Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Heat erasable pens >

Heat erasable pens

Heat erasable pens

Old 01-24-2024, 08:35 AM

Default Heat erasable pens

I bought a package of Frixion pens a few years ago at a school supply close-out. I am happy with the product. It is easy to see, marks on the first pass and irons away easily,

Pilot has changed the packaging on the pens, so I can't buy the "same looking" pen. Are all their pens "heat erasable"?

Does anyone know the answer to this question? I'm aware they don't advertise them as "heat erasable" and don't recommend them as such, but I like the results I get with this product.

bkay
Old 01-24-2024, 09:51 AM
Power Poster

Why not contact Pilot/Frixion and
ask if the new ones have the same qualities as the old?

I haven't bought any for awhile now, so am not familiar with the packaging changes.
There was confusion the last time, because they had different point widths available.
Old 01-24-2024, 10:38 AM

Pilot does not recommend the use of the frixion pens on fabric.
Old 01-24-2024, 06:39 PM

When l quilted with a group in Fla., many members used the Frixon pens. I guess in Fla., it's warm enough, but here in Canada, ( or if you're in northern USA, don't count on those marks staying " gone"! The ink is still present. A few hours in a cold car trunk while transporting, or displayed in a winter " sun room", and those black or purple marks are right back! I now use the blue ink water erase or purple ink " air erase" . I find l tsp. of baking soda mixed with l c tepid water in a spray bottle do a great job at getting rid of the blue water erase with no bleed.
Old 01-25-2024, 04:03 AM

Keep in mind that while one of the 2 ink components in these pens dissipates with heat (such as the friction of the eraser), the other component does not. The thermal ink may be gone, but the gel base remains. Many people, both quilters and cross stitchers, have used these and later found those ghost lines, which appear as either a faint brown line, a light white line, or what appears to be a grease mark, depending on the fabric they are used on.
Old 01-25-2024, 05:02 AM

I used a Crayola Washable marker on a quilt and the lines didn't come out....even after washing twice ans using Spray n Wash. I'm going to try the baking soda in tepid water. Will let you know about that experiment.
Old 01-25-2024, 07:12 AM
Power Poster

The last I bought said Frixon on the pen itself. I use them to mark cutting lines, darks, matching points, etc. I wouldn't use one to mark a quilting pattern. I don't see how it would hurt embroidery or cross stitch, the thread covers up the marks but I don't do enough of that to think about it
Old 01-25-2024, 07:13 AM

I'm in DFW, so having one of my quilts in freezing temperatures isn't much of an issue. We do have freezing temperatures occasionally, but not often enough to worry about. When it gets really cold (to us Texans), we mostly stay home until it warms up. It usually involves ice, so going anywhere isn't feasible, as the streets and freeways become "bumper car" boulevards. We don't have snow plows, etc.

Of course, if we have snow, the kids have to be out in it.

Thanks for your input.

bkay
Old 01-26-2024, 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by lindaschipper View Post
I used a Crayola Washable marker on a quilt and the lines didn't come out....even after washing twice ans using Spray n Wash. I'm going to try the baking soda in tepid water. Will let you know about that experiment.
I use these too. I've never had a problem with it washing out. I just use my regular washing machine detergent (Liquid Tide). It has always taken the marks all out of the fabric.
Old 01-26-2024, 04:52 AM

FYI Carol Doak piecing paper, IS NEWSPRINT. SHE CHARGES alot for her paper. Some office supply has in stock, others will order it for you.