Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have you repaired old antique quilts? I need your help! Thanks Everyone >

Have you repaired old antique quilts? I need your help! Thanks Everyone

Have you repaired old antique quilts? I need your help! Thanks Everyone

Old 07-22-2011, 03:35 PM

I can't wait to see the pictures!! I adore vintage quilts.
Old 07-22-2011, 04:24 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by ptquilts
the part about sewing tulle over damaged parts is for museum quality quilts, I think.
Yes, and this isn't tulle as we see it at Joanne's; it's crepeline which is a loosely woven, 100% silk organdy imported from France. It's expensive, of course. That's why very fine tulle has come to be used for less valuable, more family/loved/less rare quilts.

There are books written about quilt restoration; perhaps one would be helpful if you really want to do a thorough job on these three quilts.

Jan in VA
Old 07-22-2011, 04:48 PM

Hey Crafty, I turned 54 in May!!

First, my disclaimer: If you alter a vintage quilt in any way (including, but not limited to, sewing or replacing parts), you remove any monetary value of the quilt and it is no longer considered a vintage quilt -- it is considered to be the age of your work and materials (including but not limited to thread, fabric, tulle, and batting) added!!!

Now that that's said... and assuming that you want these wonderful quilts repaired for a keepsake and so you can use them and love them...I have had great results doing the following: First, I repair the quilt top as best I can. I re-sew seams, replace pieces, darn over holes and badly worn pieces. Next, I treat the old quilt as a "quilt top". I prepare a new back, use new batting and the old quilt is the top layer. Then I quilt it on my longarm using a meandering or wandering pattern (so I have control and can "fix" spots I may have missed earlier and the close stitching strengthens the quilt). Finally, I add a new binding!!!

My daughter lives in Indy. If I can help you with any of this....let me know!

I can't wait to see your pictures!!!
Old 07-22-2011, 06:35 PM
Google Goddess

thanks

you should come and visit your daughter in Indianapolis on July 29 and July 30th as

27 quilt shops under 1 roof on US 31 in Kokomo, Indiana

also on July 30th, I am having my 4th meet and greet

after the shop hop

Originally Posted by OneMoreQuilt
Hey Crafty, I turned 54 in May!!

First, my disclaimer: If you alter a vintage quilt in any way (including, but not limited to, sewing or replacing parts), you remove any monetary value of the quilt and it is no longer considered a vintage quilt -- it is considered to be the age of your work and materials (including but not limited to thread, fabric, tulle, and batting) added!!!

Now that that's said... and assuming that you want these wonderful quilts repaired for a keepsake and so you can use them and love them...I have had great results doing the following: First, I repair the quilt top as best I can. I re-sew seams, replace pieces, darn over holes and badly worn pieces. Next, I treat the old quilt as a "quilt top". I prepare a new back, use new batting and the old quilt is the top layer. Then I quilt it on my longarm using a meandering or wandering pattern (so I have control and can "fix" spots I may have missed earlier and the close stitching strengthens the quilt). Finally, I add a new binding!!!

My daughter lives in Indy. If I can help you with any of this....let me know!

I can't wait to see your pictures!!!
Old 07-22-2011, 09:50 PM

This isn't what you asked, but I cut up a vintage quilt handmade by my grandmother especially for me. It gave new meaning to the phrase, 'The first cut is the hardest.' I am framing part of it for me and for any of my children who want one. Grandma was so happy I used it that she replaced it, so I do have one made by her.
Old 07-23-2011, 03:46 AM

I repaired a quilt for a friend, with some trepidation as it was totally hand-sewn and quilted. Three blocks and one square in the border had to be replaced. It was easy to sew a square over the one in the border but the blocks used the same light fabric consistently across the quilt and I didn't want to re-make the whole thing. I had to take the blocks apart, re-make them using the old light squares and sew them into place; not half as easy as it sounds. Also, as perfect as a quilt may look, all quilters fudge a bit to get things to fit and one has to deal with that, as well as the effects of age, shrinkage etc. I used fabric I had which seemed to fit by color, washed it first. I still worry that the new fabric could cause more deterioration but that is happening elsewhere in the quilt anyway. At least it is now usable, my friend was pleased and I enjoyed communicating with my friend's great-grandmother through her quilt.
Old 07-23-2011, 03:53 AM

My grandmother's flower garden quilt was breaking down on the binding so I just simply covered the binding with new binding. I fully understand your dilima. I also have another quilt my grandmother made that is almost in shreds. I cannot bear to get rid of it.
Old 07-23-2011, 04:03 AM

If you are going to repair for use, be sure that the fabrics are similar in tone to what was used----the fading is easier to match from old clothing---and I do have quite a lot of pieces for repairing if I knew what you needed.
Old 07-23-2011, 04:17 AM
Banned

contact me when you decide what needs to be done.
There are two sources for repairing old quilts. One by Ccmmile Coniac (believe that is the spelling). and the other which is eally a pamphlet is by Nancy Kirk.
The coniac book is out of print but might be able to find it on ebay or Amazon.
Old 07-23-2011, 04:19 AM
Banned

i googled "repairing old quilts" and got some interesting info