Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Heat erasable pens >

Heat erasable pens

Heat erasable pens

Old 01-26-2024, 06:58 AM

I like the heat eraseable pens but I find the mark comes back white so I use it mostly only on the back side of my fabric where it doesn't matter or if it's on a seam, I'll mark it just a hair over into the seam allowance so it won't show up later.
Old 01-26-2024, 10:58 AM

All cottons are not created equal in thickness which can affect seam width.
Old 01-27-2024, 06:06 AM

I just bought some Madam Sew Heat Erasable Pens on Amazon and they are a game changer! I never tried this product before and I am in LOVE LOVE LOVE! They instantly disappear with the touch of an iron, but the marks are bold and easy to see until you need them. They are gel pens that mark very easily on your fabric, no tugging or dragging.

Just wish I had tried this sooner!
Old 01-27-2024, 06:19 AM

Donna, I would use those as I would the Frixion brand - with extreme caution. Although the thermo ink will dissipate, I suspect that, like the Frixion brand, there is a gel component that remains. Herra marker or painter's tape is all I am comfortable using on the front of any fabric that is not in a seam allowance.

Re Carol Doak's paper: Yes, it is the same as newsprint. I buy newsprint by the ream from Amazon. Always under $10, usually about $6. If I cannot get that when needed, I look at school writing paper (the kind of paper that primary children learn to write on). Even if it has blue lines on it, I can still use it. Both run through my printer with no issues.
Old 01-27-2024, 12:09 PM

Frixion pens specifically say Do Not Use on fabric. Reappearing lines may not be so much of an issue in warmer climes. However, if you have ever seen antique signature quilts where the ink has rotted the fabric, is this what we may experience in the future using Frixion pens? I am not a chemist, so I can't speak on the ink ingredients, but I would like to believe the people who signed the antique blocks thought their ink was safe. I am not going to chance it.

Just my thoughts...
Old 01-27-2024, 03:06 PM
Power Poster

I for one have no concern if the fabric in my quilts starts to rot away in fifty years. By then there will be a machine to scan and reproduce the exact product mistakes and all. Probably put my dna all over it too. LOL
Old 01-28-2024, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I for one have no concern if the fabric in my quilts starts to rot away in fifty years. By then there will be a machine to scan and reproduce the exact product mistakes and all. Probably put my dna all over it too. LOL
Hahahahahaha!!!🤣
BTW- my aunt made us a wedding quilt 20 + years ago and the fabric is breaking down. And she didn't use Frixion pens. And she has won blue ribbons for her work (including my quilt) so everything was done "by the book*
Old 01-29-2024, 01:34 PM

I have had the pleasure of buying several packages of Frixion pens this past year. They are now being offered in a multitude of colors, brights and darks alike. Yes, they Do erase by pressing the marks with an iron. It works like Magic! I got mine on Amazon. They are now my favorite go to for marking quilts before stitching. The only thing is they don’t come in White,, which is always needed when marking black or navy, or dark fabrics.
Old 01-30-2024, 03:22 AM

I have used the Frixon pens for marking quilting lines. I am careful to stitch right on the marked lines. When I can, I use a color ink to match the thread. When I'm done quilting over the lines, I use a Blow Dryer vs an iron to erase the ink. To me its better as I'm not stretching the fabric with an iron. So far I haven't had any lines reappear. It doesn't get very cold where I live.
Old 01-30-2024, 08:29 AM

Oh boy. Heat DOES NOT "erase" the ink, it simply makes it not visible to your eyes. Do a search here and look at how many people had "ghost" lines show up later that are impossible to remove, even with washing. Use at your own risk - especially since the manufacturer does not recommend.