Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have you ever bought a quilt kit? >

Have you ever bought a quilt kit?

Have you ever bought a quilt kit?

Old 08-21-2010, 06:11 PM

I have bought several quilt kits and have been pleased with them. They have been the fabric and pattern, not precut block pieces. Some of them have been a little skimpy on fabric, others have been over generous.
Old 08-21-2010, 06:13 PM

I bought a kit from Jinny Beyer, and although it was somewhat expensive, it was fabulous! It took a while to put together, but I had it quilted, and donated it to a charity fund-raiser, and I honestly think it was the prettiest quilt I have ever done. I almost cried when I had to give it up.
The nice thing about the quilt kits is that you don't have to run back to the fabric store because you still need 1/2 yard of that one material that you need to finish your quilt. :)
Old 08-21-2010, 06:13 PM

I agree, the cost of block-of-the-month seems to be out of line for what you get.
Old 08-21-2010, 06:41 PM

I've bought quilt kits for some of the same reasons that others have mentioned.... not so great at putting color together and it's a timesaver when I don't have to run all over to get the colors that I want.

My first attempts at putting together color combinations have left me less than thrilled with the final quilt. I match things too much and don't have the contrast to make the quilt "sing." So someone else's expertise helps me with color choices.

Also, I live an hour away from a quilt shop and am currently staying with my elderly mother so my time is limited for making shopping trips. It helps me bunches to have everything I need so that I don't have to wait until I can make a trip to the nearest LQS. So quilt kits bought on sale or at ebay have been a real find for me.

Can't believe the deals that some of you have found at thrift shops and estate sales. My best deals have been old quilts that I want to replicate one day...they're cheap but pretty worn.
Old 08-21-2010, 06:58 PM

I have bought several from the that I get on Shop Hop's. You know the fabric is good ....I've had fun with them.
Old 08-21-2010, 06:59 PM

I bought 2 kits of JoAnn's years ago and it was the worse experience I have every seen. I made the first one up and it looked so bad I didn't finish the rest of it. the second one is still waiting for me to throw it away. I have never bought a kit since then.
Old 08-21-2010, 07:02 PM

I think going to a local QS is a good way to go.. You can always go back if the fabric, etc does not turn out to be good.
Old 08-21-2010, 07:04 PM

Yes, but only if I absolutely couldn't resist the fabric and it's the only way to get it!
Old 08-21-2010, 08:25 PM

I just bought one from JoAnn's -BOM + setting package for about $65 for the whole quilt - Haven't started it yet so home it turns out okay. The colors are great. I did by a couple for England Design and had plenty of material and good color choices.
Old 08-21-2010, 08:29 PM

I've done a few kits, and always enjoyed them. They had everything I needed and worked just fine.. I especially like to buy a kit when it's something I don't have much of.. like Halloween fabric.. Then a kit is very nice to do!

The thing I don't like is that I almost always want to change something.. like add an extra row so that the quilt is rectanglar rather than a square... that gives me fits now and then... so I'm careful which kits I buy..

Mostly I make up my own stuff so don't bother with a kit, but I'm glad they are offered.