Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have you heard that JoAnn's fabric is poorer quality? >

Have you heard that JoAnn's fabric is poorer quality?

Have you heard that JoAnn's fabric is poorer quality?

Old 12-10-2011, 03:47 AM

I must have been really lucky. Over 30 years ago, I made my to DD's and my sister quilts with fabric from Wal-Mart. These quilts have been used, washed, and reused over and over and they are still as bright and beautiful. I have had to do repairs on all three quilts because of the use and the quilts just keep on living and being loved. I think it is silly to just buy quilt store fabrics (if you can afford it though, go for it) when there are plenty of places to buy fabric. Get to know your materials and buy wherever you can get the best price. Sometimes I think quilt store owners start these rumors as I have seen the same fabric at JoAnns or Hancocks that I have seen at the LQS for $1-2 dollars more, same feel, same everything.
Old 12-10-2011, 04:38 AM

As with buying any product, you get what you pay for (normally). I am not a "fabric snob", but the quality of the fabric at Joann's varies from excellent to very poor. My budget is tight, so I shop frugally and buy from both the lqs and Joann's. I check the "feel" and "drape" on the fabric in both stores. It seems lately that the poor quality fabric has been starched to make it feel thicker, so if the fabric doesn't "drape" well, I do not buy it. It is showing up in the lqs fabric too, the poorer quality fabric. I bought lots of flannel yardage from Joann's online on the black friday sale, and the quality went from excellent to poor, a couple of pieces didn't even fell like flannel!!! This is my first time buying fabric from Joann's online, don't think that I will do it again.
Old 12-10-2011, 05:07 AM

I think this will continue to be an issue as it seems everything is getting cheaper...the bread that I have been buying for years appears to me to have shrunk by at least two inches in lenght.
Seems the last time this subject came up there was issues with Moda...we just have to be savvy shoppers. If the big brands start losing quality we all need to stop buying and live off our stash...our only voice is in our wallet.
Old 12-10-2011, 05:26 AM

So far the fabric I've purchased from JA's & WM has been fine. I purchased 3 yds. from a LQS, only to get it home and find a 8-10 inch "splotch" on the inside fold. Very hard to work around. IMHO it doesn't really matter where you purchase your fabric....as long as it isn't see-thru, and it will suit your needs.
Old 12-10-2011, 06:09 AM

Default Fabric

We all want the best in life in all areas. The fact is we are all on different levels or stages. Buy the best you can afford and enjoy it.

I love reading about the deals people get at Joann’s, Wal-Mart, and garage sales. I love seeing the completed quilts and wish I could do as well.

I took a class two years ago at a quilt store and spend $100 on the fabric. The class cost another $100. I am not good with colors, so I thought the lady at the store could help with that. Wrong! I have finished my quilt but would never post it as the COLORS are bad. I hung it up and admire my mistakes.

I did learn most of all from the class not to be afraid of other quilting ladies.

My daughter does joke with me about it and says I have the best binding. I did do a great job on the binding.
Old 12-10-2011, 06:12 AM

I think it is all relative. There is some bad stuff at JoAnn and Walmart but I have also seen exactly the same fabric as a a quilt store. You got to feel it; pull it; look through it, etc. Sometimes you just can't afford that quilt shop fabric because some of it is rediculous
Old 12-10-2011, 06:14 AM

I can't say that I never use JoAnn's but I never use it for qilts or Totes that I intend to sell. I want my items to stand up. However, I use it for small craft items that do not require laundry.
Old 12-10-2011, 06:27 AM

Most of my business is at my LQS. I go to JoAnn for supplies as you can't beat their prices and coupons. Sometimes I buy fabric for pillowcases for the grandkids and small projects. If Im doing a quilt, especially for a gift, I spend the extra money for Moda etc. One shop I frequent has a sale corner with wonderful bargains. Lots of nice stuff for 4 to 5 dollars a yard, how can you go wrong?
Old 12-10-2011, 06:28 AM

It is true that many of the cotton fabrics sold at big box stores are inferior in quality although at first glance, they may "look" just like fabrics at your local quilt shop because they are often printed with some of the same designs. Don't be fooled! Of course, it depends on how you plan to use the fabric but if you are planning to put a lot of time into making a quilt as well as pay to have it machine quilted, it is advisable to use the best quality fabrics you can buy. If you plan to make crafts to sell at a fair, by their very nature, crafts are not intended to last as long as a quilt that is well-preserved.

Poor quality fabrics feel stiff to the touch because of the number of chemicals that have been added to give them more body. When washed, the fabric may revert to a very limp state. Often, poor fabrics have low thread count or are poorly woven and have snags. Some will fade more easily than others. Some will run when put in water, like there is no tomorrow!

The old saying is "You get what you pay for." In this case, it is true but not always. One of my favorite places to shop is at the Marden's stores in the state of Maine. The store buys first quality cotton on bolts from quilt shops that are going out of business and want to liquidate their entire inventory quickly. The prices are ridiculously low, far lower than even Walmart or JoAnn Fabrics, yet the quality is great.

For hand quilting, I love Northcott brand fabrics because they have such a nice weight and "feel." No, I don't work for them nor am I being paid to state this fact. Some designer brands I stay away from just because they notoriously fade and/or run and I've had bad experiences.

These days, I am making smaller quilts due to constraints of time so it is a lot easier to buy the best quality I can find. I don't want to waste my time with something that is going to look crummy just a short time later, or not stand up to use, if I give it for a gift. Not a quilt snob, but just hate to see "waste" - of any kind, including my own time.

Pat
Old 12-10-2011, 06:33 AM

I was told once buy a shop owner the main difference in the Quilt shop fabric is the amount of inks used in the processing. You see the dots in the salvage showing the colors used. Sometimes the J & Walmart fabrics will have the same fabrics as the LQS but the amount of color used is less. If you check the dots sometimes it is missing a color run or two compared to the LQS fabric.