Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Have I re-invented the wheel? >
  • Have I re-invented the wheel?

• Have I re-invented the wheel?

Old 10-18-2013, 05:58 AM

Great Idea. I wonder if you put those "sand paper dots" that are for putting on the back of your ruler to keep it form slipping would work? You might have to use more than one.
    Old 10-18-2013, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    Online shops don't care where you live. LOL

I haven't seen a ruler like the one you invented! but the Bloc Loc eliminates the wobble.
    Yes - BUT I needed help right now. You know how it is - it's late night and you just have to do something right now. And I would never have thought of this until I read a post about the BlocLoc ruler. As far as I can tell the the BlocLoc only works on HSTs.
    Old 10-18-2013, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by patchwork
    Great Idea. I wonder if you put those "sand paper dots" that are for putting on the back of your ruler to keep it form slipping would work? You might have to use more than one.
    Evie at post #11 said she used 1" square tape in each of the four corners. It wouldn't hurt to try the dots - nothing ventured - nothing gained.
    Old 10-18-2013, 07:09 AM
    Power Poster

Wow, that is a great idea!
    Old 10-18-2013, 07:35 AM

Kudos! You have designed the perfect ruler for your need and thank you for sharing your talent with the rest of us. I have things in my sewing room that were intended for completely different uses, but they work and as you said necessity is the mother of invention; plus we are women and we don't let anything stop us when we need to get a job done.
    Old 10-18-2013, 08:40 AM
    Power Poster

Great idea....
    Old 10-18-2013, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by misseva
    I had 125 4" four-patch blocks to trim down but my 4" square ruler kept wobbling over the seam.

So after seeing the post on BlocLoc HST rulers I made my own four-patch locbloc ruler. I used Nexcare Clear Flexible First Aid tape (3M) and built up the corners of my 4" square ruler. This made a space for the seams to sit along the 2" horizontal/vertical lines so my ruler didn't wobble any more.

There may already be a ruler like this but since necessity is the mother of invention and I live in the woods far, far away from any quilting store I had to do something. Hope you can see where I added the tape. It took approximately 5 or 6 layers to get the thickness I needed.

I'm having trouble getting my pix small enough - hope you can see it or maybe someone help me with it.
    Well done misseva, I know that those companies that come up with new rulers etc. need to make money but really we gals who have limited budgets appreciate others with the nounce to work out a cheaper way.When I began to pass on what knowledge I had to beginnersI always said to look at the simple rulers to work out how to cut shapes, Buy a 6" , 12" and a six x 24" ruler and you have it all, true since then I also have a 16 1/2 square ruler to square large blocks also. ( shhh ! I have also wasted money on so called short cut rulers) It is good when those expierienced quilters give advice to beginners, then the money saved can be spent on fabric----- there is no subsitute for that !!!!! Letty xx
    Old 10-18-2013, 09:32 AM

I just went to the Pacific International Quilt show in Santa Clara, CA yesterday. They had a Loc-Block booth and they sell every size and shape you can image, even for circles. But they were pretty expensive. They also sell two books with all the different blocks you can make. Thanks for the cheat-sheet version.
    Old 10-18-2013, 09:43 AM

nursie, are you saying there is a Loc-Bloc for 4-patches? I went to their site and didn't see anything except for HSTs.
    Old 10-18-2013, 10:21 AM
    Power Poster

Clever! Now where is that tape....