Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have you heard that JoAnn's fabric is poorer quality? >

Have you heard that JoAnn's fabric is poorer quality?

Have you heard that JoAnn's fabric is poorer quality?

Old 12-09-2011, 10:07 AM

I've noticed that quality for "quilt" fabric is not as good as it is at a LQS. Plus, the prices at JA are getting almost as high. If I'm making a quilt or something to give away, along with other things I buy in LQS, but I have bought fabric at JAs only if I'm making a wall hanging. I also bought there for pillow cases that I give to my GC. My LQS has such wonderful owners & employees that I don't mind giving them my business!
Old 12-09-2011, 10:40 AM

I agree if I can fined what I need in Hobby Lobby I will buy it from there instead of JoAnns' the fabric is heaver than JoAnns' and the fabric is cheapier they will not give you the cardboard bolt it came on their brand names are the same as JoAnns' but cost less JoAnns' has more patterns
Old 12-09-2011, 02:43 PM

Wal-Mart and JoAnn's both have good and cheaper fabric, you have to check the fabric before buying. I
have been taken a couple of times buying fabric on-line from two big name mfg., so I really like to see and feel the fabric I buy.
Old 12-09-2011, 05:30 PM

I bought some Christmas fabric from Joann's in Nov. I find it of good quality. The colors were vibrant. Over 20 + yrs ago I bought fabric from Joann's also, for my first full sized quilt....It was has held up remarkably well. I've been well pleased with the fabric as well. The quilt is showing its "age".....much more than myself. : )
Old 12-09-2011, 05:34 PM

Some of Joanne's is thinner but then they have other fabric that is ok. I would think because it is a little cheaper to buy than the QS that there is a difference. Depends on what I'm making where I buy. Sue
Old 12-09-2011, 06:13 PM

LQS's carry only the best...Walmart & Joann's, etc...they carry several types of fabrics...and the quality can vary. You have to feel the fabric and test it when buying anywhere. I take a small handkerchief (white cloth) when I go to buy fabric at any shop/store. I rub the dark fabrics against the white hanky/fabric...does it fade a lot? Is it stiff? Thin? I have gotten some nice fabrics at Walmart & Joann fabrics.... I've also gotten some not so great stuff from quilt shops.

Here in Lubbock, TX...Rachael's has wonderful fabric, though it's twice the price of Walmart's better fabrics...I have only bought at Rachael's a couple of times (fabric).

The best thing to do is go and look at what Joann's and Walmart have...see if it's what you need and what the quality is.

Originally Posted by Gayle8675309 View Post
I was taught by a few quilting friends to never buy fabric from JoAnn's or WalMart for quilting. They say that JoAnn's and WalMart buy "second and third runs" from the manufacturers, therefore the cotton is of poorer quality...lower thread count and less printing quality.

So I've never purchased fabric from anywhere but quilt shops. But I see that a lot of you purchase fabric at the discount stores.

Have you ever noticed a difference between quilt store fabric and discount store fabric? Thanks.
Old 12-09-2011, 07:19 PM

Default Fabrics

I never buy from Jo anns because I once made 6 place mats that I machine appliqued different flowers and leaves.Some fabrics were Jo Anns and some were from my local quilt store.At the time I was not doing a test but what a test it proved to be, the Jo ann fabric lost its color and looked muddy, any print was so faded it was sad and my binding was cracking . The quilt store fabric was still true to color with good design in the print and holding up. Jo Ann I would never use for anything I have Hours of work in and buying on all the web sites with the sales keeps me with quality fabric.I never pay more than 7 dollars a yard for batiks and 4 or 5 for prints because I shop the web specials.
Old 12-09-2011, 07:46 PM

I think JoAnn's fabrics was better quality years ago. I haven't bought any there for 5-6 years. Once you start buying LQS/name brand fabrics you will never go back. I don't feel this is being a fabric snob...the brand name fabric is easier to work with, doesn't shrink and ravel nearly as much, and has better depth in color and pattern, and feels nicer too! Try this: buy a couple JoAnn's FQ's, and a couple from a LQS. Make the same block out of each set and you will DEFINITELY feel/tell the difference...I guarantee it.

Last edited by quiltingnonie; 12-09-2011 at 07:49 PM.
Old 12-09-2011, 07:55 PM

I am a newbies newbie. I have only made one quilt and that was 17 years ago. A baby quilt for my grandson. I just asked my daughter how it is holding up as she is using it again. She told me it's holding up great, wearing like iron. I think I either purchased the fabric from walmart or kmart. I had no ideal of what I was doing as far as picking out fabric. I guess all places carry all different levels of fabric, but that is just a guess. I think in general that the quality of every thing has gone down. Less for more money. I am starting to quilt again. I found a pattern that I like to make my new grandson a quilt. I'll post a pic when it's done. Hope I get lucky the second time around with the material.
Old 12-10-2011, 03:30 AM

I always read through everyone's response when this subject comes up. I don't live close to a LQS nor a Hobby Lobby, so when I started quilting 10 years or so ago, it was JAFs. Their quality and prices were great, but I didn't sew enough to really recognize quality. Then, WalMart started carrying fabric, and I bought lots of the $1 a yard stuff 5 years or so ago. When, I really began to look, most of that was so thin, it could be used only as a back for string quilting. So, I got rid of all of that, and moved up to their $2 per yard fabric. Most of it was AF Nathan, made in the USA, and it was wonderful fabric. I personally don't think the quality has to do with where you buy fabric as much as it does with where it's made and the thread count. The last few times I've gone to JAFs I've looked, but all the bolts that I pulled was made in China and very thin, so I didn't buy. I'm sure there are some that is not as thin, it was just the ones that I looked at. I found almost the same at WalMart, although actually I think they buy a lot of fabric that is a couple of years old, and the age makes it a little better quality. I had read about a year ago that one of the major fabric manufacturers (not sure which one) had reduced their thread count to the point that they had complaints, so had upped them again. I also discovered EBay about 3 years ago and built my stash up tremendously, and I'm so glad I did. I would hate to have to purchase lots of fabric today with the quality thats out there. I'm very satisfied with what I have and I still buy some special lines like the Paper Dolls fabric, and I always look at thrift stores. I do have one place (I don't think she qualifies as a LQS), who buys mostly bolts from LQSs that have gone out of business (she goes quite a distance to get a truck load) and I buy from her a couple of times a year. Bottom line for me, I think the older fabric is all better quality that what we buy today. And, if it's stored properly, it will be in great condition! Happy quilting!

Joyce