Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have You Joined An On Line Quilting Group ? >

Have You Joined An On Line Quilting Group ?

Have You Joined An On Line Quilting Group ?

Old 11-15-2010, 09:50 AM

Like everything, I'm sure all on line quilting groups are different.You ask if anyone wants to join to make a quilt you've chosen.Everyone chooses the color, fabric & size for their quilt.Together, they usually pick an ending date, 6mos or 1 yr is common.It's fun to see all the diff colors/fabrics used when members start sending pics.

Anyone else know more details???

Originally Posted by Momma_K
OK call me stupid but what is an online quilt group? Hey I don't get out much! :roll:
Old 11-15-2010, 09:57 AM

I"m stupid too.... when I saw the title of the post.. I was gonna answer... " I thought THIS SITE was aonline quilting site" boy, I"m glad I didnt open my big mouth and look even stupider.....

Thanks for the info....where do u find these online quilt groups?
Old 11-15-2010, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by bluteddi
I"m stupid too.... when I saw the title of the post.. I was gonna answer... " I thought THIS SITE was aonline quilting site" boy, I"m glad I didnt open my big mouth and look even stupider.....

Right here, on this board, in the group activities section. There are blocks of the month that people do together online and just share pictures. there is the Farmers Wife quilt-along group. There are blocks of the week. True, some things are swaps, but take a good look, I'm sure you'll find many activities and some aren't swaps.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:04 AM

The one I was in was on a quilt board,where someone just asked if there was any interest in making that quilt.I was & joined.Prob had 20 or so total.

Old 11-15-2010, 11:56 AM

Boy I'm glad I asked! I just love the answers and even more, I'm glad I'm not the only one that is..shall we say.."not so knowledgable" on this craft. I love it though! HI Everybody!! :mrgreen:
Old 11-15-2010, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by bluteddi

:D You made me laugh! Also like your avitar!! Cute! :P
Old 11-15-2010, 12:30 PM

I have participated in a couple of online "quilt-alongs" where there was a tutorial for a particular block or phase of the quilt process and a set amount of time- usually about 2 weeks. Everyone participating posted pics of their progress on a flickr group. It was a lot of fun and encouraging too- to see all the variations of the "same" quilt.
I was able to do my first FMQ on a whole quilt this way.
That group was sponsored by Old Red Barn blog-they are taking a break right now until January when they will start a new scrappy quilt along.
Bonnie Hunter at Quiltville.com is also starting a scrappy mystery quilt this Friday with directions posted every week or so. I am looking forward to doing this one.There is a Yahoo group to follow this mystery.
But some of the best ones are right here on the board-more are block swaps, but the tutorials are like an online quilting group as those following along post their progress. Since quilting is often a very solitary hobby, this is a fun way to socialize without having to go out! Works for me!
Old 11-15-2010, 03:10 PM

Ive been in an online group for many years,,,,,,,,we've done many swaps, ugly fabric challenges, secret sister xmas swaps, all sorts of things......... and we've even gotten together for quilt retreats. Its great and now that most of us have met in person, its like an extended family.
I tried to post the link in case anyone wants to join in , but it wont post! so send me a message ifyou want the link. You might just want to jump in on all the fun!
Diane
Old 11-15-2010, 03:24 PM

why cant I post the link to the online group? am I doing something wrong??? help!
Old 11-15-2010, 03:25 PM

Never heard of an online group. Anyone interested in getting one going? This is the only quilt forum I am on.