Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hate to waste anything? >

Hate to waste anything?

Hate to waste anything?

Old 09-16-2010, 11:06 AM

Awesome ideas ladies :thumbup:
Old 09-16-2010, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by GloBug
Another great use for leftover or scraps is to collect them in an old sturdy pillow case sew the top closed and take to the local animal shelter. They are able to use them for beds, all sizes are needed. This works well with scraps of batting also. :-D
Great idea. I have a feeling I'll have plenty to do both.
Old 09-16-2010, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by grammyp
I use a mesh onion bag to put mine in. I save my little snippets of thread and fabric, then chop it into little pieces and drop into the bag. Hang it under my deck so I can see them come and go. Don't include anything that has fabric softener in it, not good for the little ones.
That's a great idea. An onion bag would be perfect. I suppose I can put the onion bag in my basket and do it that way.
Old 09-16-2010, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Tippy
I used to do that, but later read that the materials for their nests should be waterproof so they stay dry when it rains.. I was worried I was doing them a disservice.. Guess I should do some more research as I generate lots of snippits and would love to see them put to good use.
Hm. I wonder about that. I'm sure birds pick up feathers and stuff they find on the ground. I doubt everything they put in their nests is waterproof. Maybe that's the solution. If they're using sticks and other stuff, a few threads shouldn't weaken the nest.

I took a behavioral psychology class in college. I learned about a certain variety of bird where the male builds a sort of house to impress the females. They've been known to use the tops of Bic pens. And if the female comes along and doesn't like the house, she tears it apart. So there!

I think the females of many varieties of birds choose their mates depending on how well they build their nest. A lot of energy goes into producing an egg and a chick. She wants a good man. Don't we all?
Old 09-16-2010, 12:54 PM

- BEWARE - the thin threads can get tangled around the birds feet. There is nothing worst than to see a suffering bird hopping around on one foot because the other was so swollen from being tangled with thread. I am sure she didn't live much longer. Scraps of fabric can do the same thing. One inch yarn pieces would be better than the thin threads from fabric or sewing thread.
Old 09-16-2010, 01:39 PM

I also make all my scraps & batting scraps into dog/cat beds for the animal shelter. And of course I also make many scrap quilts for family/friends/charity, scrap quilts are my favorite.
Old 09-16-2010, 02:33 PM

What a fantastic idea! We have so many birds each year. This will surely help them out. ( They don't seem to like the dog hair! lol )
Old 09-16-2010, 02:51 PM
crt

Originally Posted by GloBug
Another great use for leftover or scraps is to collect them in an old sturdy pillow case sew the top closed and take to the local animal shelter. They are able to use them for beds, all sizes are needed. This works well with scraps of batting also. :-D
I have made beds for my dogs like this, and they seem to like them. I made a pillow to sit on at my computer chair, too. MUCH cheaper than fiberfill.
Old 09-16-2010, 03:02 PM

I had some old towels and blankets suitable for an animal shelter, but where I live is far from any shelter. Someone suggested an animal hospital, and sure enough they were glad to get them.
Hate to throw anything away!! esp. if someone, somewhere, can use it.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:36 PM

Love this idea! I'll hang one right outside my classroom this spring so the kids can watch! And I'll cut my threads short - or let the kids do it!