Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: Height of your cutting table?

Blog Entries
    My cutting table is 36".. tall enough that my back doesn't hurt.. low enough that I can still get the right angle on the cutter to cut easily.. and I can reach clear across the top..

My cutting/work table used to have another life.. They started out as display units with 2 large storage drawers under the top.. they are 36"X60" and used to sit back to back with jammies or undies or shirts in packages displayed on top with overstock in the drawers.. The Walker Scott department store went out of business years ago.. I bought 2 for $15 each.. My hubby built a box to fit under and raise them to the proper height. They sit end to end in my basement.. I can cut anything on them.. They're perfect.. It's amazing what you run into now and then. Heaven help us if we ever have to move them again, they weigh a ton!!

Ok I'm going to get a little technical here because we are all not the same height and that is going to make a HUGE difference in the height need for our tables.

First let me say that I am 4 feet 11 inch tall, yep I said tall. LOL
    Second, I want to say that this pass winter while cutting fire wood I decided to move a log weighting in the neighborhood of 150 lbs. Needless to say it moved me more then I moved it. Long story short. I now have two bulging disk in my neck that can bring me to my knees if I didn't make efforts to make my cutting table more suited to my height.

With that being said, my table was about 27 1/2 " tall. For someone my height you might think it was good enough. I did until the log thing. In order to be able to work on anything without further problem to my neck and back, it had to be raised. What I did was get some heavy duty rollers that are usually used on the large shop tool boxes and mounted them to the bottom of each table leg. This raised the table 3 1/2" so now I have a table that is 32" off the floor. Which makes it about 4" below my waist. At first it took some getting use to but as time passed I found that it has made my work so much easier and I no longer have problems with my neck or back. It also made it easier to clean up since I can now roll the table around when I need to and then lock it in place as well.

I would suggest that everyone look at what they are using and experiment with different heights (using blocks of wood or what ever) so they can fine one that works well for them. Then make the changes because if you don't, later on it will be a problem and in some cases it could make you loss interest in sewing because of the pains from leaning over your table.

Mine is an old kitchen table measuring 30 inches. I think it is a bit low for me and I am 5'2" tall. Can you imagine what it would be like for a taller person. The idea of the risers is great get the mgrs to do it NOW! not only for your benefit, theirs too unless they are all shorties. I am thinking of asking DH to make some thing to raise it at least 4 inches.

I use bed risers on one of my cutting tables and the table I use while basketweaving. They are sturdy and I am not "gentle" while working. My other cutting center is made on top of kitchen cabinets (2 rows back to back for a 4x8 foot surface). Both are great heights for cutting without back strain.

My sewing group in AZ uses PVC pipe on the ends of the table legs. Tables are the brown foldup tables that you can buy @ Home Depot, Sam's, Costco, etc. Works well. That way, they can easily be taken down to fit other's heights. Or raised for taller people. Works well.

Mine is 38", so I don't have to bend over to cut. A friend built the table for me and I use it for everything.

Blog Entries
    I use an old folding metal table that my mom used as a cutting table. It is way too short, so I put metal coffee cans under the legs, a piece of MDF on top to make it larger. It now measures 40 x 70 and is 36" tall, with a 35 x 70 cutting mat. Just perfect for me at 5'5". We have to be creative! I originally set this up when I made clothes to cut patterns out with. Thank goodness it is large enough to cut on and also have a stack of junk on it too!

We just had a physical therapist talk to our quilt guild about quilting injuries. His rule of thumb was that cutting tables need to be 4" below your bent elbow. The ironing board needs to be 6" below your bent elbow. Who knew?

I have a huge office desk with a motor that raises it or lowers it to what ever height I want I have a bad back and neck shoulders so it is great as I can sew on it and cut at whatever height I feel most comfortable, YAY to the neighbours that gave it to me

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I have a cutting table, don't know how high it is, but with my back injury, it is very painful for me to cut fabric. God bless.

In general work surfaces should be about elbow high, whether you use them sitting or standing.
    So if you stand in front of a cutting table with your arms bent at the elbow to a right angle (about) your hands should just about rest on the table.
    Same with sitting at the machine, the bed of the machine should be about level with your hands when you sit with arms bent at 90 degrees.

There are some variations and such, but this is the general norm.

Have fun,
    Pati, in Phx

I did have one that was 32" but could only cut for short periods of time. Now that I have one that is 36" I don't have the back pain and can cut for longer periods of time.

I took and old soild table that was my sewing table and had DH take and put 4x4's12 inches long, under the legs. He took and cut a hole in the center and placed my legs of the table right into the holes and wala instant cutting table. no more bending over. And it is great for laying out the quilt and measuring the batting for it. It is about 38". I'm 5' 8" tall.

My table is currently to short, I am going to have my boyfriend raise it with wheels so that it is waist height.

Quote Originally Posted by kathy
    if they don't want to use bed risers they could use 2X4s or even concrete blocks, they just don't want to get along nicely :cry:
    And they probably don't want to admit their mistake. My cutting table is my kitchen breakfast bar (Here in our "neck of the woods" we call it the snackbar. :o) ). Since I'm 5ft. 2in., I find it a little high, but the kitchen table is too low.

Dee
    I don't know the measurements of my table. But mine is right as I'm 5'6" 1/2. Bought the craft table from Jo Annes. It has the grids and ruler on top. Three drawers and a cupboard. It can be broken down or has 2 extension to enlarge cutting table, Love the darn thing. Only paid $199.00 for it on sale.

I'm 5'9" and my old church banquet table is on PVC posts.

It stands 35" tall and is 7" below my arm with bent elbow.

I have multiple herniated disks in low back and this is the most comfortable height for me.

I just purchased the end caps to put on the leags so they don't have to sit in theses little plastic thingy's anymore.

Banquet table with PVC raisers
    Name:  Attachment-96297.jpe
Views: 140
Size:  37.3 KB

Mine is 34", one I bought at Joann's 7 or 8 years ago...I'm 5'3", and it is just right for me. They still sell them at Joann's, usually on sale for $69.95. It has two drop leaves, but I only have one extended, it's all I need. It would be alot better than your kitchen or dining room table, for even someone taller, I think.

Sue

Quote Originally Posted by suesews
    Mine is 34", one I bought at Joann's 7 or 8 years ago...I'm 5'3", and it is just right for me. They still sell them at Joann's, usually on sale for $69.95. It has two drop leaves, but I only have one extended, it's all I need. It would be alot better than your kitchen or dining room table, for even someone taller, I think.

Sue
    Ditto for me - I'm 5' 4" and it is perfect for me

Quote Originally Posted by suesews

Sue
    I have this one too. Bought it about 4 years ago The height is fine for me I'm 5'5" The only thing is it's falling apart. I have to move it a lot and fold and unfold it. It looks like the leaning tower of piza right now. I cannot open it all the way or it sways like a hurricane is blowing. The top has also come loose. I want another cutting table but don't want to spend money on this one again to have the same thing happen. But I sure can't afford anything else I have seen. I have to have one that folds up and rolls like this one.
    Don't have a SO to make one and not healthy enough to make one myself. Just really annoying this getting old stuff. :-)

We're in the process of doing my sewing room and I opted to do without a cutting table because I have a kitchen counter, 35 1/2 " high, that works just fine. The way the whole thing is set up, I have a counter 41" by 44" accessible on 3 sides.
    I'm 5' 4" I usually cut there barefoot or in super low shoes

Blog Entries
    my cutting table is 35 inchs tall, but has adjustable legs. it is the butcher block table I had in my cafe, with a shelf under, and I added a drawer for rottery cutters and odd templets. I can use it in my studio or in my kitchen, so it is a keeper.

Thank you WVDEK you have given me a quick solution to raise my old metal legged kitchen table to a height that will suit my. Having oesteo-arthtrits in my lower back. working on the table cutting fabric my back and shoulders can get very stiff and sore .

lgc
    Blog Entries
    If I remember correctly, your cutting surface should be about six inches below your bent elbow. Of course if several people use the table it won't be correct for everyone. Good luck.

If you are using banquet tables that are too short for cutting and it/they have the curved leg at the bottom, I have purchased 1.5"(interior)diameter PVC pipe at the hardware store and cut them to size with a hand or electric saw. Slip them on the legs and it is very stable. I have them for when I go to my church to use their tables (and space) to sandwich quilts. I am 5'6" tall and cut the pieces 12" long.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4