Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Have you ever made the same quilt or other project twice?

I've made 3 of my avatar quilt, the first to see if I could make it, the second to test the pattern, and the third to test the revised pattern. I've made several OBW's and 2 of the Ricky Tims kaleidoscope (those are like potato chips, you can't stop at one). Several traditional log cabins, all with different settings and some with altered blocks. I plan to make the French braid again (when I find the right fabrics). I don't see any problem with repeating a pattern, because the finished quilts will be very different.

Blog Entries
    I've made the following quilt several times; tried to find photos of each version, but they're buried on CDs somewhere. This was one of my first quilts; I made it in a weekend from a Singer book. I also made it in entirely off-whites for a wedding present; and I made it in pastels for a baby. And I made it in bright batiks for a niece.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I plan to make several rag quilts of course using different fabrics to gift to others. I'm putting one together now with a second already cut and ready to sew.

I'll probably make several rail fence ones as well.

I did! I never prewash my fabrics. The first quilt I made for a doll quilt swap, when washed had red run all over the predominantly white quilt! So I remade it. My wonderful secretary took the first one and managed to get the red out!

Blog Entries
    I like making those Twisters,I've made a few of those,also a full sized D9P and a baby quilt D9P.I forgot to take picture of the baby quilt.Connie in CO

When making Project Linus quilts, I try to make two or three at once, just using the same pattern and fabric. I can make more quilts faster that way.

I have made 3 I Spy quilts with the same layout, different fabrics depending on the gender of the child I was making it for. Plan to make several more.

Actually, yes. I made my two oldest grand daughters a Sun Bonnet Sue quilt. One in pinks and greens and one in yellows and lavenders. But, that's the only ones I've ever duplicated.

Blog Entries
    I've made two Bodacious patterns in different colors and I have made two Jacob's Ladders in different colors. I also made two identical 9-patch with alternate heart squares because I had made too many 9-patch blocks for the first one.

Some patterns just speak to me and it is in the color choices where I try to meet the receiver's need.

My sister had a habit of asking me to duplicate quilts I made as she liked them so much. I'm also made the same quilt twice using different colors.

Blog Entries
    I have made the same pattern more than once, some are just too fun to make only one :D:D:D

Yup I sure do. Sometimes two at once of the same quilt.

I agree, different colors and sometimes textures can change your whole design! I make wall hangings and then have all my daughters and daughter-in-law wanting one , so must make several! Don't mind at all! Plus I get to show them off at quilt guild mettings!

There is a free pattern called "Wickedly Easy" that I have made several times, mostly the crib size for charity quilts. This is a free pattern. Just google "Wickedly Easy".

There is also a pattern called "Easy Breezy" which is just a large center panel with a plain first border and a piano key border that I have made several times.

I have made a Bear's Paw in the Cabin quilt for every wedding in our family except one ald also for my mother but all of them were in different colors. I also sold 2 of that pattern. I have made quite a few bargellos as well. If I really like the pattern I will make more than 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Neena
    good question! I usually don't make the same quilt twice...except for the turning twenty that is so versatile and quick.
    Turning Twenty for me too. I must have made 20 or more of these for gifts, so quick and easy. Also my kids like them, they say they're more modern and "not an old lady quilt".

Quote Originally Posted by mimom
    I have made the same pattern more than once, just in different colors.
    Me too. It's amazing how different fabics give the same pattern different looks.

Blog Entries
    Yes I will make duplicates if I like the pattern.
    For example, the Pineapple Blossom quilt, I made at least (4) quilt tops in different sizes and only quilted the one used for my avatar.

I've done two snowball quilts...different fabrics and styles of borders on them, but same size/layout, the second one was commissioned. I'll be doing a second D9P soon...maybe. Depends on which pattern expectant mommy likes better, but she's leaning to D9P.

I belong to a church quilt ministry and we make lap quilts for babies in a local hospital nursery so we try to make as many as possible. I've found many great ideas on this website and usually will make 4 or 5 small quilts using the technique.....until I get tired of it. I also never thought I'd do a series of quilts, but find it's fun to see how a pattern plays out with different fabrics and layouts....etc.

Perhaps the same pattern, but absolutely not the same fabrics.

yes, made 4 grankids ragged quilts but in their fav colors and prints. Also, Mom and made table runners for my sisters in different colors using the double wedding ring pattern.

Kas
    I made two Double Wedding Rings that were supposed to be for my parent's and inlaws 45 wedding anniversaries, even though it was my parents 46th. So I cut them out at the same time. I used all the same fabrics, just with a different placement. Inlaws got there's on time, mom got her's this Christmas. She had just had her 51st anniversary alone since Daddy died after their 50th. Here are pics of both. The one with the cat is my mom's.

Ok. For some reason my computer is telling me I am not allowed access to my own photos. I will get back to ya with the other one!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have made the same pattern more than once. but never out of the same fabrics! Two of my favorite patterns are the Pinwheel and Prairie point quilt in the Moda bake shop, and the Zig Zag quilt made with HST! I have made several of each!

Super Member I go To The Sea To Breathe's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I have tried, not in quilting but in sewing, and I have a terrible time making the same thing over a second time...I guess it is some type of personality defect.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast