Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hate binding... >

Hate binding...

Hate binding...

Old 12-19-2010, 07:45 AM

Since I had my hand surgery in May I realize that the hand binding is no more. I am learning how to do a pretty good binding on the machine. I don't mind the bindings at all anymore. With each one I do, they seem to get nicer looking each time.
Old 12-19-2010, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by sunnycat
I go old school and pull the backing to the front. I've seen several tutorials for the correct way to do binding and I still don't understand the corners. It held me back from starting to quilt. Now I just do it how it's intuitive and natural to me, and am having fun.
Sunnycat -- I've done it this way on a couple of small quilts and my corners are a little messy. How do you do your corners?
Old 12-19-2010, 07:48 AM

FW Beth is right, as much as I love stitching the binding down, it DOES give a hand cramp.
Old 12-19-2010, 07:54 AM

I'm sorry there are so many that dislike binding so much. I know it's frustrating to dread a step in a hobby you otherwise love. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones that loves doing binding. It was tricky at first but just one of those things you learn how to do better and better each time you do it. I actually like it MORE now that I finish my binding by hand (I started out my first few quilts doing the binding all on the machine). I've never pretended I'm totally normal though. :D
Old 12-19-2010, 08:10 AM

On my first quilt...too many years ago, I was told to curve the corners using a margerine lid from the diet size tub. That lid is really old now. No one seems to notice my quilts don't have square corners. It is so easy..I hate cutting the strips. But I do that when I cut out the quilt nowl
Old 12-19-2010, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by katybob
Originally Posted by sunnycat
I go old school and pull the backing to the front. I've seen several tutorials for the correct way to do binding and I still don't understand the corners. It held me back from starting to quilt. Now I just do it how it's intuitive and natural to me, and am having fun.
Sunnycat -- I've done it this way on a couple of small quilts and my corners are a little messy. How do you do your corners?
I'm not good with words, but I hope I'll be able to explain it to you. I just finished up my latest project, or else I'd take a pic. Keep in mind I've only done 3 projects so far..

I leave 1" excess batting around all corners. I chose to parallel sides to start with. I fold the 1" in half, so the raw edge is now touching the quilt. It looks sort of like bias tape. I then fold it over the top of the quilt and pin it down. I sew my first two chosen sides from top of the quilt to bottom. Then I go back to my other two sides. This is when I do the corners. I do it exactly as before BUT when I get close to the edges, I unfold, and then turn in the corner to the fold, refold (so now the raw edges are tucked in), and then fold up against the quilt.

I was able to get a picture of the corner up close so you could see. I love the look. It looks even better when the thread is better coordinated with the fabric. I also prefer the stacked corners over mitered corners.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-145135.jpe  
Old 12-19-2010, 08:39 AM

Thanks! I was trying to do it with mitered corners and it just wasn't working well at all.
Old 12-19-2010, 08:53 AM
Power Poster

I would love to have someone close who loved to do bindings too :D:D:D
Old 12-19-2010, 09:04 AM

I don't LOVE binding but I don't hate it either. I like that I can do it while watching TV with my DH and that it means I almost done with a quilt. That's very satisfying for me.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by amma
I would love to have someone close who loved to do bindings too :D:D:D
me too amma! me too lol