Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Has this happened to you?

Has this happened to you?

I went to another town on Saturaday to look at some material a lady had. It was nice material and I was about to offer her a nice sum for it. Then she started to pick through the material and laid it aside she said for some relatives. I told her that I wanted the material for quilts. She started talking about everything but quilts and picked some more material for aprons. I was not interested and began to get irritated. I did pick a few pieces of material and she kept talking about only selling the material for a certain amount a yard if I made aprons for her. I told her what the going price was for during that. She did not like it so I said well how much a yard. I planned on buying half that day and coming back for the other. After the third time of picking out more material for her friends, I left. I called her and told her to go ahead and sell it to someone else. I had wanted to pay for the material and take it to my friends at church to do quilts for Relay For Life, but after being told what to do with material I got offended. What would you have done? All of this took over an hour and my DH sat in the car waiting on me.
    I never met a quilt that I did not like.I go to pieces regularly.

Blog Entries
    same as you i think.
    "From hence only infer that an Englishman, of all men, ought not to despise foreigners as such and I think the inference is just, since what they are today, we were yesterday, and tomorrow they will be like us"
    Daniel De Foe -The True Englishman

Very odd behavior on the lady's part. I think you showed great restraint to deal with her as long as you did!
    Lynne

Senior Member Aubrey'sQuiltingCreations's Avatar
    I would have done the same thing. If she wasn't wanting to just sell the fabric she should have changed her ad to say will trade fabric for making me some aprons or something to that effect. Its just typical of how people are these days, as nothing can ever be done once. LOL

that is odd. If she was not sure that she wanted to sell, then why did she make the appointment?
    Baby Lock Ellisimo-^-Baby Lock Ellageo-^-Brother PQ1500s-^-1947 Featherweight.
    Janome 19660-^-Baby Lock Serger-^-Singer Serger-^-Accuquilt Go & Brother ScannCut.

Blog Entries
    I would have left a lot sooner than you did. I think this was very rude of her.
    A friend is someone who knows all about you and loves you anyway.

That lady reminds me of the saying, "It takes all kinds to make a world." She's more than just a little strange.

I would have left too. If she wanted to pick through it and pull pieces out she should have done so before you came.

Blog Entries
    This is why I dont buy from small ads. LOL. It sounds like that lady had some issues and you were a lot more patient with her than I would have been.
    Fortune favours the prepared mind
    "Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler." Albert Einstein

I think she was VERY attached to her fabric. :-(
    Long arm quilting in Carmel, Indiana http://quiltcycle.blogspot.com/

Wow, sounds like a "wierdo" to me. Be glad you gave up and left.
    Friendship is the fabric of our lives!

I think I would have told her where she could stuff her fabric and then turned around and left.

Like others said...if she wanted it then why did she have it out for you to look at. This sorting and keeping should have been done previously.

Did she have this advertised for sale or did someone tell you that this lady had fabric she wanted to get rid of and you both set up a time to meet at her house? Seriously...first thing I would have said to her was...are you selling this fabric or not? And if she said yes then I would have said...call me and maybe I will come back after you go through it because it looks as if you put an ad out without knowing what you were doing. And me standing here while you pull stuff that I want to pay for is a waste of my time.

Glad you left and hope she gets stuck with it all.

I probably would have said something like..."why did you advertise to sell material? Because I drove a long way to buy this stuff and now you wasted my time, your time and allot of gas money getting here...I would have turned and walked out...But that's me...you were probably right in just leaving saying nothing...

I had a similar experience with a sewing machine ad. Called and she was eager to sell. Called to confirm appt and she hemmed and hawed about daughter not wanting her to sell. I gave up

I have had this happen with Craigslist. They will post pics and say they want to sell but never return a call or email or if they do they're not sure they're ready to have anyone look. Very strange. One lady wants to sell a room full of fabric all to one person. Doesn't want anyone picking through it. It's all different kinds of stuff and only a few I would want. I say whatever! I would have left long before you did probably.
    Debra

Sounds like this person had/has "issues"! Something tells me by the times she does her "set asides" you would not want whats left.
    Sorry you wasted time and gas $$.

Blog Entries
    I went to an estate sale like that recently. As people would bring things up to buy, the lady would tell them that she wasn't sure she wanted to sell it, and had a huge pile of things she had decided to keep. After this happen 2 or 3 times I just left. Didn't see any reason to waste my time if she was just going to tell me she was going to keep whatever I wanted to buy. Some people are just ODD!!!!!!!!!
    Vonda-Texas MiMi of 4 Beautiful Grandbabies

Quote Originally Posted by vondae View Post
    I went to an estate sale like that recently. As people would bring things up to buy, the lady would tell them that she wasn't sure she wanted to sell it, and had a huge pile of things she had decided to keep. After this happen 2 or 3 times I just left. Didn't see any reason to waste my time if she was just going to tell me she was going to keep whatever I wanted to buy. Some people are just ODD!!!!!!!!!
    How funny, this has happened to me too! I was at a yard sale and I had a few items in my hands and the owner came over and took them out of my hands and told me she had "put them out for sale" by accident. What??? People are nuts and it's best to not waste any time on them.

Sorry for your inconvience...I know you must have been dissapointed...I know I would have been !!!!!
    Buzzy Bee

People get attached to there stuff and don't really want to part with it.
    If she wanted aprons she should make them herself.

I would have left also.

Blog Entries
    Makes me wonder if she just wasn't lonely and this was a way to meet/see people - very odd though . You are more patient than I would have been
    To keep your mind fresh- learn one new thing a day !

Blog Entries
    She sounds a bit manipulative. She would sell the fabric to you if you made aprons for her from the fabric??? I would have walked out too!

I think your a saint for the way you dealt with her.
    http://www.skillpages.com/DonnaValleyquiltermo
    Sweet Dreams come from under Cozy Quilts made with love.
    Life is short, take time to enjoy it. Play with your kids and g-kids,
    and do what you can for others.

What a pain in the neck! Sellers really need to be honest about what they have to sell - esp. if they are making appointments for folks to come over. I went to buy 100% cotton fabrics from a woman who was closing her business. When I got there - there wasn't much left and it was all cotton/poly kinda seersucker fabric. I had driven an hour to get there. She was on the phone while I looked at what she had. And I left her on the phone as I got back in my car in disgust. Just be truthful - for heaven's sake!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast