Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have you ever bought a quilt kit? >

Have you ever bought a quilt kit?

Have you ever bought a quilt kit?

Old 08-22-2010, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Nona
I bought 2 kits of JoAnn's years ago and it was the worse experience I have every seen. I made the first one up and it looked so bad I didn't finish the rest of it. the second one is still waiting for me to throw it away. I have never bought a kit since then.
OHhhhhh don't throw it away!! Surely someone here on the board can do something with it. That and the first one are probably salvagable in some way. We poor folks can't bear the thought of throwing fabrics away. It pains us, LOL. Hugs and smiles, Linda
Old 08-22-2010, 12:06 PM

Never. It wouldn't be "mine" if someone else put everything together. But.........whatever works for everyone........different strokes for............
Old 08-22-2010, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Jamiestitcher62
I think the problem here was you bought it from Joann's. I have had awesome luck with kits purchased from Fat Quarter Shop. I like that I don't have to pick the colors. I'm one of those people who sees something on the wall or in a book and says yea, I want to do that one right there....give me that one. LOL.
In defense of Joann's, I bought a quilt kit there last November and made it during the winter. The fabrics were top quality and there was plenty of every fabric to finish the quilt top and binding. I couldn't be happier with it. The price was reasonable and since I bought it the day after Thanksgiving I got it for 40% off the regular reasonable price.
Old 08-22-2010, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by bob1414
Never. It wouldn't be "mine" if someone else put everything together. But.........whatever workd for everyone........different strokes for............
That's true, BUT it can be a learning experience for a beginner or for one who needs to train their eye to good color combinations, etc.
Old 08-22-2010, 12:57 PM

I have bought some from Keepsake Quilting and Kaffe Fassett. They were beautiful and plenty of quality fabric. They come in handy since I am handicapped and can't always go shopping as I live in the country. I wouldn't bother making one from Joanne's or discount place. Buy a couple and gave them away to beginners. The fabric just wasn't up to snuff. Also, I am doing the Civil War Tribute and the fabric is fine. I have seen the quilts on Blue Bamboo and they appear gorgeous. Will try them next.
Old 08-22-2010, 01:56 PM

I haven't bought any. I'm afraid I'll make a mistake and they won't have any of the fabric left.
Old 08-22-2010, 05:37 PM

I have purchased one quilt kit, from Keepsake Quilting and I had plenty of fabric of very good quality, even had enough left over to make a wallhanging. the pattern was the Garden Twist featured in every one of Keepsake's books.
Old 08-22-2010, 10:00 PM

I have purchased a couple of quilt kits. Most that I purchase are from Fat Quarter Shop, my favorite OQS :D . I have never had any issues with their kits. But I also like to do my own.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:08 AM
Bev

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
Or other project kit?

Were you glad that you did?

And did you actually use the kit? Or did it just join your stash?
I've only bought one, once. It was a kit for Olivia the pig for my tiny granddaughter who loves Olivia. I had seen the quilt and knew it was just what I wanted to make, then it was impossible for me to find every one of the different prints in it. So I found the kit on-line and boy was I glad! It was perfect, and she loves it to death. I'm glad I found it.

8-)
Old 08-23-2010, 12:39 PM

Yes. I have done a few. I like them. I have about 4 I have not done yet.