Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have you repaired old antique quilts? I need your help! Thanks Everyone >

Have you repaired old antique quilts? I need your help! Thanks Everyone

Have you repaired old antique quilts? I need your help! Thanks Everyone

Old 07-23-2011, 04:46 AM

I repaired an old quilt a couple of years ago and to match the fabric in the quilt, I put a section of the quilt on my scanner and scanned it. Then I croped out the section that I wanted to print and printed out my repair fabric on muslin printer sheets. Worked like a charm. This was better, I thought than having different colored pieces in the quilt. The quilt was only a family keepsake and not considered historical significient.
Old 07-23-2011, 05:31 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by craftybear
thanks

you should come and visit your daughter in Indianapolis on July 29 and July 30th as

27 quilt shops under 1 roof on US 31 in Kokomo, Indiana

also on July 30th, I am having my 4th meet and greet

after the shop hop

Originally Posted by OneMoreQuilt
Hey Crafty, I turned 54 in May!!

First, my disclaimer: If you alter a vintage quilt in any way (including, but not limited to, sewing or replacing parts), you remove any monetary value of the quilt and it is no longer considered a vintage quilt -- it is considered to be the age of your work and materials (including but not limited to thread, fabric, tulle, and batting) added!!!

Now that that's said... and assuming that you want these wonderful quilts repaired for a keepsake and so you can use them and love them...I have had great results doing the following: First, I repair the quilt top as best I can. I re-sew seams, replace pieces, darn over holes and badly worn pieces. Next, I treat the old quilt as a "quilt top". I prepare a new back, use new batting and the old quilt is the top layer. Then I quilt it on my longarm using a meandering or wandering pattern (so I have control and can "fix" spots I may have missed earlier and the close stitching strengthens the quilt). Finally, I add a new binding!!!

My daughter lives in Indy. If I can help you with any of this....let me know!

I can't wait to see your pictures!!!
well dang...apparently we should ALL be in INDY that weekend...
Old 07-23-2011, 07:26 AM

I'm curious as to how to do this so will be watcing....
Old 07-23-2011, 07:26 AM

Hi craftybear, I have two vintage quilts made by both of my great grandmothers. I am the only quilter left in our family, so my aunt gave me the quilts. They were both is sad shape, and I agonized about what to do with them. I finally decided that the value in them was not monitary or for show, the value was because my greatgrandmothers had made them. I decided that I wanted to be able to display them and enjoy. The first one was made by my paternal great grandmother, it is a dresden plate. It was in the best shape. It was real dirty and even had some blood on it!! (I think it was used for a picnic quilt) The binding was totally trashed and the final sashing border was frayed. Some of the places were a little bit frayed. First I decided to wash it. It washed up beautifully. Then I replaced the sashing and rebound it. It is now on the back of my couch looking beautiful!!! I think it was made i the 30's.

The second one as a label on the back embrordered, to my great grandfather made in 1898. It is a drunkard path. It is in real bad shape. There are holes in it. Thats the main problem. So I have appliqued new pieces over the holy frayed blocks, it is made with white and indigo blu fabric. I am not done with that one yet. I am going to cut the frayed edges of the missing areas and replace with new appliqued blocks. its all hand quilted so then I will quilt when I am done. It is a beautiful quilt and I think I can bring it back to its glory!! (my aunt thought the dog had made the holes,) I know I have been rambeling, but I just love the old quilts expecially if you have some family history to go along with them. What ever you decide to do enjoy your quilts. Darcey
Old 07-23-2011, 07:49 AM

Thanks for all this info. I have some vintage quilts and plan on keeping all of them even though some have some places that need "help". One of them was made by my grandmother and is quite a bit older than I am and I am 71 yrs. old. My daughter will some day inherit these quilts.
Old 07-23-2011, 07:53 AM

When is it OK to toss an old quilt? I can understand some being considered family heirlooms, but what of those that we make to be used while being cherished and loved? Does those grandkids' "blankies" get repaired over and over again until they no longer look like the original quilt? I'm hoping my quilts get used and get tossed when there are more holes than whole pieces! Just my thoughts . . . .
Old 07-23-2011, 07:55 AM

I have collected my Grandmothers quilts from family members. Just tops is what they gave me, some of them needed repair. I asked for scraps on the board and I used them to fix the quilts. It worked out fine. They blended in and I don't know if they are vintage or not, but it is just fine with me and looks good.
Old 07-23-2011, 08:03 AM
Power Poster

I have repaired a quilt (not an antique) by taking some pieces out and resewing the seams by machine. It was treasured because her mother had made it in the 70-80? before she died. If you are not planning to go to the Antiques Roadshow but just want them nice for future display, find fabrics that will match and sew them in. I have found that many a modern calico will look good if you use it WRONG SIDE OUT. For background white or cream, sometimes a gently tea dyeing will be appropriate. Wash well before using to make sure the dye is stable.
Old 07-23-2011, 08:04 AM

Please note that quilts are "antique" when they are 50 years old. All fabric art 50 years or more is antique! I do love these old beauties!
Old 07-23-2011, 08:48 AM

My sister repaired one of our grandmother's years ago. It was ratty around the edges so she cut the ragged parts off to get a new square and then used what good material was available from the cut-off parts to applique over the places within the new square that needed repair. Kept the fabric correct for the period and all the same age.