. The Quilt team will make a Quilt for anyone who requests one for -someone else who is at a difficult crossroad in their life. It could be sadness, desperation , illness ...whatever . Every Quilt has a large Cross on the back. Recipiants tell us that they feel like that are wrapped in faith by these Quilts. Even if they don't have much faith of their own, they appreciate the Quilts and the Prayers that go with them . Every Quilt has Ties approprietly place on each quiltrespecting each design . The embroidery floss ties have knots in them that represent Prayers said for the recipient .

One Sunday We had a missionary husband and wife team come to share their mission in China. The quilt team chose my very first Quilt...[ ever ] to send home to China with this couple. Can You even imagine just how amazing that felt to me.

Thank You all and Thank You ....JCROW....Who started this thread .
Sincerly...Alice

Last edited by ICU_FOSTERMOM; 02-19-2012 at 03:17 PM.
Old 02-19-2012, 03:43 PM

For my sewing machines yes, I have thought of that and told my husband who I wanted to have them. For my fabric and other quilting/crafting stuff, no I hadn't thought of it. I guess I just thought my husband would give it to family members. Guess I should give it some thought since i'm about the only one who really sews much in the family.
Old 02-19-2012, 05:00 PM

My husband already knows who to call, in my weavers guild we always have a 'dead weavers sale' when we have lost a member, I know, kind of morbid, but would be worse to see all your stuff get tossed or wasted.
I had a friend who knew that she didn't have long, had multiple health conditions and she was on the waiting list for transplant but knew the odds weren't good for her. During her last years she bought like crazy. The weavers guild took care of selling her yarn and spinning fibers, but her fabric was sold by the local 4H, she had so much it took up the gymnasium in a local school.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:15 PM

I am so sorry if this sounds selfish, but I am a newbie quilter and don't have many quilting items or much stash yet, and only 5 quilting books. I would love to know how I might be in touch with anyone wanting to get rid of quilting items - they would definitely go to a good home - to someone who is very interested in quilting (Me). I am so in love with this new craft, and the only other quilter I know is my Mom, who is 20 years older than me (in her 80's) and doesn't need any more quilting items. Is there a place on this site where someone can post quilting items for sale or to purchase, or even for donations? I'd be very interested in finding our if anyone wants to donate quilting items to newbie quilters. Thanks. (Hope I haven't offended anyone.)
Old 02-19-2012, 07:59 PM

Indeed I have thought about it. First thing I did was start sewing more quilt tops! Second thing was to tell my DH that my quilting "stuff" should be given to my sister and what she doesn't want should be donated to "my" local quilt guild - unless my niece (who is 8) is still interested in sewing at the time of my demise. Then she gets first choice. I don't want it sitting in storage for 20 years, then sold for a pittance at a yard sale, and then sit in the buyers stash for "X" number of years. I want it to be used for charity quilts, to comfort children and adults who need to know someone cares.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:17 AM

I have a DD that quilts, and inless she dies first, she will get the most of the sewing room. About half is hers anyway. She stores her stash here with me. I have stated that I would leave info with the machines.
However, I did have this conversation with my DH as he has wood working tools, 3 tractors, and we had no sons. Who gets these? What do I do with them? What/who would be a fair place for me to go to to know a fair price?
My grandma left hand written notes in just about everything she owned. She wrote who gave it to her, the date she received it, or who it had belonged to before her. Without that knowledge, the thimble I found in an old shoe box labeled sewing stuff would have just been a thimble. It belonged to Her grandma!
Old 02-20-2012, 09:20 AM

Thinking about it more and more (I'm only 60, but you never do know). I've started donating to my guilds and my friends and to our charities for community quilts. I've sold quite a bit on ebay and etsy and even here, although the qualification rules are too stringent for me to do it often. I am trying to get organized and keep just what I will use and love. Not sure why I bought so much, just like a kid in a candy store I guess!

I wrote my own fabric will a few years ago, had fun with it. I should go back and revise it regularly.

I really like the idea of giving out FQ at the funeral!!! LOL!
Old 02-20-2012, 09:28 AM

Funny thing -- I've just recently been thinking about this. It certainly is something to plan for. I was thinking along the lines of insurance value, too. Like if we had a fire, how much is my huge stash worth? I don't know anyone nearby that would be interested in my "stuff". I really like the "quilter's estate sale" idea!
Old 02-20-2012, 09:36 AM

I found this thread to be extreamly interesting. I am 71 and still think I will live forever lol. I have about 3000 yards of fabric more or less in fats and yardage and everything else. I must have at least 30 books and just the notions I use not any doubles. Now that is just the quilting department.

We have been cleaning and carting out stuff by the boxes and I mean the kitchen the closets etc. I like my things organized and if it is not being used, it goes. The thing is, I love to do my dolls and paint and knit and have supplies for each craft. I have tried not to overdo on supplies, especially now.

I dont' intend to adopt any more crafts. I just have the knitting, the dolls and the quilts the painting. I love these crafts and have no intention of giving them until the very last minute lol.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:50 PM

I too have been downsizing and grouping for well over a year now---it's an endless project. I know if I were to work on projects every day for the rest of my life, I would not get thru all I have.