Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have you heard that JoAnn's fabric is poorer quality? >

Have you heard that JoAnn's fabric is poorer quality?

Have you heard that JoAnn's fabric is poorer quality?

Old 12-09-2011, 06:20 AM

Red face

I love what I get from quilt shops online (don't have any fabric shops within about a half hour of me, so don't get to them, or Jo-Ann's very often. I have found plenty of fabric at Jo-Ann's that I will use. It all depends on how it feels to you. I wouldn't let anyone tell me to "never" shop at Jo-Ann's. Make up your own mind. JMHO
Old 12-09-2011, 06:23 AM

Here is a good way to measure quality. Take a really nice piece of fabric to Joanns and try to match it color wise. Its a real eye opener.
Old 12-09-2011, 06:25 AM

If you "know" fabric you can get some good deals of overruns and out of date fabric....I buy everywhere....
Old 12-09-2011, 06:50 AM

You just have to be really careful with their fabric. Go by the feel, the density of the fabric (if you can see light through it, it's too loosely woven, check for shredding. I've gotten some really nice pieces there and I have also been badly burned.
Old 12-09-2011, 06:59 AM
j

My grandchildren bought material at JoAnne's and I made quilts with it, but never again, back to a quality quilt shop for me. - J
Old 12-09-2011, 07:02 AM

When I started quilting, I bought all my fabric at Walmart. I made all 3 of my grandbabies a crib sized quilt. They have been washed, dragged. They not a thing wrong with them. I am also on soc.security. I look around for good deals. I buy what I can afford. I buy mostly on line now. Fabric.com for example. Im not looking to make something a quilt show. I am making my quilts with love for family members.
Old 12-09-2011, 07:04 AM

Well I work at Joanns part time and I must say they have a wonderful quilting section. some of the solid like are not the best unless you get quilters solids or kona, they are good. I don't use Walmart fabric but Joanns is fine. Just look at the quilting section and use the coupons for sure. It may not be up to the quilt shop standards but not everyone can affort 10 to 12 dollars per yard. We have a huge Quilt guild in Waco and they shop at Joanns. So that says something. When you go in the door your should see a paper with a 40 % coupon and sign up for the mailers they send really good coupons and go on line to get coupons. If you are a teacher you can get an additional 15 off by signing up.
have a wonderful day and happy quilting.
Dawn in Waco Tx
Old 12-09-2011, 07:12 AM

Wink JoAnn's Fabric

Had to respond as well...

Obviously we all know that quilt shops have superior fabric. I personally always try to purchase something when I visit any LQS, even if it's only a fat quarter. I love the small quilt shops - we need to keep them in business.

I work at Hancock Fabrics (not quite qualified to work for a LQS I feel) and quite often I hear customers say that they feel JF's fabric is inferior. Even before I worked for HF, I always thought Hancock had an overall higher grade of fabric. That's not to say that they have their cheap stuff. They do. Look at the differences at what bolts the fabrics are placed on. JF and Wal-Mart have the sort of "crummy" bolts. Hancock and the LQS have the regular looking bolts.

Just my opinion. Have a good day everyone!
Old 12-09-2011, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by cassiemae View Post
I have noticed Joann's fabric seems to be getting worse and the price is getting higher.

That is my opinion
I agree. I haven't been quilting for very long and didn't really know much about fabrics. I began shopping at Joann's when I first started sewing about a year ago. I began noticing changes in the prices and quality of the fabrics and have stopped purchasing from them. I can't afford to buy fabric from the quilt shops and have been purchasing from fabrics.com and connecting threads. I like their fabrics and prices much better.
Old 12-09-2011, 07:28 AM

I have never had a problem with any fabric I have bought at Joann's. I agree with the member who said you need to know your fabric. Feel the stuff, if it's thin or feels inferior, don't get it....but don't base judgement of all their fabric on one or two bolts. That said, if you buy at WalMart (and I have also found great fabric there) make sure you read the end of the bolt. Instead of "100% cotton" I have seen, "fabric of undetermined origin" My mom had a bad experience when she bought some inexpensive Walmart fabric for curtains; it shrunk, changed colors, generally disintegrated in the wash.