Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have you ever made the same quilt or other project twice? >

Have you ever made the same quilt or other project twice?

Have you ever made the same quilt or other project twice?

Old 04-09-2011, 12:07 PM

The Turning Twenty is the best. I have made a lot of them. Very easy also. I'm not into the fancy ones. Love them, but not good enough.All the ones I have made went to my children and spouce's (8) and 9 grandchildren. Some got doubles. Just enjoy what you do.
Old 04-09-2011, 12:10 PM

I can't do the same thing twice. I quit sewing garments - 2 sleeves, 2 pant legs - 2 pockets - 2 lapels. I had tons of half finished pieces of clothing I couldn't finish because of getting bored doing the same thing twice! I don't even drive home the same way each time - always need variety. Yes, I'm strange :-)
Old 04-09-2011, 12:24 PM

I've made several pinwheel quilts, potato chip quilts, and the log cabin heart quilts, but never the same colors.
Old 04-09-2011, 01:35 PM

I have made three Weaver Fever quilts....one using the size of everything in the booklet (10" blocks), one had everything doubled (20" blocks instead of 10") and one had everything halved... 5" blocks instead of 10". All the same colors for a reason; I used them as an example of scale when I taught math. The kids loved seeing what you could do with scale and I enjoyed the challenge of figuring it all out and making them....
Old 04-09-2011, 01:39 PM

i make the same patterns a lot, especially if it's for a gift or baby shower. I know the pattern and can put it together quickly. They always come out differently depending on the person it's for!
Old 04-09-2011, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic
I have made the same pattern twice with different fabs. One to keep, one to sell. I have also made several T-shirt quilts on commission that I used the same setting but they all look different because of the T-Shirt imprints. Normally once I make a pattern I don't want to make it again unless someone is paying me to do it.
I have made 2 circle of life quilts. 1 for my daughter & 1 for my daughter in law. Of course they were in different colors.
Old 04-09-2011, 01:55 PM

many times in different colours and once in the same colours it was a baby girl quilt. I can perfect my technique if it is challenging also.
Old 04-09-2011, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by MTS
I've made several Lone Stars - but trying something different in the setting each time. Yeah, they have the same star, but no 2 really look anything alike.

Also Blooming 9-patches - more than a dozen as those are so much fun (for me) working to get the right fabrics. And those can end up with totally different looks - kids brights, elegant, oriental, etc.

I actually got sick of doing 9 patches so I used the fabrics chosen for my last Blooming to make a Lone Star. ;-) The star is done but it's in my UFO pile (for over 4 years :roll: ) while I ponder the setting.

I've made several RainyDay quilts - again, just testing how the the different fabrics can work.

I don't ever use "collections" of fabrics, or charm packs or layer cakes. Way too matchy matchy for me. I much prefer making my own fabric choices. Totally.

I have a fabulous baby quilt I make all the time because it's perfect and graphic and ignores whatever 'decor' the parents might have in mind. ;-) And I always, always know I have the fabrics needed on hand.

With the exception of the baby quilt (which can look similar even though each has different fabrics), I consider each one unique.
I'd like to know what your fabulous baby quilts are and the blooming nine patch.

I do almost every quilt twice to be sure I know the basics. I always use different color combinations.
Old 04-09-2011, 02:32 PM

Yes I've made two log cabin quilts but I varied the size of the strips so one was a regular log cabin and the second was a twisted log cabin. I've also made 2 bear paw quilts. One was a full-size quilt, and the second was a lap top bear paw but the paws were a smaller size. Still two of my favorite patterns.
Old 04-09-2011, 03:49 PM

I did the same pattern three times so that my three grandsons (who are brothers) will have the same pattern but totally different fabric and themes. Somehow the different patterns did not make it seem like the same, but I was glad to finally complete the last one. They were queensize that I hand quilted on my Grace frame. The rest of the grandsons got different quilts so now all six have something from me. Yes, I did put in labels with their names and dates on them. They have not left their beds in all these years (at least 4 years) so I guess they liked them.