Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have you ever disliked a pattern because of the fabrics in the sample? >

Have you ever disliked a pattern because of the fabrics in the sample?

Have you ever disliked a pattern because of the fabrics in the sample?

Old 02-07-2016, 11:17 PM

Only this morning on another site I was looking at a pattern in batik fabric which I disliked the colour mix. The pattern was just squares joined together and a border, nothing to dislike there.
Old 02-08-2016, 03:00 AM

i wondered if this was an issue for me as I am new to quilting. The other part, for me, is I am drawn to modern bold quilts with solid fabrics, but when I am in the stores I fall in love with fancy prints that I am unable to coordinate. Ah well, I have a lovely stash for someday.
Old 02-08-2016, 04:44 AM

I can usually see the shapes and ignore whatever the designer used. What will deter me from even looking is drooling over "cute" and the same for the fabric line. I rarely look at quilts online. I will check out patterns for blocks and the patterns in an LQS. I dislike some precuts. If a quilt is designed for a jelly roll, forget it. I won't buy one so put the actual yardage on the pattern. (There just aren't enough of the colors that I do want) I also have EQ7 and can futz it I so desire.

If it's in large frilly or floral prints, I don't like those, but I can still see the shapes. I will buy a pattern for a certain construction detail, but then apply that detail to something else. I also prefer earth tone colors and can see the pattern in the colors I like. This is also why I won't buy a kit. I like the pattern, but not the fabric.

I mix and match everything and have no brand loyalty. I go by color.

I learned to do this with garment sewing. I bought some pattern drafting software to help. I don't have to bother with the latest and greatest, I get what I want. That's the whole reason for sewing. Do it yourself.
Old 02-08-2016, 04:45 AM

Smart idea! It could help me get past the "oh, that's hideous!" reaction to "bet that would look good in my colors".

Originally Posted by Bree123 View Post
Yes! I used to have the same difficulty when making clothes and home dec items, too. To help me get past the ugly colors/textures, I look at it through the "tonal" filter on my phone. When picking fabrics, I print out a copy of the pattern in grey scale so I can use beautiful fabrics that I love instead of getting trapped into a boring recreation of someone else's color choices.
Old 02-08-2016, 05:33 AM

I agree with Bree123. When I print a pattern with my computer I always do it in black and white-just for that reason. If I like a magazine pattern I print it with my copy feature on the printer-in black and white. After I choose colors I make a test block and print it with the copier in black and white. Then I can see if I get the shading balanced-like the original pattern. This helps me a lot with color choices-this is the hardest part of the process for me.
Old 02-08-2016, 06:13 AM

Definitely! I pick my own colors and fabrics and seldom buy a kit.
Old 02-08-2016, 06:22 AM
Power Poster

My day job as a realtor and showing properties has taught me to look at patterns as a blank canvas. I may not like the color palette/décor but what about the layout and would it work. Some clients are easier than others. ALso like a recipe/base, how can I tweak it and add my own touch/spices to bump it up.
Old 02-08-2016, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer View Post
Absolutely--many in the magazines turn me off until I see the plain color schematic with it--then I may take notice. It seems when the magazine only uses one new fabric line, the quilt just seems so busy and not interesting to me.
yes, i agree,,,it seems the mags are just advertising a line of fabric. Sometimes it's so busy you cannot even find the pattern! I really can't remember doing a pattern in the same fabrics as the pattern I may be using.....
Old 02-08-2016, 06:51 AM
Power Poster

Absolutely. But I try to look at the BONES of a pattern and not the fabric used. I think there is always pressure with major fabric manufacturers to use their fabric which might not be appropriated for that quilt pattern. Just my guess.
Old 02-08-2016, 10:59 AM

Yes this happens to me also.