Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help with applique - thread problems >

Help with applique - thread problems

Help with applique - thread problems

Old 07-01-2019, 10:02 AM

Here is the list of needles I have tried:

Schmetz gold 90/14 - these were recommended by someone online on a video who was appliquing 3-4 layers at a time
Schmetz 80 Topstitch
Schmetz 75 Quilting
Schmetz Super 100/16 (these are supposed to be non-stick needles specifically for applique)

Threads:

Gutterman cotton
gutterman polyester
thread art cotton
brother rayon
brother cotton
brother polyester

Fusible:
heat and bond - light or medium (tried both)

Bobbins are only from Brother - and they are brand new

Presser foot - tried light / heavy and default position

I will mention to the dealer to check inside the machine for those issues - thank you!

I never pull the thread out the bad way LOL - I learned that in my first "instructional class" with my husqvarna!

I will wait and see what she says when I get it back this week ...

Thanks all
Old 07-01-2019, 10:12 AM

This may sound silly but I have seen it more than once... Is your needle in the correct way? That is so that your thread can glide through the groove on the needle.
Old 07-01-2019, 10:14 AM

Sorry to hijack the post but...
There is a correct way to pull the thread out? ��
I had no idea and sounds like I am doing it the bad way.... what is the correct way?
What would the result be of doing it wrong?
Old 07-01-2019, 10:26 AM

RJ,

On our Brother/BL machines the local dealer insists that we pull from the needle down like you are threading the machine. Pulling backwards from the top can cause issues in tension discs if I remember the lecture correctly. LOL.

A friend did pull threads backwards and created a burr inside the machine. I don't know if this is for all machine brands or not. I do my best to pull thread through to the needle area. Hope that helps!
Old 07-02-2019, 11:19 AM

Ok you posted your thread brands and needle sizes, but you need to make sure your thread size is compatible with your needle size. For instance, if you're using a 40 wt thread, which is fairly thick, with a size 8 or 10 needle, you will most likely get shredding and breakage because that needle is way too small for that thread.

I think these links will be very informative for you.
https://www.superiorthreads.com/educ...e-right-needle

https://www.superiorthreads.com/educ...read-shredding
Old 07-04-2019, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by juliasb View Post
This may sound silly but I have seen it more than once... Is your needle in the correct way? That is so that your thread can glide through the groove on the needle.
Not silly because let's face it, we've all done things like that! But, no it's in right!
Old 07-04-2019, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
Ok you posted your thread brands and needle sizes, but you need to make sure your thread size is compatible with your needle size. For instance, if you're using a 40 wt thread, which is fairly thick, with a size 8 or 10 needle, you will most likely get shredding and breakage because that needle is way too small for that thread.

I think these links will be very informative for you.
https://www.superiorthreads.com/educ...e-right-needle

https://www.superiorthreads.com/educ...read-shredding
Thanks for this, but alas, no, it's not the thread weight either.

I'm using a light thread in a top stitch needle.

What is most annoying is that it is only when I am doing FMQ on applique. So it has to be because of the fusible web, but I don't understand why. I can do "normal" applique - 3-4 layers, with the applique stitch and it's perfectly fine - regardless of thread or needle.

I got the machine back yesterday, and there's nothing "wrong" with it - she says there's no reason that she can see why it would do that. She's just as frustrated as I am, because I've done it in front of her.

I'm going to see if I can find someone that can come to my house and watch what I am doing and see it happen right there.

For all I know it's me that is doing something wrong - the way I FMQ?
Old 07-04-2019, 12:47 PM
Power Poster

MarionQuilts ... but in her declaration that there is nothing wrong, is she using the same set up as you and making it stitch properly? Unless/Until she does, that is not an acceptable response on her part.

So, you have done it in front of her and had problems.....
Then ...... she should be able to get you to do it "right".

As for someone coming to your home ....
.... that's the support you should be getting from your dealer in her shop.

As for you doing something wrong when FMQing ... of course, it's possible.
Though you are able to FMQ, and quite admirably so! So it's not that you do not know how.

Going with the assumption that it is the fusible web ... are you ever able to get it to stitch properly in any form with the web? If so, then see what is different when it fails. If not, eliminate the web and do some sample work to acceptable levels. Then using the same settings and options, do a sample with the fusible. Make notes as you make changes.

When I am messing around in this way, I keep a Sharpie handy, and note next to every step along the way, what settings, needle, thread, etc. Just be sure to only change one thing at a time, otherwise you don't know what created the success.

It's all a slow and tedious process and if you are like me, you feel like you are "wasting" a lot of good fabric to get to the desired end. I know you are up for the challenge .... and will figure this out.
Old 07-06-2019, 05:59 AM

Marion,

Still trying to trouble shoot the issues you are having with FMQ. Try a topstitch 90/14 needle.

Are you FMQ over the applique? What speed is the machine setting lever on? Try a slower speed.

Next, try the same set-up and see if straight stitching has the same problems. It might be the turning and twisting of the quilt sandwich that causes the problems.

I use machine EMB polyester thread in the top and bobbin for sewing/quilting without issues. I made a small wall hanging using heat n bond lite. There were lots of decorative stitches right over the appliques and I had none of the issues you have experienced. The decorative stitches moved back and forth similar to your FMQ.

Is the HnB product old and gummy perhaps?

What batting are you using? Perhaps a different batting will work better.