Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help / Advice please >

Help / Advice please

Help / Advice please

Old 02-16-2015, 05:08 PM

Default Help / Advice please

Hi Guys,

i am am going to back a pram sized puff quilt with Minky. I have never used this fabric before but I have heard a lot of nightmare stories about using this stuff...... So, can you please let me know what you have done to tame the Minky Monster when you used it?.... Pleeeaaaase!!!

Hugs

Caroline
Old 02-16-2015, 06:15 PM

I've never done a puff quilt, so have no idea how the construction of that will relate to the one time I used Minkey. I've only used it to back a flannel pieced quilt.

The two things I noticed about Minkey is that A) it stretches a lot and B) the reverse side is slippery. To handle both the stretching and the slippery issue I used basting spray to baste my quilt, and a walking foot to quilt it (I did do some FMQ around some of the appliqué - but the bulk of the quilt was SITD with a walking foot).

Spray basting helped tame the slipperiness of the reverse side of the minkey. Without every square inch of the quilt basted together by spray, any unabated area wants to "walk" away from the quilt top while quilting - even with a walking foot. It just slides around and you get puckers, puckers, puckers!!!

I did prewash my Minkey, not for the shrinkage issue (I don't know if it shrinks), but for the "fuzz" issue. Like flannel, the first wash and dry will create a good amount of fuzz.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-17-2015, 02:17 AM

Thanks Sue,

I will PM soon!

Hugs

Caroline
Old 02-17-2015, 05:30 AM
Power Poster

I stitched pillows with it once and it is like a very stretchy like a bias knit. Not sure if it will work or not but you can always try to make a few puff blocks. If you had the backing something more stable, I think it would work.