Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Heard something interesting about our JoAnn today! >

Heard something interesting about our JoAnn today!

Heard something interesting about our JoAnn today!

Old 03-08-2012, 10:35 PM

One of the larger Joanns in my area just "reorganized" and definitely the crafting sections have taken over a lot of the fabric space. It seems they just compressed everything. My local does not have a good selection of wide backing fabric at all.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:50 PM

Many years ago when Cloth World changed to JoAnn's I had an opportunity to talk to a group of "suits" from the headquarters that came to our local "new" store. They asked me how I liked the conversion from Cloth World to JoAnn's and I told them I didn't. These men tried to tell me they had MORE fabric than before along with all of their crafts. I informed them that sewers and quilters want more fabric, not more craft junk. (At the time we had 5 craft stores in a two mile area!) Well, of course they didn't listen to me. So now we have Super stores in Houston. I don't see any increase in fabric, just more craft junk! But we are only the customers, so what do we matter?
Old 03-09-2012, 12:26 AM

Where is the New JoAnns in Okcity?

Originally Posted by mloquilts View Post
A beautiful big new JoAnns just opened in Oklahoma City. They do have a lot of stuff besides quilting but I'm quite impressed with the store & their fabric selection. And it seems their prices are pretty reasonable, too. I shopped there yesterday & found just what I was looking for. This store is a great improvement from their old location here. The sales are quite good this week.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:32 AM

They have a good shop at Antlers, OK Besty's Quilt Shop it is on Hiway 3 going to Ratan. It is at her home but she has two large builting. A big Sale coming up in April.

Originally Posted by ejudy View Post
I'm glad to hear Sherman will be getting a new store. That's where I shop when I get a chance to go any where. I didn't know OKC had a new store, I will have to look up the location the next time I'm up that way.
Old 03-09-2012, 01:20 AM

right now Hancocks of Paducah has free shipping. Thousands of bolts has $3.95 shipping a lot of the time.
Old 03-10-2012, 06:07 AM

Our Joanne's simply re-arranged the store in order to put in more scrapbooking supplies. I think they got a new manager too, because the fabrics are a mess, it is an hour wait at the cutting table and the clerks have no info on classes. Ben Franklin is much nicer, but their prices are twice as high. Sigh. I've learned to shop on line with good luck so far except it is hard to match fabric or gauge the size of the pattern.
Old 03-11-2012, 04:14 AM

About shipping costs, I scout around and watch for Free Shipping with so much of a purchase. Most of the time it's $20.00 or so. Or like Thousands of Bolts had a discounted shipping of $3.95 for a $20.00 (I think) purchase. I scarfed up on it, it's a heck of a lot cheaper than driving to any LQS or JoAnns. Hobby Lobby is still a good ways away and ALWAYS has the same ol stuff. Online you can find a wider selection....most of the time anyway.
Old 03-11-2012, 04:29 AM

I have to watch the fabric that I get at JoAnn's these days. The quality varies alot. I stopped at Hancocks this weekend and they do appear to have a higher quality selection of fabrics. I wish there were more of them,
Old 03-11-2012, 04:57 PM

I do ALOT of ordering online. And I use to think that shipping costs were high until I calculated that it takes me at LEAST 2 gallons of gas to go to town and home. And at $3.65 per gallon, that's over $7 in shipping and I can shop in my jammies at all hours of the day. I DO try to find free shipping when I can, but I'm getting to the point that when you take into consideration the gas and wear and tear on the vehicle, it does actually pay for itself!

Kat
Old 03-12-2012, 03:29 AM

I am glad to hear this news as I too go to JoAnns in Sherman. I live near Kingston so not to far from you. I will really start watching for the sales in May. Thanks for the info.

Originally Posted by sylviak View Post
This isn't in Oklahoma, it's in Sherman, TX. I live about 3 miles from the Red River and do most of my shopping in Denison and Sherman. I worked in Sherman for years. There is a LQS in Durant, OK, but it's 20 miles away and I don't go there very often. Texas is closer and they don't tax food, so I do my grocery shopping there.