Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have you tried the Slidelock? >

Have you tried the Slidelock?

Have you tried the Slidelock?

Old 08-09-2015, 06:44 AM

Oh, that's a good idea Prism99! Just wish you'd posted it one day sooner as I cut several thousand 1 1/2" strips yesterday with my June Taylor - and there was my Slidelock sitting right there! Oh, well, 100 black strips still to cut today!

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
I love mine. Use it on top of my June Taylor mat to cut strips. It is the best thing I have found for keeping that mat from slipping. I agree it's not great on its own. Like the tip about using it on top of a ruler; will try that.
Old 08-09-2015, 07:03 AM

when I first started quilting I measured the fabric I wanted to cut from the left hand side of the fabric. I am right handed. My first cut was started against the ruler then veered off the ruler and ruined almost half of the fabric I had. Obviously there was a problem. After that fiasco I turned my fabric around....cut from the right side of the fabric. After squaring the end of the fabric, I measure over the amount I want to cut. Eg. a 3.5" strip. I use the ruler to measure then put the slide loc next to the ruler....remove ruler and cut. Works GREAT!! Before the side loc I had always used 2 rulers......just worked for me.

I would not feel safe putting the slide-loc on top of another ruler.
Old 08-09-2015, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by nstitches4u View Post
I would think you would lose the gripping ability of the Slidelock if you use it on top of a ruler. Doesn't the ruler slip just as much as using the ruler alone?

Here is a video demonstrating the Slidelock: http://quiltersslidelock.com/
This video is a great demo....and what I have always used.

If you are having trouble using this I would suggest that you LOWER the height of the table you are using the slide-loc with. I would think you are not above it to apply proper pressure.
Old 08-09-2015, 07:13 AM

I have both sizes and love them, I use them all the time and will not cut without them. Make sure you read the direction sand use them correctly. You DO NOT use them on top of your ruler, you line up the ruler on the fabric to the correct size you want to cut, slide the slide lock tightly next to it and then remove the ruler.
Old 08-09-2015, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
Sounds to me like we need a video on how these work and the best way to use them. People are using them differently, and maybe either way is correct? ? ? ?
there is video on their website
Old 08-09-2015, 07:21 AM

My friend bought these and I was skeptical and didn't buy them. I borrow one of hers and fell in love with it. She bought them at a show and got a good price. I'll be buying them at the next quilting show. I put my ruler with the markings up against the slide lock and it worked great. Now, I'm used to the fact there are no lines on the sidelock and feel comfortable with using the markings on my cutting mat. It did take some getting used to.
Old 08-09-2015, 07:49 AM

This sure looks like a great product. I went to their website and saw that they will be at the Houston show in October. They are definitely on my list of things to look at. Thanks for posting about it.
Old 08-09-2015, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by feffertim View Post
there is video on their website
http://quiltersslidelock.com/
Old 08-09-2015, 08:31 AM

I have both and love them. Measure your fabric you wish to cut with a ruler, and then place the slidelock next to it, remove the ruler and cut. It makes it very accurate and does not slip.
Old 08-09-2015, 08:35 AM
Power Poster

You DO NOT use them on top of your ruler, you line up the ruler on the fabric to the correct size you want to cut, slide the slide lock tightly next to it and then remove the ruler.
That is the original purpose of the Slidelock to be on top of your ruler. Not on the cutting edge of the ruler but to hold your ruler in place. It use to be called RULE STEADY. I have one of the first ones from Australia and one of the newer ones. They are both exactly alike.