Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hate to waste anything? >

Hate to waste anything?

Hate to waste anything?

Old 09-15-2010, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by catrancher
Originally Posted by ptquilts
we used to have a cotton hammock outside and the chickadees would pull tufts out for their nests, cute.
Birds really are such industrious little critters, and looking at how perfectly formed their nests are always fills me with awe. How can they do that without hands?
My male zebra finches work sooo hard on every little scrap of nesting material that I give them. They'll put it in the nest box "just so", and then a few minutes later, they'll come back and rearrange it. Sometimes the male will put it where HE wants it, then the female will come along and move it to where SHE wants it. It's hilarious and amazing to watch. :lol:
Old 09-15-2010, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by moonrise
Originally Posted by catrancher
Originally Posted by ptquilts
we used to have a cotton hammock outside and the chickadees would pull tufts out for their nests, cute.
Birds really are such industrious little critters, and looking at how perfectly formed their nests are always fills me with awe. How can they do that without hands?
My male zebra finches work sooo hard on every little scrap of nesting material that I give them. They'll put it in the nest box "just so", and then a few minutes later, they'll come back and rearrange it. Sometimes the male will put it where HE wants it, then the female will come along and move it to where SHE wants it. It's hilarious and amazing to watch. :lol:
I used to have finches. I had two owl finches, two Gouldians, two strawberries, and two that were sort of tan with a pink breast and red beak. I never did learn the variety. Our Gouldians actually raised a clutch. They both had red heads, but their clutch of three birds each ended up with a different color head: red, copper, and black. So interesting. They were fun. When we moved, we gave them away. We were tired of cleaning their big flight cage.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:49 AM

I used to do that, but later read that the materials for their nests should be waterproof so they stay dry when it rains.. I was worried I was doing them a disservice.. Guess I should do some more research as I generate lots of snippits and would love to see them put to good use.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:53 AM

I use a mesh onion bag to put mine in. I save my little snippets of thread and fabric, then chop it into little pieces and drop into the bag. Hang it under my deck so I can see them come and go. Don't include anything that has fabric softener in it, not good for the little ones.
Old 09-16-2010, 03:40 AM

I love the idea of the onion bag. That way, you can hang it out in a tree and the birds can just pick out what they want. It's a new item on my "to do" list.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:18 AM

Oh my goodness I love it ,I do hate to throw anything away ,sometimes I worry about myself, but now I wont!!

Thankyou!

Rae
Old 09-16-2010, 05:47 AM

what a wonderful idea. I did toss out some string this past spring and it dissappeared, but I like "your" idea better. Thank you for sharing.
Old 09-16-2010, 06:06 AM

Great idea - I will start collecting
Old 09-16-2010, 07:32 AM

Another great use for leftover or scraps is to collect them in an old sturdy pillow case sew the top closed and take to the local animal shelter. They are able to use them for beds, all sizes are needed. This works well with scraps of batting also. :-D
Old 09-16-2010, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by GloBug
Another great use for leftover or scraps is to collect them in an old sturdy pillow case sew the top closed and take to the local animal shelter. They are able to use them for beds, all sizes are needed. This works well with scraps of batting also. :-D
Check with your local quilt store, mine makes beds for the shelter and they have a box where you can donate scraps. I have a bag next to my machine and once its filled, I will take it in.