Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have any of you used the Waverly cotton solids sold at Walmart? >

Have any of you used the Waverly cotton solids sold at Walmart?

Have any of you used the Waverly cotton solids sold at Walmart?

Old 04-18-2018, 03:34 AM

My opinion is that the quilt police will tell you not to buy anything that isn't from a quilt shop. My personal thought on buying fabric is the feel and the price. My quilts are not intended to be show quality and I'm not willing to spend what I think is an unreasonable amount on fabric. I'm one who buys "some", not just according to the pattern or project. (That's how a person builds a stash!) Too, I don't want the guilt when I miscut and there's a piece I can't use but spent more than I really liked on it. I have had quilt store quality fabric ravel terribly and also bleed extensively--hemorrhage, in fact! So, it's buyer beware and use your own mind on what you see/feel and your own pocketbook! I've used a lot of WalMart fabric that has held up well for many quilts and projects.
Old 04-18-2018, 04:31 AM

I have used it for various projects and have been pleased with it. It has a nice feel and you can't beat the price!
Old 04-18-2018, 06:05 AM

I use it quite a bit. I haven't had any trouble with it and it comes in a nice range of colors.
Old 04-18-2018, 06:24 AM

I read in a quilt magazine that the well known brands that you can purchase at Wal-Mart are not inferior fabric they are just first-runs for the colors, so it might be difficult to match if you don't purchase enough. I have occasionally used them but never had a problem.
Old 04-18-2018, 06:24 AM

I am not a fabric snob at all, probably 75% of my stash comes from JAF. In fact, I picked up several yards of flannel from JAF the other day.

That being said, my mother worked as a seamstress for a time at a garment factory and they made jeans for a certain well-known brand for various retail companies. When they made the jeans for the mall stores they used one grade of denim and when they made the jeans for the walmart stores they switched to a lower quality thinner grade of denim. Both jeans carried the same well-known brand.

I can't help but wonder if Waverly is doing that for it's Walmart supplier. My personal take away from all of this is that I look at fabric quality before I buy, wherever I am buying from, I've seen good stuff at JAF and WalMart and crappy thin stuff at local quilt shops. Bad quality = pass
Old 04-18-2018, 06:25 AM

I use fabric from Walmart, even the special on sale stuff and it causes no problems. My quilts are used by children, so they are washed, tugged about, walked on... etc., so I expect wear and even some tears. I don't expect heirloom, hang on the walls, quilt show quality, so I don't know about everlasting durability, but as I said, it causes no problems for me.

I do check the thread count. I don't like the really thin stuff.

Last edited by SillySusan; 04-18-2018 at 06:30 AM.
Old 04-18-2018, 11:02 AM

I have used a good number of Waverly fabrics from Walmart as well as other fabrics from there and have never had any problems with any of it. It has held up as well as any other. I am very careful when choosing there fabrics as they do carry some I would not buy. But that goes with everywhere I buy fabric.
Old 04-18-2018, 11:31 AM

I have used a lot of the plain colors of the Waverly fabrics from Walmart and have had not trouble.
Old 04-18-2018, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by hilsmom View Post
Do they hold up okay? I'm just starting out, and while I would like my quilts to hold up to washing and using, they aren't exactly heirloom quality as far as the workmanship. I needed a solid for a table runner this afternoon and it's almost an hour to a fabric store from my house and found the Waverly at WM. Before I buy any more fabric from there, I wanted to get opinions from those with experience.
I thought the material seemed so nice and I bought the most beautiful red. Washed it and then it was not so beautiful. I was very disappointed because the price was so right but I have avoided it since.
Old 04-18-2018, 11:59 AM

This isn't about the Waverly line - but I was looking for Disney Princess fabric on line to use in a quilt for my great-niece. I was about to order it on-line for $8.00 a yard - so would have to add tax and shipping. Thought I would check locally at a few places and one was Walmart. It was the same fabric for $2.98 a yard. It was the same brand - so I was rather shocked. It has held up well. The lady cutting it thought it was that price because the season was changing and they were getting in new fabrics. Now when I am making a quilt with a Disney theme I check Walmart first.