Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Have you ever

can't remember which one, i think better homes and gardens, quilting magazine has a piece about making bags out of dog food bags. saw it at walmart but didn't buy it or read it so i don't know if they tell you how to get the smell or greasy feel out of them.

I have seen the totes made with the bird food bags, some of them have such pretty pictures! I love to recycle. We us Purina here and the bags do stink, but the stuff they are madefrom sure is STRONG!

You are right that the bags are strong! But my dogs' food is salmon based at the moment and don't know that I could ever get the fishy smell out. You've got me thinkin', though, that this bag surely isn't recyclable...I'll put my thinking cap on and find some other use for it!

This thread was great fun to read and laugh out load this morning. Very silly stuff but the one about possibly needing to mail the dog really set me off! And, BarbaraTX, what awesome fun ideas! I hope I can remember these ideas later. Gotta go google naked mail now.

Quote Originally Posted by janRN
    Here's the ultimate in recycling: before cutting the grass my DH has to de-poop the yard. Last week I looked out and he was putting it in the empty dog food bag. Is that the meaning of the saying "what goes around comes around"?
    This is what my Husband does. Those bags are tough. I'm trying to figure out how my dogs can eat 50# of food but reture 100# of .....well you get the picture :shock:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kristen0112
    You girls crack me up who smells their dog food bags after they are empty? I am picturing all of you sticking your noses into your dog food bag after its empty like somehow it didn't smell before when the food was in it??? Ha ha ha.
    Well, my dog food bags are 40# and you can't miss the smell when you open them. Aside from the smell there is dog food residue in/on the plastic lining. I recycle my bags by using them for the trash. I am not so poor as to need to recycle dog food bags; can think of other things to recycle. Most post offices want to be able to read the label easily, so request you wrap printed packages in brown paper. At least mine does.

I used to mail odd items unwrapped just for fun. Had a friend that did the same. The only piece that didn't make it through the mail was a slice of tree bark. The smallest thing I sent was a piece of paper the size of an address label. It was an address label and it got through fine.

I love the idea of using food bags for pooh. Thanks for that.

Quote Originally Posted by grann of 6
    Most post offices want to be able to read the label easily, so request you wrap printed packages in brown paper. At least mine does.
    I printed the address label on a sheet of copy paper making the letters real big so to be easily read and covered any writing and pictures on the bag. I used clear packing tape to completely cover the label so it wouldn't smear or get ripped off.

This idea ROCKS !!! What a great way to 1)get rid of that smell, 2) get rid of the crumbs and 3) have a clean envelope for mailing....
    Quote Originally Posted by oatw13
    If you did this, I would turn it inside out. That way the smell that is trapped on the inside, along with any residue from the food, wouldn't get on the contents of your package.

I would think it would stand up to the abuse of the USPS.

Never thought of that. I do use them for trash bags in the breezeway where we store the dogs food. But it I save one more thing for recycling my DD will throw me out. I had to get rid of a bunch of stuff I was saving for IF I ever get around to dyeing fabric.
    Smell-- wash and febreeze or wash with vinegar?

KLO
    Blog Entries
    I am new to posting here but I also saw the pattern for the dog food bag tote. You do have to turn the bag inside out and wash/dry before using. Don't know if I can include a link but here it is (if it goes through). We dog people would probably like this!!!
    http://www.allfreecrafts.com/recycli...bag-tote.shtml

Ours smell AWFUL! Yuk.

Turn the bag inside out.
    Take the bag outdoors and hose it off with soap and the hose.
    Dry in the sun.

No smells.

Susan

Here's the ultimate in recycling: before cutting the grass my DH has to de-poop the yard. Last week I looked out and he was putting it in the empty dog food bag. Is that the meaning of the saying "what goes around comes around"?
    I do the same thing. Then the bag gets burned with the rest of the burnables.

Quote Originally Posted by oatw13
    If you did this, I would turn it inside out. That way the smell that is trapped on the inside, along with any residue from the food, wouldn't get on the contents of your package.

I would think it would stand up to the abuse of the USPS.
    I second this, in fact I was just thinking it before I saw the idea already taken.

Blog Entries
    I use my cat food bag for used cat liter. So I do recycle. Not sure about using it for mailing.

Quote Originally Posted by quilter68
    No, I haven't thought of dog food bags but I do use the bags inside ceral boxes to store a cut onion or cucumber in the fridge. I follow the reuse/recycle motto.
    I do the same. I hate throwing those things away. They're great to reuse for something that reallly doesn't have to be sealed up tightly. It's just terrible the things we throw away without even thinking about it

LOL...that's a good one :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by Tink's Mom
    We do the same thing...I use really old barbeque tongs(retired)
    and attach the bag to the fence with a clothes pin
    ;-)
    My hubby runs over any pet poops to fertilize the yard and make it green :thumbup:

Quote Originally Posted by deanna.r
    The dog food that I use comes in a bag that is printed on the outside and looks like very heavy aluminum foil on the inside. When the bags are empty, I cut them open so that I have one large flat piece, wipe them with soapy water and rinse them. There is no dog food smell.

Then, when I am going to mail something, I cut and fold them to whatever size I need. I fold one edge over the other (no staples needed) and seal with packing tape. A permanent felt pen will write on the surface and will not smear. They are virtually bomb-proof and much lighter (and therefore cheaper) than using a sturdy cardboard box.
    It's just in my nature to re-use things...had to as a kid and has become a lifelong thing. I see it as a positive, so I have had those pangs of guilt when tossing the kitty food bag.
    They are so strong!
    This is a good idea. Question though: what kind of food do you buy. The inside of my bags are tan colored, but I suppose they could be washed, since it's got a waxy surface.
    I would not be offended to receive a package in a dog/cat food bag as long as it had the 'smells' washed off first.
    Some of those packages get roughed around on their way
    to their destination. Just ask my gypsy cousins ;) :lol:

I laughed so hard reading this. Maybe I should use the empty cat food back when I clean the litter today. Good idea and I am going to use it!

Blog Entries
    We use Mr. Sam's favorite (from WM). I figure after I wash it, and let it sit a day or 2, there shouldn't any smell. The "smelly" side will be on the outside anyway.

EEEyUUUU. Putting my quilts in those?! Wouldn't they smell?
    Best idea was the poop packages.

Blog Entries
    No, the smelly side will be on the outside. And my dog food is the dry kind and doesn't a smell till after its eaten.

I think I would stay away from that. It would be a shame to be giving a quilt and have it have to be treated for bad odors. I think we need to recycle where we can, but to me this pushes the window. :)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast