Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has this ever happened to you? >

Has this ever happened to you?

Has this ever happened to you?

Old 05-31-2016, 04:54 AM
Power Poster

After me telling him for the last six years that I am going to keep making quilts as long as I can. He finally gets it.
Some men don't get it the first couple of years, got to tell'em more times.
Old 05-31-2016, 05:05 AM

I occasionally sense his presence, look up and see DH standing in the doorway with a bemused expression on us face. He doesn't totally "get it", has NO intention of participating, but is very supportive of my hobby and related vices, lol!
Old 05-31-2016, 06:30 AM

I don't have that issue with my DH. He works with me in the design of each quilt, he helps me pick the right fabrics and asks me how it's going while I'm piecing. We put the design wall up in the TV room so when the blocks are finished, we both move the blocks around to see where they should go. He doesn't have hobbies, no interest in sports but he loves to tinker. I think this is his form of tinkering around. And I am so lucky as he has a very good eye for color and design. I usually am sewing on several quilts at one time, several as leader and enders but he knows each one. He fixes my machines and keeps them oiled and clean. He is a sweetie.
Old 05-31-2016, 06:43 AM

My DH is supportive of my hobbies, he certainly has enough of his own! We don't really have any hobbies in common (unless drinking wine counts?) but that's OK, we don't have kids or a lot of other responsibilities so we see enough of each other that neither of us feels neglected. If he's feeling lonely he can always come hang out in my sewing room, and if I'm lonely I can go hang out in his movie room, but we happily spend a lot of time in our own spaces.

He only bugs me for food if I've promised to make something in particular - usually sweets, because he has a huge sweet tooth and never forgets if I say I'll bake cookies! I cook up massive batches of food on weekends and throw it in the freezer for dinners and lunches. I work full time and on work days I can't be bothered to cook anything, but I usually have 2-3 different homemade soups frozen up in pint mason jars, and at least one lasagna or veggie pot pie type casserole portioned out in the deep freeze, so there's usually a nice selection of healthy, home-made food that just needs to be reheated. DH likes my cooking a lot so he's happy to just raid the freezer when he gets hungry - only thing he usually asks me is if I want anything defrosted!
Old 05-31-2016, 07:41 AM
Power Poster

One of my DH's hobbies works for me. When he gets a chance he likes to work with wood. We are working on the sewing room to eliminate chaos. He built me a very large storage cabinet 3'x2'x6'. He said when he walked into the room it looked like I was running a used fabric store. He also likes the idea of everything being in it's place and when we walk into the room we can feel more like sewing and not overwhelmed with chaos. He backs me up on just about everything. He knows if he complains about any housekeeping, I will remind him of the location of the utility closet.
Old 05-31-2016, 07:41 AM
Power Poster

My hubby is very supportive and proud of my sewing and quilting too. He only dislikes it when I spend too much time in my sewing room when he is home. He is a golfing fool and workaholic.
Old 05-31-2016, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl View Post
What he can't start cleaning without you. LOL
As if. It is easier to just pay someone to do it,...
Old 05-31-2016, 08:52 AM

my DH put up a building in the backyard for me. I go into the house every so often and stick my head in the computer room. We visit and then go back to our own thing. Works for us. He is very good about my quilting and enjoys seeing what I have done. Always supportive.
Old 05-31-2016, 09:45 AM

I'm another fortunate one that has a supportive husband. So far he's got no interest in piecing, though he does sew the occasional project. He love the long arm, and is learning how to use the computerize part.

He's also able to do a lot of the maintenance on my sewing machines to keep things running. He built me a "shed" for my sewing machine collection and long arm (I got tired of it in the dining room). He also loves to go on shop hops, and loves to get into discussions about sewing machines wherever we go.

however, he is color blind with shades, so I never ask him if colors go together. And once in a while he'll be looking at a quilt I'm making, and say "I hope that is one you are going to keep"
Old 05-31-2016, 09:51 AM

Since I got my DH a tablet for Christmas, I really don't get much conversation with him..especially if he's on it...he does always asked, "Who is that one for"?? and I tell him...since it's either kids or grandkids, now baby quilts for great grandkids, coming one in July and one in Sept... we have been married 54 yrs this past week, May 26th...so nothing to change now...he is always complimentary on every quilt I make....and would eat a sandwich for supper every night if I let him, but guilt takes over and I stop and cook... but the real reason is I don't like sandwiches...and a gal has to eat too..