Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Heat erasable pens >

Heat erasable pens

Heat erasable pens

Old 01-30-2024, 08:48 AM
Power Poster

The Frixon pens seem to stop working for me after a few uses. Even the new one I bought lasted only a short time. I don't' care about the ghost lines or if the ink is still there. I'm more mad because the pens do not last long. I'm using the fine line Crayola Ultra Washable markers.
Old 01-30-2024, 11:34 AM

My frixion pens have all lasted for ages so far. I understand what you are saying about permanent ghost lines in cold weather (it doesn’t get cold here) but they flow so easily! I don’t mark the front of the quilt but only on cut lines or as marker lines on seams.

I tried a sew easy white marking pen and it lasted 1 minute. DH tried everything to recussitate it. Such a waste of money. I guess it was a lemon but other reviewers say the same happened to them. At that price I won’t risk it again.
Old 01-30-2024, 11:54 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
The Frixon pens seem to stop working for me after a few uses. Even the new one I bought lasted only a short time............
If you are laying them flat between uses, stand them up. Or vice-verse. I actually have mine both ways, with no problems. But have heard others say, they last longer, when they do so.
Old 01-30-2024, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by paddingtonbear View Post
I understand what you are saying about permanent ghost lines in cold weather (it doesn’t get cold here)
You misunderstood my comment about ghost lines. I never said anything about cold weather. The people who have complained about the ghost lines say they appear and NEVER disappear, no matter what the temperature is, how much they iron, or how much they try to wash the ink out.
Old 01-30-2024, 04:04 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by paddingtonbear View Post
... I understand what you are saying about permanent ghost lines in cold weather (it doesn’t get cold here)...
Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
You misunderstood my comment about ghost lines. I never said anything about cold weather. The people who have complained about the ghost lines say they appear and NEVER disappear, no matter what the temperature is, how much they iron, or how much they try to wash the ink out.
Perhaps I can add a little more clarification here ...
The cold weather thing ... the "colour" can reappear in cold weather. Or if you put it in the freezer.

Ghost lines ... are after you iron the colour off. I have used frixions on white fabric, and if I look real close, I can see the ghost lines even on the white fabric. Doesn't matter the temperature.

All that being said ... I have also not had ghost lines appear. My guess is that I use Best Press in my prep work, and perhaps it protects the fabric from the ghosting? I have no idea.

Considering everything, while I do use Frixion pens, I use them cautiously and re-consider the risk and concerns, and whether I can accept any fall out from their use.
Old 01-31-2024, 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
Perhaps I can add a little more clarification here ...
The cold weather thing ... the "colour" can reappear in cold weather. Or if you put it in the freezer.

Ghost lines ... are after you iron the colour off. I have used frixions on white fabric, and if I look real close, I can see the ghost lines even on the white fabric. Doesn't matter the temperature.

All that being said ... I have also not had ghost lines appear. My guess is that I use Best Press in my prep work, and perhaps it protects the fabric from the ghosting? I have no idea.

Considering everything, while I do use Frixion pens, I use them cautiously and re-consider the risk and concerns, and whether I can accept any fall out from their use.
Thanks for clarifying that everyone. I didn’t realised the difference. I’ve only made 5 quilts so far so I know very little about anything!

I’ve not experienced ghost lines but I do wash and spray starch all my fabric before I start and my frixion pen marks are never on the finished quilt faces.

I do stand my frixion pens up when they are not in use.

Last edited by paddingtonbear; 01-31-2024 at 02:54 AM.
Old 01-31-2024, 05:50 AM

Well, all this information has made me re-think using frixion pens for marking my quilting lines on the baby quilt I am making next. I believe I'll use painter's tape (just don't sew on the tape - been there, done that).
bkay
Old 01-31-2024, 03:35 PM
Power Poster

I have the Frixon pens in a holder standing vertical ink flowing down. I bought all of mine at the LQS and I think they are old to begin with. I'll buy one from office supply and see if it lasts longer.
Old 02-02-2024, 10:20 AM

I just put a small mark with a Frixion pen on a pair of pants I'm hemming for a friend.They are 98% cotton and 2% "elastane" and have a woven texture.

I ironed the Frixion mark off, and it left a white mark.

It's at or below the turn of the hem, so it won't show.

Just thought I would share.

bk
Old 02-02-2024, 11:11 AM

Thank you, for letting us know your experience.