Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have you ever gotten tired of a color in your stash? >

Have you ever gotten tired of a color in your stash?

Have you ever gotten tired of a color in your stash?

Old 12-14-2010, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by amma
I don't think there is a single color that I don't like, or wouldn't use :D:D:D
I'm with amma on this one... I love color...And although orange isn't one of my favorites. Pairing it with the right shade of blue would make a pretty dramatic design...

Sloan, I really love the colors in that fabric...If you flip it over and the backside of it shows up the pattern ( but in a much softer version) Then I think it would make a beautiful sky pattern..I'd sew a whole section of the right side/ front of the fabric at the top and attach the wrong side/backside to that - so that it fades into the horizen line...
You might have to find a transition color between the two if they are way off in value. Or alternate 1" strips of each between the two..But they may make a perfect transition on their own...
Maybe add a fabric reminiscent of water below that then maybe a seashell fabric with a hint of the same tones of the sky.. Lastly, Applique sailboats or a light house maybe birdes etc...Or..or.. or... haha....I think It would make a gorgeous wallhanging
Old 12-14-2010, 07:44 AM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

Originally Posted by quilt3311
Colors cycle about every 20 years...
Oh, boy! Then dusty blue and mauve should be coming back in style any minute!

:idea:
Old 12-14-2010, 07:49 AM

For whatever reason I don't care for fabric I have been donating it to the Viet Nam Vets or Lupus Foundation. Now my sister has joined a group at her church that makes quilts for the homeless. They will use anything, sheets, material, tablecloths, curtains, mattress pads, blankets, batting. It doesn't need to be cotton material. They tie all of them so there went all my left over yarn odds and ends. It felt great. Winter in Minnesota is no time to be without a quilt!!!
Old 12-14-2010, 08:00 AM

Anything muted with grey tones :thumbdown:
Old 12-14-2010, 08:04 AM

If all else fails use it as a quilt back. I think it is really neat and you could cut it up into some lovely flowers for applique.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:06 AM
Power Poster

Your fabric would make a great background for a sailboat or such, with a sunset kind of theme.

I don't care for orange, rust, peach, etc. Or dull, drab fabrics. Warm colors are hit & miss with me.
I do love brights and batiks! Pinks, fuschia, purples I will use any day!! :)
Old 12-14-2010, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by PiecesinMn
Now my sister has joined a group at her church that makes quilts for the homeless. They will use anything, sheets, material, tablecloths, curtains, mattress pads, blankets, batting.
This is what I do. I got started quilting because some people (churches) sent me their uglies. I cut them into small pieces and made decent looking quilts out of some really hideous fabric. That was several years ago. Since they are for charity, I only tie them,though.

Mostly I get stuff from the local used clothing store. I look for curtains made with regular fabric or bedding. Our fabric choices are indeed limited. Maybe I'll get a picture next time I go to the fabric shop of the choice of cottons that I have. :)
Old 12-14-2010, 08:20 AM

Never liked Country Blue. I prefer more intense colors. Also, I am not much to follow color trends. I have found lately that I have added more brown variations to my stash. I have also been including more background colors other than the light ones I bought in the beginning.

It really helps to look at lots of other quilts as a beginner, it helps you learn to think outside the box.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:38 AM

I read somewhere that if you have a fabric you can't stand, you haven't cut it small enough yet.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:01 AM

I like white to black and every color inbetween. There isn't a color I've met that I don't like. There may be some prints I don't like, but I love them all. They all have different reasons for different quilts.