Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anyone used King Tut/Superior Threads? >

Has anyone used King Tut/Superior Threads?

Has anyone used King Tut/Superior Threads?

Old 09-09-2010, 10:01 AM
Banned

[quote=Roben]After hearing the news that my thread guides have been damaged by course thread, I'm looking for better quality thread to use. I got an e-mail about a sale on Superior Threads' King Tut Quilting thread, but before I spend that kind of money I'd like to hear someone else's opinion. Have you used it, and what did you think?

All of the machiners that do my quilts use King Tut
Old 09-09-2010, 10:19 AM
Power Poster

i now buy all of my thread from connecting threads; i love the threads and so do both of my machines. I did try King Tut about 6 years ago, did not have any luck with it...in fact i think i hated it so much i gave it to some little boys to play with. but i know people who use it and like it, so i don't know. i do know my machines are picky...i went to a quilt show one time and paid $17 for a cone of verigated quilting thread...it was the worst thread i've ever bought! but the shop owner uses it all the time. i have not had any problems with the threads from connecting threads and they are much more reasonably priced than what i can get at the lqs' around here.
thread seems to be alot like batting (and everything else) what works for you may not work for me, and vise-versa...it is a personal choice and of course your machines will put in their 2 cents worth...good luck finding just the right threads for what you do. but...when in doubt only buy 1 spool, (with luck a small inexpensive one) and try it out before investing big bucks on a new thread that you may not be able to use.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:29 AM
Banned

My Tin Lizzie18 love that stuff quilts like a smoooth needle angel. hth.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:34 PM

I use King Tut for piecing, applique and quilting......love, love, love that thread.
Never had any problems with it whatsoever.
Old 09-09-2010, 05:38 PM

I have been thinking about trying the Superior brand (King Tut and Bottom Line) because of all the rave reviews on here so I have been "shopping" to try to find the best price. Here's what I found so far...

kenquilt.com has King Tut for $18.50/2000 yd. cone and Bottom Line for $10.00/3000 yd. This has been the best price I've come across.
Old 09-09-2010, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by retired2pa
I have been thinking about trying the Superior brand (King Tut and Bottom Line) because of all the rave reviews on here so I have been "shopping" to try to find the best price. Here's what I found so far...

kenquilt.com has King Tut for $18.50/2000 yd. cone and Bottom Line for $10.00/3000 yd. This has been the best price I've come across.
That's even better than the prices on the Superior website. Thanks for the tip.
Old 09-09-2010, 06:00 PM

I really like King Tut thread.
Old 09-09-2010, 06:02 PM
Power Poster

I love King Tut for quilting. I've done a couple with it. I piece with Connecting Threads Essentials..I buy it by the cone. My machine seems to be ok with the Essentials if I clean it really well everytime I change the bottom. It fuzzes quite a bit on my Bernina.
Old 09-09-2010, 06:03 PM

A friend of mine swears by King Tut and Bottom Line thread. She makes a lot of quilts and has her own LA.

If you go to a show, usually Superior Threads will have a booth there and their prices at the shows are excellent. If the cost is a concern, pick up a spool or two at a show to try it out. My friend stocks up on her threads when she goes to a show. Not sure why they can offer their threads at such a huge price difference, but it seems worth it to pick up a lot at a show.
Old 09-09-2010, 06:49 PM

I have used several of the threads sold by Superior and have not found my favorite yet. If the threads are used as they recommend them, with respect to needle size and purpose, their threads are absolutely amazing. They educate their customers and if you have any troubles the owner himself as well as Mother Superior are available to help you. Their customer service is superior too. Prices may be a little high, but you get what you paid for.