Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have you ever been to an unfriendly quilt shop? >

Have you ever been to an unfriendly quilt shop?

Have you ever been to an unfriendly quilt shop?

Old 01-20-2011, 01:22 PM

When I just began quilting, I visited the local quilt shop. I was hoping for some help as I had questions and wanted suggestions. I looked around a little first and picked out a few fabrics. A salesman came in and she (the owner) spent all her time with him. I did mentioned about some help, so she sent her son (probably about 13 or so, over to "help" me. He could not and she obviously thought it more important to pay attention to the salesman, so I left my things and left. I may have gone back in there if I really needed something, but never to brouse. She was so rude!!!!!

Another time in a different town, again at the beginning of my quilting phase, I visited a quilt shop, again only the owner was there and she was working on a quilt and paid me no attention at all. I did ask her a couple questions, and she acted like she didn't have the time nor the desire to accommodate me. Again I just left and never did go back in there. She has since opened an on-line store only and I think she authors a quilt magazine of some kind. Much better place for her to be, not working directly with the public. She had a very negative reputation in this town.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by patski
I think it is a disease in FLorida. Quilt shops are NOT friendly here. That is why I mostly buy on line
I've come to the conclusion that it's the water we have down here that causes these problems.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Thea
Good morning, I'm hee in So. Fl, I would love to visit that quilt shop. Do you have a name and address ?
Here is their website - http://rainbowsendquiltshoppe.com/
Old 01-20-2011, 02:11 PM

Just a thought........

I realize there are some meanies who run quilt shops. But, by some chance can it be one's attitude when they walk in? While it would be nice to be greeted soon as I walked in but I don't need it, polite conversation at the cutting table or register is sufficient.

Now I have in the past commented on the "mood" of a shop and the strange looks. I just let them know, my paycheck is a hell of a lot more than theirs and I will spend it down the road.

The shop in Eugene we went to a couple of weeks ago was like walking into Gramma's house had everything but the homemade cookies. :)
Old 01-20-2011, 03:28 PM

Extreme: If more people would complain to management, then something might get done. I lodged an online complaint about the checkers at W-M making the grocery bags too heavy and I had a phone call from the asst. manager the next day. I have complained about the J-A clerks, but have never heard anything. I hope that the new ownership will make some huge changes in J-A.
I emailed JoAnn's about an overcharge at a store near Portland, OR. I live in AZ. I not only received an email back, the manager of the store in Oregon called me, got the date of purchase, etc., and then called me back to rectify the problem. Turned out it was one of those "can't get a discount because it's on sale." What irritated me the most was the clerk at checkout had said the discount was automatically figured in.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:59 PM

I have been reading all results of unfriendly quilt shop visit.
I have been to a few that was unfriendly...
I also have a suggestion. All of these messages should be
printed and mailed to the quilt shop owner...

Do you think it would make a difference? Especially when
you build up for a good day and drive for several hours to get
some where then what a let down...
Old 01-20-2011, 05:35 PM

Yes, the first one in Billings, Montana, and the second one in Great Falls, Montana. Funny thing both of these stores were featured in quilt magazines for being such wonderful stores. Unfriendly staff in both. So angry when I left store in Great Falls, I went to another local LQS there and spent $400.00.
Old 01-21-2011, 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by fireworkslover
I just don't go into the JoAnn's in my town much anymore. They never seem to have enough workers available to help you when you want it. I don't like standing in line to get my fabric cut, then standing in line to check-out. If I don't know where something is and ask, chances are they don't know the answer either. It's just more frustrating for me to even go there, so I choose to not go.
I have the same problem at Spotlight here in Australia, are they owned by the same company I wonder? :thumbdown:
Old 01-21-2011, 06:45 AM

Yes, we have also been in that quilt shop. We even addressed this issue and one lady there told us they had a meeting about it. Must not have worked for very long if they are still acting that way. Visit The Christmas Goose..they have lovely fabric and are always friendly.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:22 AM

I was relatively new to quilting and went to a shop recommended by a veteran quilter. I guess I asked too many questions because they told me I would be best suited going elsewhere. I was aghast and humilitated. Luckily I didn't give up and found better and friendlier shops.