Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have any other male quilters on this board had this problem??? >

Have any other male quilters on this board had this problem???

Have any other male quilters on this board had this problem???

Old 12-07-2010, 02:01 PM

[quote=eaglebeak1960]Hi guys, yes I am a male quilter, have any of you ever had this problem?? being a guy quilter in a woman dominated area has its draw backs. they kinda freaked out on me when I asked for help. I am a retired happily married man who just happens to love to quilt. SIGH then WHY do I get the feeling that when I go into a quilt shop unless I spend money there I am not wanted??? I asked for help (on a one on one basis) they could not be bothered to help I have been doing basic quilting for a number of years untill recently. Now I want to Improve my skills,

You know Chris, ignorance is all over this world we live in and I am very sure your area is not the only place who feels its alright to insult people. You need to go back to this particular shop one more time, ask for help and when you are mistreated or ignored be sure to tell them there are many places you can get help, and served with a willing heart and giving soul. I am sorry to hear you have been treated badly or not in a very caring way but that is not your problem and maybe these people are just not suited to work with the public. If you have one ill-mannered person in a business the entire shop will be affected. I have learned so much on this site and hope you will give a real good look at some of the tutorials, they are very easy to see from the pictures posted.

If you hear of a quilt class being given, call, register using only your first name, could have your wife do this for you, then just show up. After they have accepted your money they can't throw you out. Then make sure you are one of the best students there ! ! ! ! !

Quilting is an art all by its self but when you have someone who really wants to become a more accomplished quilter their work will usually out shine most others. Hang in there and don't give up.

Contact some of the women in your community who might know good, accomplished quilters who would be glad to share your talent with you. Your wife can do this research for you and I am sure she can also talk with ladies who can help you. A lot of churches have quilting groups and they all enjoy showing someone how to improve their skills.

I am sorry you were shuned and not helped as you deserve to have been. Your money will spend at a good shop just like it will at a bad one. Good Luck
Old 12-07-2010, 02:07 PM

I too was a woman breaking into the man's world at my job. I was the first female to join the local men's club for my area of work. 3 men voted against my joining the group. I've never forgotten that. Today, there are many women doing my type of work. So I know how you feel. But don't be discouraged. Hang in there.
Old 12-07-2010, 02:52 PM

I've run into some men in classes I've taken and they've ALWAYS been the center of attention. It seems the women fussed over them and given them proportionately more attention than the women! Maybe it varies by area! :)
Old 12-07-2010, 02:53 PM

(QUOTE fm Tippy)I get the same treatment when I deal with car dealerships and mechanics as you got at the fabric shop.. also at some motorcycle shops, although they are getting better. You should have seen the looks when I rode my m'cycle from S. Missouri to Baltimore .. solo.. no I wasn't afraid and I met some really rough hardcore bikers along the way and was treated with respect for just "doing it". Some even admitted they wouldn't have the "stones" to do it themselves..lol.. Hang in there.[/quote]

Hi Tippy, I ran a Body shop for a Chrysler dealership and our shipping and receiving clerk received a complaint from the returns clerk at the factory--the boxes you guys send are way to big for us to lift. Just so happened we had a automotive guild meeting at the plant the next week. We told them we were sorry and at the meeting the factory clerk stood up and said o.k. who's the big sucker from,,( our dealership). I stood up and I'm 6'2 245lbs and he said I thought so, I said sorry I just stood up to introduce you to my shipping and receiveing clerk and I then introduced Allison 5'2 blonde blue eyes and all- never heard another word from that guy after all the laughing was over! Kudo's to you on your brave venture!! Be careful though, that can be a tough world! Sincerely Dave B.
Old 12-07-2010, 03:05 PM

Chris, I guess the difference that I do is not to let it get you down, just think of a way to get the attention to you and have a plan for the next time you visit that store. I've made samples with the stores name on it as a gift, I went into one of the local Joann's in Madison, Wi armed with a really nicely quilted top and at the cutting counter I said I quilted this and just can't decide on what binding fabric I should get- got three new clients and a big discussion at the counter that the lady who kind of shunned me now had to smile and participate. And by breaking that ice she even has had me do a few of hers--LOL I try and turn a negative into a positive and if it just won't work--say goodbye, life's too short to mess with ignorance!---Dave B.
My best to you!
Old 12-07-2010, 03:07 PM

I'm blown away every time I hear of a male quilter being mistreated. I would expect it to be a moth to a flame type situation. Who doesn't want to help a man out!?!

Don't tell anyone but I prefer men to women. My bf is my co-designer. He's full of interesting insights. I wouldn't just welcome you into my store... I would be happy to see you.

Now, if only I had a store. :0)
Old 12-07-2010, 03:07 PM

Well I forgot to mention just one other thing, all you people on this forum ROCK!!!!---Dave B
Old 12-07-2010, 03:22 PM

Call Threads of Time in Danville IL (just west of the IN-IL line). They're having an all male quilt retreat! Promises to be a load of fun. 217/431-9202

There's also an evening quilt guild that meets once a month at the library (2nd Tuesday 5pm).
Old 12-07-2010, 03:35 PM

So sorry to hear you are having problems, I'm in southwestern IN. I'm a total beginner but this board has helped me enormously - sometimes people can be very closed minded & I'm sorry that you've experienced that - too bad for that LQS that they lost you as a customer - I say it's their loss!!!There are a lot of quilting videos online if you have trouble following written directions. PM me anytime and I'll either help or find somebody who can
Old 12-07-2010, 03:37 PM

I say sign up for a class and go for it. I have been in a class with three people and one was a male, and no problems here. I think it is great that you enjoy this craft and want to move ahead.
I think these sales people need to be more open minded. (I know I had a shop that won't let me take a class there because I did not buy my machine there, well, they must make more money than they need, that they can afford to turn away a paying customer.)