Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Have you ever THROWN AWAY brand new fabric? ON PURPOSE!

Power Poster
    Remember you can cut it into strips to crochet with or add it to a clothesline basket for an accent colour.

You could cut it up and use for scraps or make dust cloths out of it. Cotton make very good dishrags if you crochet.
    Roxie

Yup, I had a piece of Wal-Mart flannel that pilled so badly with the pre-wash that it is now a dust rag! None of the other pieces did that and they were all in the same load!

Blog Entries
    Most likely there was a manufacturing problem with this fabric. Either take it back to the store for a refund, or put it to use in scraps, or donate to Goodwill (they bundle up unusable cottons to sell to paper companies). I wouldn't use it in a quilt.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcy View Post
    That's what I do. Make practice sandwiches from fabric I don't like or that is too stiff, and then test my free motion designs on them before putting a 'real' quilt under the needle.

You sure could make a ton of practice pads with six yards of Kona Black
    Arcy, that's the only reason it's still around...heaven knows I need the fmq practice! I just need to be able to afford the batting for the practice pieces...maybe I could use that ugly piece of red & black plaid flannel I've had for years - that was a "gift"...got yards of it, too!!
    Pat from Texas

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You can't live long enough to make them all yourself."

No. California. The foothills of the Sierras.
    Yep, I would cut it into strips and use it for stuffing dog pillows, toys, etc.
    Sue
    Face the sun and keep your shadow at your back.
    And it never hurts to keep an angel on your shoulder.

NOOOOOooooooooooo!!!!!! dont throw it away!!!!! please re-purpose or donate
    Candace is Deranged
    so many babies.. sew little quilts

I usually donate those pieces to Good Will - or my husbands rag bag

If it's not a "bleeder" you or someone you give it to can use it as the foundation for darker fabric string blocks.

PS I didn't read thru all four pages of responses, so I hope I'm not repeating another's idea ...

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by texpat45 View Post
    Oh, yes! I have one of those pieces of fabric now...had it for 4 or 5 years...haven't thrown it out...yet....but everytime I see it I'm sorely tempted. It's 6 yds of Kona Black...and I detest the stuff. Brought it home, washed it, dried it and both selvage edges ravelled out the entire 6 yd length. Had to pile the stuff on the bed to fold...it's thick...2-3 times thicker than any 100% cottan fabric I've ever seen and, wrinkled like a dried apple, and has picked up every thread and piece of lint within 3 miles. I've washed 2 or 3 times more - it just keeps wrinkling and picking up lint. Lint rolled it, tried dampening and ironing. It's junk and one of these days I'm gonna toss it.
    wow..I have used bolts of Kona black and NEVER had this happen...did you buy at a quilt shop or Hancocks?

I think I would return it.
    I bought 3 yards of Alexander henry fabric on ebay, After washing it, it was ruined. the seller was nice enough to refund my money and told me to keep the fabric. because it bleed so bad there was nothing i could use it for except dog bedding.
    Never look down on anyone, unless you are helping them up.

Blog Entries
    I thinkŽIŽd use it as a layer for chenille - been thinking of trying that for a while now....

Blog Entries
    it would make a tote bag...
    Never let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

I wouldn't throw it away. Heck, I don't throw anything away I would give it to a group that makes beds for the animal shelter. They could use it for stuffing in the beds.

Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
    i would never throw a piece of fabric in the garbage!
    if i'm not going to use it i give it away- i don't throw it away-
    chances are- if you dampen it= ironing wont be so bad= or using some sizing/starch on it-
    as for using it- if you cut it up- piece it- then quilt it- it should be just fine-
    i've had many 100% cottons come out very wrinkled (the sizing is washed out- and it's over dried) just re-wash it- don't dry it so long- iron it dry - it will be usable.
    as for it being a lint-magnet---some weaves seem to collect lint more than others- another thing some added sizing would cure. if you really don't want to use it-deal with it---pass it on to a thrift store- or group who is making charity quilts.
    I'd probably make dust rags or dish cloths with the piece.....or give them to DH to put in his rag stack in his shop.
    One step at a time, always forward.

I actually have thrown some away for just the reasons that you stated.
    Januari Rhodes
    26" Innova, LS, Pantovision, all on a 14' Frame

Blog Entries
    Why wouldn't you return it to the shop where you bought it? It certainly isn't doing what you bought it for. In Australia you are entitled to a refund if an item doesn't do the job it is supposed to.

It'll probably be the same way when you put it in a quilt. I'd use it for something else. Maybe make pincushion or something that won't be washed.

Blog Entries
    I curtainly would not keep it in your stash. Months or years later you might forget about the quality and use it in a project. I would bring it back. If purchased from a quilt shop the owner should appreciate that you brought it to her attention so she will no longer buy from that distributor. If the owner reacts badly then you know she is a bit shady and you don't need to do business there any more. My guess is, you purchased the fabric from Walmart or Ben Franklin's, and not Hobby Lobby or an established quilt shop.
    "I'm singing in the rain!......"

http://quiltingandotherramblings.blogspot.com/

One of my quilt instructors taught us to use long strips of fabrics for yard things. I'd tie up my tomatoes with any fabrics like that....and NEVER let it near a sewing project of ANY kind. I put too much effort into a quilt to trust an unstable fabric in it.
    "It's a *fine line* between HOBBY and MENTAL ILLNESS"~ Dave Barry

Toss it, shred it, burn it. It is cursed!

I would be tearing it up into strips for rag rugs.
    ABCDEFG

Blog Entries
    I would make a sandwich with it and use it for practicing FMQ,

Blog Entries
    I bought a piece of French Provincial beige tone-on-tone in a frenzy to get neutrals for a frien'ds quilt - no realizing that French countryside scenes with sheep was no my medium. I looked at again when I got home - and it went into the donate pile !!

I never put the fabric in the dryer , I always let it dry on a line. But I cannot throw away fabric, bad fabrics I already have used for toyes for the cats or as a pillow when they have they're kittens. But throwing away without using it first no I cannot, I will not use it in a quilt than , but for other things and after a while it can go in the bin.
    One craft project,
    like one cookie,
    is never enough ! (May Britt)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast