Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help with 1/4 inch seam. >

Help with 1/4 inch seam.

Help with 1/4 inch seam.

Old 10-28-2013, 06:45 AM

Bearisgrey ssquares are what we are doing. Her pattern is easy but ....
Old 10-28-2013, 06:58 AM
amh

Your student sounds like an enthusiastic spitfire. Frustrating, but we all learn what is important at different speeds.

I haven't read all the posts, but I suspect that things won't go together well. Perhaps she'll have to add wonky borders and hers will then be unique, and a new technique will be learned by everyone in the class.

I like to enjoy the process, and it sounds as though she is certainly doing that. She may well be the next famous "art" quilter.

They are tough folks to teach, but we are all unique.

amh
Old 10-28-2013, 07:29 AM

I agree with those that say let her work with the easiest of patterns. It will come in time. I'm sewing after 45 years and still find the time to go off track every now and then. The "scant" 1/4 seam still drives me bonkers. How about letting her make a simple tunic top that is just straight seams and see the joy she'll have when finished. If she veers off on a seam then it will pull apart and I would guess she'd see how important it is to keep the seams straight. There are some folks that just weren't meant to sew/quilt even if they want to do it badly. I would love to do decorative cake decorating, but after a number of tries I have decided it wasn't meant to be so I don't do it. The blue painter's tape idea is a great one. Good luck to both of you.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:40 AM
Power Poster

Sometimes one just has to close one's eyes and let them do their thing - even if one wants to scream!
Old 10-28-2013, 09:00 AM

I have an attachment which gives a 1/4" seam automatically. Don't remember where I got it, but it is really a life-save for me! Probably one of the on-line people who sell parts would have one. If I were an artist, I would draw a picture, but not an artist, at all!!! Mariah.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:21 AM
Power Poster

Lots of good ideas. I don't have enough patience to teach someone how to sew or do anything else. A natural born teacher I am not.
I'm sure she will get it sooner or later.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:44 AM

Default Sometimes the difference between a good quarter inch seam...

[QUOTE=ckcowl;6370749]don't put so much stress on it that you take the 'joy of creating' out of the sewing. some people really are not so - detail oriented - and techniques, workmanship will improve over time- if she is happy as a lark with her project/accomplishment its ok- most of us can look back to those first quilts and see how much we have improved over the years. I have a good friend who has been quilting *creates wonderful creative quilts* - every now & then she brings me one to quilt for her- she still has 1/2" seams in spots, & barely catching seams in spots, she just doesn't worry about the technical/precision part of quilting- and she is happy. when she mentioned that she kind of felt *in a rut* always making the same style/type of quilt so fast & being bored with them I 'kindly' mentioned maybe it was time to slow down, and concentrate on improving her techniques/ workmanship- maybe choosing something new that would be a challenge & help her to slow down...her last quilt was the best in years. sometimes it's just ok to let the creative juices flow & not stress over the *other stuff* if your 'girl' sticks with it & enjoys it she will improve- if encouraged 'gently'.[/QUOTE

When I first started making quilts I had a terrible time making things fit when I used the "build strata and subcut into sections' method. Sometimes none of my corners were perfect, and since I was making 'hugs' not heirlooms, I was OK with it, not thrilled, but OK.
I happened to have one of my smaller quilt tops with me one day ay my LQS, and mentioned my problem to one of the ladies that was there. She flipped my quilt over, took one look, and said "I think I know what the problem is...".
She pointed to my seams and said " You sew these 'strata' very quickly because it is a 'quick piece method', don't you?" I looked at her astonished and said yes. She then explained how she conquered the same problem. "Just because it is called quick piece, means nothing, slow your machine down, and with tape or some such marking the perfect scant quarter inch, sew at a slower pace, until it becomes a comfortable, easy job to make a nice straight seam. As over simplified as it sounds, it worked! Now I can even speed up and I will still get a nice even quarter inch seam. (I have a bright orange piece of duct tape marking the scant quarter inch on my machine bed that just lives there. I do replace it as needed.)
BTW- Never assume you can let your mind wander, while the machine is in motion! (Another fault I found when I first slowed down. Lol.)
Old 10-28-2013, 10:01 AM

Haven't read all the posts but have her try using a patch of material to begin sewing & ending ala Bonnie Hunter style. She may not be up to making beginner/ender blocks now but having something to sew off onto helps keep me from letting my material slide off to the left.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:11 AM

Hi Dottymo, perhaps suggest to your new quilting friend that she takes things a little slower, relax and enjoy.I still sometimes go out on my seams -- but as they say, if you can ride a horse past and see the mistake, then worry about it. You are good to encourage her, it seems she knows she is doing it wrong from what you say, time will help I am sure bless her-- and you. Lettyxx
Old 10-28-2013, 11:13 AM

A couple of things that might help some:
-teach her to watch the edge of the fabric and the edge of the presser foot (or 1/4 inch seam guide, and NOT where the needle is going
-teach her to let the machine do the work, and not yank and pull and push at the fabric. The machine will guide the fabric through, and a very light touch with her hands just to keep it straight
hope that helps a bit!