Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hate My Quilt >

Hate My Quilt

Hate My Quilt

Old 07-01-2011, 11:49 AM

I decided to slow down on quilts for a while this summer and work on some Christmas gifts. No one in particular in mind, just smaller stuff. Lap quilts, mug rugs, table toppers, etc. and I am having a lot of fun with it. Maybe if you gave yourself a little break from it and worked on some small stuff it would help the way you feel.
Old 07-01-2011, 11:53 AM
Power Poster

It's not the first time and it may not be the last, but I think we all go through a phase where we don't like the quilt we're working on. If you have the time, can you put it away for a little bit and then come back to it? Sometimes that helps. Just remember who you are makingit for and when you're done, make something just for you. We all hit snags now and then.
Old 07-01-2011, 12:50 PM
Power Poster

Yes, I have struggled thru some patterns (or with some colors) that I thought would NEVER end. One method I sometimes use is to combine a "dog" with something I love.

"If I do XX number of the dog project, then I GET TO work on the other project for a while." It really works for me. One thing I can tell you is that you will feel so good (relief, resolve, even excitement) when that quilt is FINISHED! AND when you give it to your DH, the appreciation will probably make you feel a little guilty for waiting so long.
Old 07-01-2011, 12:50 PM

It has happened to me, but when it was quilting, I had to admit, it wasn't too bad after all. But glad it was leaving my house!!! :lol: Jan
Old 07-01-2011, 12:59 PM

I felt the same way making the quilt my sister-in-law wanted. I liked it once it was completed, and she did too.
Old 07-01-2011, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by erstan947
Been there. :)
Actually am there at the moment as I have started making a quilt for my DS and while I love the main print I chose black for the back ground discovering very quickly that black is hard on my eyes with the result I am finding it difficult to work on.I have set myself a target of 3 blocks per week in the hope that I get through it. In between I work on other things which are much lighter/brighter

Maybe1day
Old 07-01-2011, 03:30 PM

Oh, geez. I feel for you. Last fall when I had been quilting for all of 6 months, my aunt asked me to make a quilt for her grand daughter's high school graduation this spring. I kept telling her the pattern she chose was way beyond my capabilities at that stage, but she kept insisting and coercing until, to shut her up, I said I would try. Well, the pattern was laid out in diamonds and I was so frustrated that at the midway point I ripped the entire thing apart and started over. The colors were beautiful as was the pattern; it had huge red or blue horses and the GD is an accomplished horsewoman. So after 160 hours, much screaming and many tears I finished the project. The GD LOVED it!!! Then, of course, my aunt told everyone she had paid for the quilt and I just sewed it together! NOT!!! And never again, never, ever -----
Old 07-01-2011, 03:39 PM

Yes, I do know that feeling. Two years ago I made DH a quilt. I hated every block I did, but he loves it. We have slept under that quilt for two years and I still don't like it and he still loves it! Some things are just to hard to explain but stick with it. He will love it enough to make it worth while. :)
Old 07-01-2011, 03:40 PM

OHHHHH! :x
Old 07-01-2011, 05:52 PM

make a deal with another quilter and make a quilt they like and maybe they will do this quilt for you.