Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
have a question about a border fabric >

have a question about a border fabric

have a question about a border fabric

Old 01-28-2011, 04:36 PM

I like this border fabric here http://www.jinnybeyer.com/fabrics/co...umbers=borders (it's the purple Coraline).

I don't see anywhere on there that tells how wide the border is. I emailed this site last week and they havent answered.

My next question is: If I wanted to order some to put around my quilt as a border, how do I calculate how much I need? My quilt is 92 x 92.
Old 01-28-2011, 04:47 PM

Borders vary in size. 5-6 inches, sometinmes double borders, depends on the look you want. Some folks only bind it comes down to personal preference. Pieced borders are pretty (like piano keys). One lady has a thread showing a dresdan type border. the sky is the limit!
Old 01-28-2011, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Renee110
I like this border fabric here http://www.jinnybeyer.com/fabrics/co...umbers=borders (it's the purple Coraline).

I don't see anywhere on there that tells how wide the border is. I emailed this site last week and they havent answered.

My next question is: If I wanted to order some to put around my quilt as a border, how do I calculate how much I need? My quilt is 92 x 92.
You need four repeats. There will likely be four repeats over the width of the fabric. With a border fabric like this you'll want to miter your borders. So, you need the length of each border plus the width of the border x 2. You're maximum border width will be 10 inches (40 divided by 4) You're quilt measures 92 X 92 and that's 2.5 yards. So you'll need 2.5 yards in length plus another 20 inches maximum to miter your corners. That's 3 yards and an eighth. I'd get 3 and a quarter.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:03 PM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
You need four repeats. There will likely be four repeats over the width of the fabric. With a border fabric like this you'll want to miter your borders. So, you need the length of each border plus the width of the border x 2. You're maximum border width will be 10 inches (40 divided by 4) You're quilt measures 92 X 92 and that's 2.5 yards. So you'll need 2.5 yards in length plus another 20 inches maximum to miter your corners. That's 3 yards and an eighth. I'd get 3 and a quarter.
While agree with those measurements for a regular border,
I think that's cutting it way too close on Jinny Beyer border fabric. Thpse numbers assume the border will fall exactly where you want it straight off the bolt.

The trick to using a Beyer border fabric is to have the motifs placed correctly where you want them. So if you just took the 3.25 yards and folded a border strip in half, the big motif might not be dead center on the side of the quilt. And if it's off, you'll see it. Which would be a shame. That beautiful symmetry - that's the whole purpose of those particular border fabrics.

You can find other links, but this is the first one I came across:
http://www.jinnybeyer.com/_media/fre...Pattern-r2.pdf

See how the border fabric is PERFECTLY symmetrical on each side of the center of the table runner? Now, on your quilt/fabric it might be the border motif that is centered.

Depending on the size of the motifs, you need some wiggle room.

I wouldn't get less than 4 yards. Because if you don't have any room to adjust, the 3.25 yards are useless for your purposes. All for saving $6?
Old 01-28-2011, 06:10 PM
MTS
Banned

Here's a link to more tips about placement and cutting JB border print fabrics:

http://www.jinnybeyer.com/quilttips/index.cfm
Old 01-28-2011, 07:11 PM

Just a note. The site I found it on said that it doesn't come out until March 2011. Thought you might want to know.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:20 PM

Everyday I learn I have so much to learn! I'm constantly humbled by everyone here and their knowledge!

I tried to figure out the way Jinny has you doing the border. It seems like it might more more advanced than I am.

Hmmm...Jinny's online store doesn't say anything about the fabric not being available right now. I don't want to order it if I can't get it for weeks.
Old 01-29-2011, 05:45 AM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by Renee110
I tried to figure out the way Jinny has you doing the border. It seems like it might more more advanced than I am.
I knew there had to be a more detailed explanation out there. Try this:

http://www.jinnybeyer.com/_media/pdf...rstheJBWay.pdf

It's all about laying it out and marking before cutting.
Take a deep breath, work slowly, follow the instructions and I'm sure you'll be fine.

And don't forget to come back and post pictures!

As for the fabric availability, call the store and ask:
866-759-7373 (Toll-free)
703-759-0250
They're open on Saturdays .
Old 01-29-2011, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by Pat P
Borders vary in size. 5-6 inches, sometinmes double borders, depends on the look you want. Some folks only bind it comes down to personal preference. Pieced borders are pretty (like piano keys). One lady has a thread showing a dresdan type border. the sky is the limit!
Dresden plate border, ohhhh, would love that. Where could I find that?