Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Have you made a gadget cushion and if so what filling did you use?

Question Have you made a gadget cushion and if so what filling did you use?

This is the first time I have sewn a pattern printed on fusible inter-facing. The quilt store sold the pattern that directed you to this link for a video on how to make it.

https://www.quiltsmart.com/shop/c/p/...-x37082540.htm

My question is : What is your preference when filling the cushion?

I used crushed walnut shells because I am using it for a pincushion. I dislike the smell of the shells. The next one I make, I would like to try a different filling that smells better as I am going to use the gadget cushion as a cell phone rest.

Thank you for your ideas!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Power Poster
    ​I have not made one but I would use polypropylene beads.

I grow lavender and add that to the shells prior to filling the cushion. You could also use essential oils mixed with the shells prior to filling. Just make sure the shells are dry before you add to cushion.

Blog Entries
    i made one and used polyfil. it was a little too 'puffy' but still worked for the purpose.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T – is it True? H – is it Helpful? I – is it Inspiring? N – is it Necessary? K – is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

I've made one for cell phones and GPS holder. I used rice. Not the 5 minute rice. But I also used leather instead of fabric.

rice forme.

I've made several of these and use mine every day. I used the polypropylene beads in the bottom section and polyfil in the back section. I love mine.

I used a mixture of rice on the bottom, but filled the top part of the main cushion with polyfil. I’ve only done one, but that was what the video I watched said and I really like mine.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for posting this thread. I have not seen these and I think they are super and would make great Christmas gifts. BrendaK
    Be kind to yourself, by being kind to others. When you help others you help yourself.

Blog Entries
    I made a mini tuffet, and the bottom I used a cylindrical piece of foam covered with muslin, then I topped it with steel wool. It works well for using as a pincushion, and I had steel wool on hand, not walnut shells.

The walnut shells I bought at the quilt shop smelled like lavender.

I made a bunch of these a few years ago. I put some poly beads in a small bag i threw together and put it in the bottom then stuffed the rest of it with polyfil. I did the little piece on the front with the poly beads too.

Thank you everybody for your input. I made a second one and tried the polypropylene (plastic) filler this time vs the walnut shells. I added the poly fluff as well to the top pointed section so the point didn't flop over when I placed my scissors. I will try the walnut shells again and add a scent..thanks for the many wonderful tips you all have posted!

I have not tried these so of course I just ordered the pattern. I also ordered lavender scented crushed walnut shells from Amazon. Copycat, thanks for sharing this.

Quote Originally Posted by rjwilder View Post
    I have not tried these so of course I just ordered the pattern. I also ordered lavender scented crushed walnut shells from Amazon. Copycat, thanks for sharing this.
    You are most welcome! Enjoy making these versatile cushions that use just a 10" square. Amazing to me!

I made over 20 of these last year for Xmas presents. Filled them about 90% with walnut shells and added more filling of poly fill to fill out the top corner where it is hard to fill with the shells. I loved them and have had reports that other people have taken them to use. One man asked for a second one. I love it. One of my favorite presents because it is easy and has to many uses. Now I need to make one for me and one for hubby.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
    I made over 20 of these last year for Xmas presents. Filled them about 90% with walnut shells and added more filling of poly fill to fill out the top corner where it is hard to fill with the shells. I loved them and have had reports that other people have taken them to use. One man asked for a second one. I love it. One of my favorite presents because it is easy and has to many uses. Now I need to make one for me and one for hubby.
    Wow you have become an expert at these gadget cushions for sure. What pattern do you use? I have seen various ways to make the gadget cushions. I have only tried the fusible pattern that you follow the lines to sew and complete.
    My first cushion had a floppy top, so I love your tip to use poly-fuff in the corners to fill them up. Thanks for sharing.

Blog Entries
    My grandson made several little ceramic handle less cups with sq plates that I plan on hot gluing the two pieces together after I make a pincushion top out of different colored fabric
    He also made me a bird house looks like a fire hydrant he said plus mama n papa birds

Here's the instructions I used. I love listening to Laura's voice!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWOZ0jo25YM

Quote Originally Posted by betthequilter View Post
    Here's the instructions I used. I love listening to Laura's voice!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWOZ0jo25YM
    Thank you Beth! It is nice to have options on making these without the fusible pattern based on what size fabrics we have on hand. I will have to try Laura's Phone Pillow as well.

As cellphones change in size, the first phone cushion I made is a tad too small for my current larger, heavier cellphone. It still works, but not as "nice" a fit as it was for the first phone. In making a phone cushion, you might want to consider that.

Quote Originally Posted by betthequilter View Post
    As cellphones change in size, the first phone cushion I made is a tad too small for my current larger, heavier cellphone. It still works, but not as "nice" a fit as it was for the first phone. In making a phone cushion, you might want to consider that.
    Oh My, that is a good point to increase the size of the pattern pieces to fit the larger phones. You could try placing your phone horizontal if need be. Thanks for the tip!