Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Heard something interesting about our JoAnn today! >

Heard something interesting about our JoAnn today!

Heard something interesting about our JoAnn today!

Old 03-08-2012, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by sylviak View Post
I went in to buy some backing fabric for a quilt I'm making and commented to one of the clerks that I wished they had a better variety of wide backings and she said they probably would after they moved! That got my attention! They are getting a NEW store in August in the new mall. It will be twice the size of the present one. Since we don't have a LQS anymore, that is great news! Our Walmarts have fabric, but most of it is poor quality. The only other place is Hobby Lobby. I don't do a lot of shopping on line anymore because of the high shipping costs. JoAnn will start their pre-moving sales in May and the last of the sales will be "bolts". They have to sell off all their stock before the move. I'm really going to be watching!
Fabric.com has top quality fabric & free shipping for orders over $35.00
Connectingthread.com - has free shipping for orders over $50.00 - always have stuff on sale
Old 03-08-2012, 10:48 AM

Good luck with the move and getting what you need. Our JoAnn's is moving down the block a couple of buildings in mid April. I was there a week ago to get some thread and the store, especially fabric, batting, etc is nearly bare. And they have not even started their inventory liquidation yet. Hope I have enough essentials to last the next 4-5 weeks. I think it is poor service to sell to the bare walls so far ahead when the shop is only moving a couple doors down. They my loose in customers what the save in moving costs.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:51 AM

our Joanns just opened a new store a couple months ago (moved from down the street) and it is loaded with more craft stuff than anything else, there choice of Batting is gone, they only sell warm and natural or white, the selection of fabric and quilting notions have gone down ,also it has lost its "personal and homey feeling" a lot of regulars have stopped going in to Joanns for this reason
Old 03-08-2012, 11:06 AM

I just received by order from Connecting Threads. They had 4 designs for backings at 104". I bought all 4 and are they beautiful. Price was good.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:36 PM

I go to a "super" JoAnn Fab, and it used to be good, but since the company has been bought out by another entity, I too notice a lot more "other stuff" being put on shelves and fabric section being squeezed a bit.....Sometimes I think these stores just try to be everything to everybody and loose something in the translation..........Way back when there used to be a store called So-Fro and it was mostly fabric and it was great....I think that was what JoAnn used to be because they so-fro disappeared and suddenly JoAnn was all over..........but it used to be JoAnn Fabrics now its JoAnn Crafts.............
Old 03-08-2012, 03:06 PM

Research MarshallDryGoods.com, they have wide backings.
good luck with the new Joanns
Old 03-08-2012, 03:13 PM

I shopped for backing at JoAnn's and passed on it. The print was a paisley which I love and also blue which I love and would have coordinated well with the quilt top, BUT it was soooo thin, I had to pass. So disappointed. I am still shopping elsewhere. I am hesitant to order on line as it may be thin also. Years ago fabric was sold with a weight in the description so a person could tell if it would be suitable for their purpose-not anymore sad to say.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:29 PM

sylviak,

Lucky you! I wish I lived close enough to get in on that sale.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:42 PM

Our Joann's moved to a bigger store this year. 3 times the space, same fabric. They are more concerned with competing with Michaels than selling fabric.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:17 PM

My closest Joann's "remodeled" their store after moving several years ago, the no longer have the selection of fabrics that they did, the store has become a crafters paradise, but not so great for we quilters and sewers, quite a dissapointment