Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Hate binding...

Blog Entries
    I really, really hate binding....I will avoid it from now on if possible on other projects besides quilts...I thought I would practice on a few pot holders...nope...not doing that again...I will stick with the no binding potholders.

I absolutely hate it too!!!!

BUT now that i do it by machine from start to finish, I can tolerate it. :)

Someone on another message posted an AWESOME link to help with this issue .....

www.lorettaalvarado.com/binding.htm

Maybe this will help you :)

Blog Entries
    Sorry. I had those feelings as well until I learned an easy way to do it. Knowledge is power. The first link is my favorite. The other two links are valuable also. Good luck.
    http://ankastreasures.wordpress.com/.../binding-tips/
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wprg5vzkuGw
    http://naptimequilter.blogspot.com/2...-and-hand.html

Blog Entries
    easy or not, the only thing i will ever like about binding a quilt is knowing it means the quilt is [finally] finished. :lol:

i know quilters who absolutely love doing the binding. i envy them. :-)

Blog Entries
    I made a bunch of pot holders this morning thankfully only one that had a binding. It took me forever...and it came out horrible.I just switched back to doing the watch and stack way. I am going to donate them to the Lucky Dog thrift shop..The money they make goes to animals. They sell the items at low cost. If they sell them for a dollar they wil go quick.

Quote Originally Posted by PatriceJ
    easy or not, the only thing i will ever like about binding a quilt is knowing it means the quilt is [finally] finished. :lol:

i know quilters who absolutely love doing the binding. i envy them. :-)
    Dido for me. I feel the same way.

Blog Entries
    Send them to me, I love doing the binding. But then I like handsewing - because I can do that on my recliner in front of the TV when I am too tired to sit at a machine.

I saw a presser foot the other day that helps you to sew the binding on with one go around. Now does it really work? You know sometimes new gadgets can be more difficult than just doing it the old fashion way. I too use to avoid bindings but now I take the time to do them just because I think it adds a nice visual.

Senior Member twospoiledhuskies's Avatar
    I used 1/4 Steam a Steam 2 to hold down the binding, then SID. It came out perfect and I didn't use 1 pin. It
    was fantastic.

Hope you find something that works for you :-D

I go old school and pull the backing to the front. I've seen several tutorials for the correct way to do binding and I still don't understand the corners. It held me back from starting to quilt. Now I just do it how it's intuitive and natural to me, and am having fun.

Binding is my favorite part of my quilts. It's what adds the final beautiful part to all my hard work. Besides I too enjoy sitting in my recliner watching a movie and sewing the binding on by hand. I can smell the scent of accomplishment in the ar!

Blog Entries
    I love to put the binding on a quilt..it is the finishing touch to a job well done.

I almost always do it all by machine, so I don't mind it. By the time I get to the binding stage, I'm too impatient to hand-stitch it down. I want to get it washed and used! I also don't worry about mitered corners. My corners look fine the way they are. I don't know how to describe them, but they're not mitered. I'm ok with that. Last I checked, my quilts were still warm!

Quote Originally Posted by dsb38327
    Sorry. I had those feelings as well until I learned an easy way to do it. Knowledge is power. The first link is my favorite. The other two links are valuable also. Good luck.
    http://ankastreasures.wordpress.com/.../binding-tips/
    I didn't check the other two links but I think this would be as easy as pie. I actually haven't used this technique, and at first didn't understand how this would be done. As I was thinking over the instructions I saw a pad of sticky notes on my desk. took off the top one and tore it down the middle, crossed the ends at 45 degree and then folded down the top one as if I had sewn it. I'm going to try that right now on some place mats I made yesterday.

Blog Entries
    I find it very hard to sew the ends together, (putting it under the needle) its such a pain....INot as hard on a quilt but the potholder is so small so its harder. I did try doing the pocket way and that was easier but not as nice looking.

Blog Entries
    Lacelady- all the way to IRELAND?? well maybe i'll do my own. thanks anyway girl. :mrgreen:

Blog Entries
    I love putting binding on quilts. My quilting buddy and I have a system. I do all of her bindings and she does all my quilting. She has a long arm. Don't know what I would do to get my quilting done if she didn't do my quilts. I live on SS and couldn't afford to send them out to be quilted.
    jazs2

I hate cutting the bias binding, but LOVE sewing it on. I machine stitch it on the front, then turn it to the back and stitch it down by hand. Heaven! Except in the heat of summer, maybe. But one can also do it all by machine in a jiffy. And folks use deco stitches too, though I don't know how that looks on the back.

Banned
    I believe most quilters don't like binding is the binding doesn't come out even and accurate. I discovered that when I went back and really analyzed what went wrong my bindings began to improve. Check out my demo on
    www.quilterstv.com and under Quilters Cafe. It is still showing and if not now keep checking back.

Since I had my hand surgery in May I realize that the hand binding is no more. I am learning how to do a pretty good binding on the machine. I don't mind the bindings at all anymore. With each one I do, they seem to get nicer looking each time.

Quote Originally Posted by sunnycat
    I go old school and pull the backing to the front. I've seen several tutorials for the correct way to do binding and I still don't understand the corners. It held me back from starting to quilt. Now I just do it how it's intuitive and natural to me, and am having fun.
    Sunnycat -- I've done it this way on a couple of small quilts and my corners are a little messy. How do you do your corners?

FW Beth is right, as much as I love stitching the binding down, it DOES give a hand cramp.

I'm sorry there are so many that dislike binding so much. I know it's frustrating to dread a step in a hobby you otherwise love. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones that loves doing binding. It was tricky at first but just one of those things you learn how to do better and better each time you do it. I actually like it MORE now that I finish my binding by hand (I started out my first few quilts doing the binding all on the machine). I've never pretended I'm totally normal though. :D

On my first quilt...too many years ago, I was told to curve the corners using a margerine lid from the diet size tub. That lid is really old now. No one seems to notice my quilts don't have square corners. It is so easy..I hate cutting the strips. But I do that when I cut out the quilt nowl

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast