Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anyone used esty to sell? >

Has anyone used esty to sell?

Has anyone used esty to sell?

Old 12-09-2013, 04:07 AM

I have never purchased anything off Etsy, I have looked around there a bit though. There is also [email protected] where you can sell fabric etc. I have sold thru there several times. But mainly I look here on the boards first, then I usually hit Ebay for purchases. I have my best results selling here on the boards.
Old 12-09-2013, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
I have sold on Etsy, both fabric/supplies and finished items. If you are not going to put a lot of time into it, it may not be successful. You need to work at it to get noticed on Etsy.
This is SO true. So far I have only sold small quilts and quilted items. It was not until I really started working at it that I began getting found and therefore making sales. There are tens of thousands of shops on Etsy, the largest chunk of them selling jewelry, agreed. But there are plenty of folks who sell fabric and quilting/sewing supplies. The rule is (or was, at any rate): handmade, supplies for handmade, or vintage (defined as 20 years or older). The secret is in getting found by the folks who are looking for what you're selling.
Old 12-09-2013, 07:10 AM

What do you have to do to get noticed? I tried Etsy but it went really slow.
Old 12-09-2013, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by bkaren6020 View Post
What do you have to do to get noticed? I tried Etsy but it went really slow.
Oh, you have to network like crazy, join all the groups, chats, auctions / games within groups, get your shop name out there. Get a good banner for your shop, a good avatar ( I paid for one), a good shop name too ( memorable). I learnt early on that if something goes missing in the post..it's a nightmare.. I ended up replacing the item. So.. Tracking is probably a good idea.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:01 AM

I've had great success in buying fabric on Etsy especially of past season lines. I am also considering selling some stash on Etsy, I've noticed that several sellers are using the word "destash" which is how I search now! I agree with ComeAndSew, networking is important, I'm starting to see Etsy people pop up on Pinterest and in various groups, use your shop name in you signature line. I love it!
Old 12-09-2013, 08:40 AM

Have never bought from Etsy but have looked a lot. Have seen lots of fabric.
Old 12-09-2013, 11:00 PM
Power Poster

I have an Etsy shop for selling my qults and quilt tops...and other things! But I haven't sold any fabric there. I have bought fabric there. Sometimes you can find discontinued fabrics. The problem with Etsy is that it's so BIG. There will be so many pages of items similar to yours that your items may never be viewed. We all get tired of looking after 20 or so pages, don't we? You have to be patient to wait for sales. I've had sales but they are always few and far between.

Don't know if you will have the same experience selling fabric.