Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Have you ever

Turning the dog/cat food bags inside out would cure the smell. They certainly would be strong. I've seen postal employees turn other bags inside out and return items for a customer.

It was in the news lately about handling dog and cat food by children which has made children sick with loose bowels. (It was also making some pets sick.) They said that it was found to have e-coli. So, if you use the dog and cat food bags, I would suggest that you first wipe it down with clorox to disinfect, then wipe with water to make sure you no longer have clorox which would take the color out of material. Then it would be safe to use and more than likely, the smell would be gone also.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntie
    Turning the dog/cat food bags inside out would cure the smell. They certainly would be strong. I've seen postal employees turn other bags inside out and return items for a customer.
    Then you'll have to take a bath from turning the bag inside out. My dog food bags are paper on the outside and I am not sure how much messing around with they would take. Some of you people have entirely too much free time if you are washing dog food & cat food bags to save a little money. How about the dish liquid you are using to wash them, and the water, and worrying about them blowing away while drying.... Personally I would rather be quilting.

Our guild is having a class on making tote bags from the new
    non-recycleable cat/dog/bird/horse food bags at our sept mtg. I plan to remove both ends, turn it wrong side out and scrub it to remove any residue or odor. The gal teaching us
    has made some really neat bags using webbing for the handles. It's not as gross as you think.

Blog Entries
    My cousin down in Mississippi makes and sells jewelery, ect., and the small stuff, she makes envelopes out of paper grocery bags. She cuts the paper to look like an envelope and zig zags all around it to seal it.

YES! just tear out the plastic lining... that is where all of the smells are. the rest is perfectly good to use. :D

The bags I'm referring to are the new ones that do not have
    a paper lining. They are plastic as opposed to paper.

I bet it does, if I ever used such a bag, that would be my thought, put it out in the sun for a couple of days to get rid of the smell.
    Turning it inside out is a good one and of course I would wrap the quilt or whatever in plastic, perhaps place a couple of fabric softner sheets in the process.

I intend to give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by kristen0112
    You girls crack me up who smells their dog food bags after they are empty? I am picturing all of you sticking your noses into your dog food bag after its empty like somehow it didn't smell before when the food was in it??? Ha ha ha.
    You really don't have to stick your nose in the bag , just opening the first time kills me.

You can also make pet food bags in to totes. The pattern is on the internet. I don't remember where.
    Wickn34

I remember someone telling me about all the things they recycle and I try too but hubby manages too get most things and throw them away but back too the subject of the dog food bags. I am sure that someone told me that they take a bathrag(white) and wring all the water out it(it has a little bleach in it) and wipes all of the inside and then takes something like baby wipes and tries too get most of the bleach smell out and then sprays Febreeze inside the bad and leaves it sitting open till it dries. I have never tried this as I don't have a dog or cat. My chicken feed bags is all I have and I can't stand the smell of the feed just riding in the car home but never smelt of the inside of the bag. Some bags have two layers don't they so maybe one would work.

Quote Originally Posted by janRN
    Here's the ultimate in recycling: before cutting the grass my DH has to de-poop the yard. Last week I looked out and he was putting it in the empty dog food bag. Is that the meaning of the saying "what goes around comes around"?
    Thats what we do with the doo doo! I guess that it means things come full circle.

We had a class at quilter's guild last month and the lady had two of the big horse food bags made into totes. They were large. She just cut the bottoms off and turned them wrong side out. I would probably wash them with soap and soda water before sewing the bottom back together and turning the hem for the top. She said there are bird food bags that are absolutely beautiful with neat bird pictures on them. She just used heavy strapping for the handles. I would be willing to try it at least once. I keep telling Cookie to hurry up and eat that big back of chow!

i use them for yard waste - all kinds. esp small sticks etc as they do not puncture bag as they do with plastic.

Quote Originally Posted by grannysewer
    I didn't notice any smell when I picked up the bag out of the yard for the 3rd time this am. My dog thinks its great fun to carry it around and make noise with it. Course, it could have something to do with this hot Arkansas sun.
    I'm thinking you're recycling it already if you're letting your dog play with it, it beats buying those stuffed toys I saw at costco last week....

Oh, my aching sides! I've thought of using them for odds and ends, like homemade charcoal and hickory chunks (pecan wood smokes well too) or outside tools when we moved and kids yard toys. Never thought of something as personal as a tote. Like that potato chip bag recycled for purses, blew my mind. This is absolutely the best item you have posted yet and the comments makes Steve Martin Comedy look weak. Love you guys. Blessings, Ruth

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mrspete
    Oh, my aching sides! I've thought of using them for odds and ends, like homemade charcoal and hickory chunks (pecan wood smokes well too) or outside tools when we moved and kids yard toys. Never thought of something as personal as a tote. Like that potato chip bag recycled for purses, blew my mind. This is absolutely the best item you have posted yet and the comments makes Steve Martin Comedy look weak. Love you guys. Blessings, Ruth
    I have to agree with you, Ruth. Would make a good stand up comedy routine. I am all for recycling, have a rain barrel in my basement where I put all my dehumidifier water for my fish tanks and to water my house plants, save my old towels for car washing, and for the dogs, but save dog food bags for sewing??? Naw, I would rather use up my fabric stash.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sB1mE8e35UY

tote bags out of grocery bags. i don't see why you can't mail in them instead.
    but why not just use brown paper bags or re-use mailing envelopes or cartons instead? it's still recycling and much easier.

Quote Originally Posted by justwannaquilt
    I wouldn't because I have seen dog food that is almost greasy. It leaves a residue on the inside of the dog bowl and I wouldn't want anything that I put in there getting that same nastiness on it. Plus like someone else said I buy my dog food in 50# bags. I would have to send ALOT!
    That would be my concern also, the greasy residue.

Quote Originally Posted by lacikat
    Our guild is having a class on making tote bags from the new
    non-recycleable cat/dog/bird/horse food bags at our sept mtg. I plan to remove both ends, turn it wrong side out and scrub it to remove any residue or odor. The gal teaching us
    has made some really neat bags using webbing for the handles. It's not as gross as you think.
    Would love to see pics when you are done! Please post some!

Banned
    NO too smelly!!

Blog Entries
    What goes in must come out. LOL

I would suggest you check with the person you are sending something to in the recycled dog or cat food bag first before sending it. I suffer from chronic migraine headaches since the age of 12. I have a very strong sense of smells which can easily trigger a migraine. I hate it but have to be very careful with certain smells.

Yes it sure does! LMAO

Quote Originally Posted by janRN
    Here's the ultimate in recycling: before cutting the grass my DH has to de-poop the yard. Last week I looked out and he was putting it in the empty dog food bag. Is that the meaning of the saying "what goes around comes around"?

Dee
    LOL. I think our post office would not accept it. The smell is awful. I'll just stick to mailers.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast